uniqs
share rss forum feed

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to Ralph63

Re: I was wondering

Um.. Are you familiar with recent fiber technology? If there's a break in the line (or defect), they can find it rather quickly and can usually trace it to inches or less. Repairing it is easy too since most of the fibers in a fiber bundle have a color-coded jacket.

The main issue is spectrum. They want it all and the intelligent ones tell them to piss off. Would you like the entire spectrum to be utilized for phone service? Heck no. I like my OTA broadcasts, thank you.

As for "Walkie Talkie" systems, that's one particular frequency that's shared between everyone. If you get a few hundred on the same frequency, it's damn near impossible to talk *and* you get to hear everyone's conversation.

Wireless is *NOT* the future, as everyone thinks it is. Sure, it's convenient, but in the long run it won't be able to handle the traffic. As for satellite, are you at all familiar with technology? Do you realize the latency satellite has? I hope you like a 1-2 second delay in your conversation.

Replying to this post has given me a migraine. Better get some caffeine to ward it off.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.3G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]