uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

[PvP] Rare 3s composition

So I finally gave up on Enhancement PvP for my Shaman, and respecced and started to gear for Resto PvP. I ran random BGs this weekend until my eyes bled, and capped my Conquest points with some 2s games. In the beginning, without gear, I was getting annihilated in BGs, and was running OOM before I could blink, really. As I started picking up more and more Resto specific PvP stuff, my survivability and mana consumption both improved greatly. By the time I felt geared enough to step into the arena to try to cap my Conquest points, I was ~3.3k resilience, 140k health and 106k mana. I paired up with a good real life buddy of mine on his Warlock at first (a great 2s combo)...we played one game and got absolutely destroyed, so bad I was embarrassed and said, "Let me get some more gear and we'll try again later.". He didn't wanna give up and decided to swap to his DK, on whom he is much better geared and skilled. We then went 5-1...none of the wins were ever in danger, and the one loss was to a Rogue/DK team that simply outplayed us. We weren't on vent or anything, since we were just getting my cap we weren't really being too serious about it at first.

I realize 6 games with this comp isn't nearly a large enough sample to determine whether it is decent or not, and frankly, 2s doesn't really matter to me much...It's just there to help me get my Conq cap for the week, and to increase it a little, if things go well.

So, the main focus for myself and my DK buddy will shift to 3's. The comp we are pretty set on running is going to be Frost DK/BM Hunter/Resto Shaman. I tried my best to do some research on this comp, and not only does it not have a name, but I could only find 1 thread on arenajunkies about it, and the thread consisted of a guy asking advice and another guy saying DK should go UH...that was it...3 posts.

So, does anyone have any experience playing as or against this comp? Does anyone have any advice on strategy? Or just want to discuss it with me?

I'm kind of bored at work...
--
McBrain#1558 - Barbarian/Monk

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
More than likely going to have DK go Unholy to prevent super DR on all of our CC.

We're not trying to go gladiator, obviously, just mucking around for som fun. I think our cap will be somewhere around 1800 or so, which I would be cool with. Any thoughts?

knowble

join:2012-07-30
Newport News, VA
I haven't done arena since it was first released way back in the day. My team was comprised of my two best friends - one a lock, the other a rogue, and I a holy paladin. It was so much fun... I believe we capped at 1900 but could have gone further if we spent more time gearing up.

I will be getting back into it with either my mage (almost 85!) or my paladin when MoP releases. What server are you on?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Kil'Jaeden.

The only problem with this comp is that Hungering Cold, Hex, and Frost Trap all share diminishing returns. Hopefully the burst those guys are able to put out outweighs the lack of crowd control we will have.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
You would be better off getting a warlock and running rsham/unholy DK/ Aff lock. Locks are THE best dps class in 3s especially when paired with a restro shammy. Also at this point in the expac everyone is full cata geared. So if you are a healer with less then 5k res you will get blown up in 3s (I run 3s on restro shammy and I get butt raped with 4.7k res). Like I said the problem is every DPS is full cata and you will be facing a lot of legendary rogues and casters.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to McBrain
said by McBrain:

Kil'Jaeden.

I started a couple troll druids with my son on KJ yesterday. got them to lvl 9. joined a brand new lvl 25 guild transfer "mines bigger" on there within 20 minutes too.
--
Good evening!

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
KJ is a pretty populated server. I've been on there just over a year, and it seems that recently we've gotten a ton of guild xfers. I've had interaction with probably 5 or 6 myself.

PvP is and always has been a big focus for the entire server, and we actually have a couple of raiding guilds ranked in the top 500 worldwide.

And Vince, maybe it was just the teams we were paired with in 2s Saturday night, but I only got blown up once. It was by a Rogue who just played his opener on me perfectly and kept me stunned from 100%-0%. Through my trinket and everything, I honestly felt like there was nothing I could do, he flat out just outplayed me.

The other 5 games were pretty cake, to be honest. I never really came close to going oom, I only dropped below 50% health once, but that was easily taken care of with an Unleash Elements -> Nature's Swiftness -> Instant GHW.

I realize that 3s > 2s when it comes to damage, skill, coordination, the whole nine. And maybe that step is too much for me at this point, considering I'm going into it about 8 months behind the curve. But, I'll give it a go. If it's no fun I can bide my time until MoP is released and get in on the ground floor.

The real problem here is that I got my Priest in full Cata in February, shortly after that my RBG group fell apart. Then I lost all interest in playing that character again so I bounced around doing some PvE, then finally decided a little bit ago to play the Shaman. Mistakingly I thought that I could make Enhancement PvP work at a decently high level, and once I realized I was wrong decided just last week to gear and spec for Resto.

Indecision will be the death of me, I swear.
--

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
Yea 2s are a lot diff then 3s. You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of people that only play 2s to cap points. So the people you play in 2s at low rating have almost zero coordination and most likely are not very skilled. Plus DKs are really good in 2s when paired with any healer. No one plays 3s just for points cap, so all the teams you face in 3s will be going for rating and will be geared and coordinated for the most part. Rsham/DK/Hunter is going to be pretty hard to play. You dont have spammable CC so if you miss your timing or make any mistakes its gonna cost you. Thats why I think you should get a lock. He can spam fear everything and put pressure on everyone while the DK builds up necrotic stacks on the kill target.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Good points. The reason we have the comp we do is because the DK and I work together and hang out quite a bit outside of work. The Hunter is one of the better WoW players that I have ever played with...I mean, some of the things he does flat out amaze me.

The fact that we have no spammable CC and what we do have shared DR is a real turn off for this comp.

I was looking forward to it working, too. I even came up with my own name for the comp...Wiz Khalifa Cleave, lol.
--