spc
uniqs
dasbin
join:2003-08-07

dasbin to scubascythan

to scubascythan

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed only 1-4Mbps - Vancouver

said by scubascythan:

Shaw doesn't throttle downloads at all. It's just bad congestion in your area during peak hours.

This explains neither why every download during these times download would begin at full speed (~12 Megabytes / sec) then taper to almost nothing within 20 seconds, nor why the Shaw Speed Test is able to report full speed all the time. If my nodes were saturated, neither would be possible.

It looks a lot like Shaw's main pipe to the rest of the internet is saturated during peak hours, which is triggering auto traffic shaping based on length of a connection (longer connection = shaping engaged). Just a theory, but hard to explain this behaviour any other way.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by dasbin:

said by scubascythan:

Shaw doesn't throttle downloads at all. It's just bad congestion in your area during peak hours.

This explains neither why every download during these times download would begin at full speed (~12 Megabytes / sec) then taper to almost nothing within 20 seconds, nor why the Shaw Speed Test is able to report full speed all the time. If my nodes were saturated, neither would be possible.

It looks a lot like Shaw's main pipe to the rest of the internet is saturated during peak hours, which is triggering auto traffic shaping based on length of a connection (longer connection = shaping engaged). Just a theory, but hard to explain this behaviour any other way.

Very broad statement. Could you provide more details on the equipment and the action that is being taken while this slow down is occuring

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to dasbin

to dasbin
@dasbin - could you pm me your account details so we can investigate the issues you're having further?

Cheers.

Alder
@shawcable.net

Alder

Anon

I have done speedtests on my Mac, I did a wireless test and a test without wireless.

I am getting around 48Mbps download. I have a gigabit router Linksys dir 655.

Shouldn't I at least get over 50 Mbps? Because I never have.

Thanks
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by Alder :

I have done speedtests on my Mac, I did a wireless test and a test without wireless.

I am getting around 48Mbps download. I have a gigabit router Linksys dir 655.

Shouldn't I at least get over 50 Mbps? Because I never have.

Thanks

That depends on which package you have?
danimaltron
join:2012-08-23

danimaltron to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I'm in Mission, BC, and I have been getting 7-25Mbps/s tonight down from Shaw's speed test. I just got connected today. BB100. Very disappointed as I've had a lot of other issues with Shaw lately related to a previous no-show appointment, and billing mistakes.