FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

Re: Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

Not knowing the details of the fence line, why couldn't he have just walked along the fence line until he got somewhere he could be noticed?

Even if he does get charged, public outrage over the incident will hopefully get them dropped. But of course, the officials in charge of security have to have some time to beat their chests first...

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to rotate the universe.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by FutureMon:

Not knowing the details of the fence line, why couldn't he have just walked along the fence line until he got somewhere he could be noticed?

Even if he does get charged, public outrage over the incident will hopefully get them dropped. But of course, the officials in charge of security have to have some time to beat their chests first...

- FM

In my opinion, he did something stupid and SHOULD be charged for it as there were other ways for him to get help that would not have involved jumping a chain link fence into a KNOWN SECURE area.

Also, there SHOULD be an investigation as to why the multi-million dollar system that WE the tax payers paid for did not work.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

1 recommendation

said by ropeguru:

said by FutureMon:

- FM

In my opinion, he did something stupid and SHOULD be charged for it as there were other ways for him to get help that would not have involved jumping a chain link fence into a KNOWN SECURE area.

Also, there SHOULD be an investigation as to why the multi-million dollar system that WE the tax payers paid for did not work.

that's absurd!. would it be a crime to break into a house that is on fire to rescue possible occupants? NO!. would it be a crime to kill an arsonist who is about to set fire to a house or building? NO!. it's quite ok to commit a lower crime to prevent a higher crime. trespassing to save a life is quite ok in the U.S.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by iknow:

would it be a crime to break into a house that is on fire to rescue possible occupants? NO!.

I don't think he 'broke into the airport' to rescue anyone there.

would it be a crime to kill an arsonist who is about to set fire to a house or building? NO!.

I don't think anyone was about to set fire to the airport.

it's quite ok to commit a lower crime to prevent a higher crime. trespassing to save a life is quite ok in the U.S.

He was supposedly trespassing to supposedly save his own life. Although once he was on shore, maybe he was no longer in imminent danger of loss of life.

And in any case, your argument does not generally hold. One may expect the jury to consider the compelling need of preventing the 'higher crime', but there is AFAIK no such statute in law.

But in this situation there was no 'higher crime' to be prevented.

--
It's not that I think he ought to be charged with trespass, it's simply that the arguments you put up are irrelevant.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by FutureMon:

- FM

After looking at birdseye on Bing I don't think he had much choice. Realizing he was in dark and needing to swim for it, you naturally are going to save your ass and swim towards lights (I've been on a disabled power boat in the dark out in similar surroundings.. you can't see shore or any land in the dark unless there are lights). There doesn't appear to be anything but the airport around there. Looks undeveloped, swaps, and a golf course closest. The rest is the airport property.

Of course, he could have walked miles on the perimeter of the fence (assuming it was passable all the way around, but if it's dark you can't tell that) after that 3 mile swim to the front of the airport, but he didn't.

Whether he physically could or not or just didn't is still unknown - but if he could, so what? he's charged with climbing the fence. What's the PA to do? Not charge him and say, cool story bro? Of course they will and should. Doesn't mean the charges might not be dropped or reduced later either. It must be investigated completely first IMHO.

Even so, I bet he's glad to be alive to face the charges. That's a far better scenario than drowning.

-Jim

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

In my opinion, he did something stupid and SHOULD be charged for it...

I agree.
Castillo made a bunch of mistakes to get to where he was and even though he may have done the right thing to him, jumping an 8 foot fence to get to help quickly, he should still pay for jumping the fence. I think paying a fine would be fair and end the matter.

The bigger story here is why this expensive security system didn't work.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by Rook008:

The bigger story here is why this expensive security system didn't work.

Agreed...