uniqs
share rss forum feed

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to cowboyro

Re: what do do if ground wire is nowhere to be found?

said by cowboyro:

I've had one of those. Enough hot water to take a shower.
Grounding is done through the plumbing anyway and the ground wire is extra grounding.

Grounding can't be through the plumbing, All the plumbing I've seen (exposed) was PVC
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Really. It seems like the closer you get the equator, the plumbing becomes anything that will hold water. I noticed cobbled together garden hose seemed to be "material of choice" for the "water main" in some South American regions.

It makes you appreciate how good we have it here.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to piotroosh

wow pictures that PSWired posted are crazy :-/

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to PoloDude

said by PoloDude:

said by cowboyro:

I've had one of those. Enough hot water to take a shower.
Grounding is done through the plumbing anyway and the ground wire is extra grounding.

Grounding can't be through the plumbing, All the plumbing I've seen (exposed) was PVC

In other parts of the world they use solutions that last. Usually copper or lead pipes.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Really. It seems like the closer you get the equator, the plumbing becomes anything that will hold water. I noticed cobbled together garden hose seemed to be "material of choice" for the "water main" in some South American regions.

It makes you appreciate how good we have it here.

They use PVC and galvanized iron pipe. Copper pipe is more of a developed country thing due to cost.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

I took all of those in a 1 week span!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Copper pipe is more of a developed country thing due to cost.

And it's slowly going away as well.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC

2 edits
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Illegal in every jurisdiction in the USA and Canada I'd imagine.

Don't think so. They are common in Puerto Rico (a US jurisdiction) but they are normally mounted in the proper way with a grounded dedicated outlet placed high in the wall. Small rural homes are not necessarily built with hot water piping, so the shower heater is the best solution. In those cases the outlet is usually placed when the house is built. The heaters come from the factory with the proper cable attached so no need to do this fancy wiring seen here. I particularly like the ground they used. Whole house tankless heaters (which is essentially a bigger version of a shower heater) are becoming popular.

They are also used where supply water is not very cold like here in the tropics, hence the popularity in Latinamerican countries.

Here is a company that makes and sells them here. »www.marey.com/

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
reply to piotroosh

Used one of these every day for two months while in Costa Rica.

The one I used would burn up if you ran it 'dry', but couldn't keep up with a strong water flow.

So you had to first turn the water on low and then step into the water (the only way you could reach the switch).

And the switch was an old-style, double-blade knife switch.

The blades were exposed, but at least the handle tip was porcelain.

Had to be careful to make sure your wet hand didn't slip and make contact with either metal blade.

Fun to watch the lights dim and hear the heater buzzing a few inches above your head.

I much prefer the small (10 gallon, light manually before each shower), propane-fired, tank water heaters I used in Mexico.

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

1 recommendation

reply to piotroosh

Is that a cup of dirt, making it an... Earth ground?

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to PSWired

said by PSWired:

Exposed connections for the showerhead water heaters were common when I was in Brazil last year. No splashing!

You have to be joking? and that Country will be hosting the 2016 Olympics what a joke!!!!
--
Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

They use PVC and galvanized iron pipe. Copper pipe is more of a developed country thing due to cost.

I've still got the original galvanized iron pipes in my house from 1916. From my water meter to the galvanized pipe I've had two leaks and replaced two 1ft sections with new pipe both times. I'm hoping this one will last more than a year. Then I had another on the mains cities side of the shutoff valve four years before the meter install, so did my neighbor a few houses down. 6mo after that in the dead of winter my nextdoor neighbor had it happen. Where the copper pipes started going. They did the same a block over last year, and went from galvanized to copper, and it's starting to happen there too. The bloody water here is so hard it's stupid(lime capital of the world just down the road), it eats the copper pipe for breakfast.

Copper is nice and all. But for some places, it's just too soft especially if they're not treating it to reduce the hardness before it goes out.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network

said by Mashiki:

From my water meter to the galvanized pipe I've had two leaks and replaced two 1ft sections with new pipe both times.

So, you have both copper and galvanized? That's why you have leaks. Put in a dielectric union or the galvanic action will eat away the copper.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House

said by UHF:

So, you have both copper and galvanized? That's why you have leaks. Put in a dielectric union or the galvanic action will eat away the copper.

There is one, I just didn't say so. I'm using a brass union between the two. The flow path though is copper to galvanized. But that's not why there are leaks, the water is just that hard with a base PH of around 7.7, the lowest I've ever seen it here is around 7.5

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to PSWired

said by PSWired:

said by Subaru:

I took all of those in a 1 week span!

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Mashiki

said by Mashiki:

the water is just that hard with a base PH of around 7.7, the lowest I've ever seen it here is around 7.5

I don't think a PH of 7.5 or even 7.7 would by itself be the cause of any problems.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

It would increase slightly the rate of scale build-up. But probably not significantly as to cause problems in the short term.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to brhalltx

said by brhalltx:

Is that a cup of dirt, making it an... Earth ground?

Sure the fuck what it looked like to me. I think the OP meant it as satire.

--
August is National Eye Exam Month