Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

[News] A tip of the hat to the UK

Gee, been quiet here.

I noted that for the top five medal-winning countries, the UK was the top per capita in Olympic medals.

Pretty good

The per capita statistics were interesting to peruse;

»www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablo···sualised

also see »www.medalspercapita.com/

I note that Ireland did pretty well too...

So, how did all the Olympic brouhaha affect your lives? Any photos?

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I got to enjoy the Olympics from our new place in Wales (just across the Shropshire border). Being about 170 miles from London (and other venues), traffic was not a problem.

I don't normally follow the Olympics, but I have discovered that THE WIFE is a big fan, so we saw a good deal of the entire event. Very nicely done by the BBC (unlike, apparently, NBC in the US with its surfeit of commercials and partial time-delayed coverage).

I've now managed to spend enough time in the UK that I could thoroughly enjoy the Opening Ceremony, although I gather many in the US got a bit lost on some references. On the other hand, I didn't find the Closing Ceremony as fascinating.

The people I've spoken to locally were quite happy with the performance of Team GB and there were a number of events in which Team GB finished an agonizingly close fourth. (There was also a lot of relief at the lack of any major snafus.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a cat flap to install.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium
join:2001-08-10
England
reply to EGeezer
Shame on you: Reading that left wing rag!
--
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK
reply to EGeezer
The Olympics has certainly inspired the government: »www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19263693

Critics are warning that new rules on outdoor space for pupils in England to do PE will make it easier for schools to sell off playing fields.

Team GB set out their stall and because there are no easy games at this level they gave it 110%. At the end of the day you can't ask for more.
--
Overflow error in /dev/null

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to John2g
said by John2g:

Shame on you: Reading that left wing rag!

I knew that would get you out of hibernation!

My most favorite is The Register.

»www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK
reply to EGeezer
What fascinated me was who (would have) finished 12th in the medal table (official) as counted by the entire world (except the USA who count it differently - aparently...)

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19260777

»www.yorkshire.com/media/2399902/···0web.pdf

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
reply to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

(There was also a lot of relief at the lack of any major snafus.)

Ah, well, when the US flag was being raised (in honour of Serena Williams winning the women's tennis gold) a gust of wind caught it and it fluttered to the ground. This seemed to go down very badly with many Americans on YouTube. I'm sure at least one of them declared these the worst Olympics since the Nazi infested Berlin games of 1936.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
Okay, back in the US now.

I don't really worry much about YouTube comments. Or Twitter . . . Or Facebook . . .

Like they say, opinions are like arseholes, . . .

For my money (and opinion), you guys did yourselves proud -- both in managing the entire event and in competing. It was very classy throughout. I particularly noticed the agonizing failure to medal of some British athletes, but many of them will be back next time around in Rio with excellent chances to improve just that little bit more.

And I also have to give credit to the BBC coverage which was more than willing to dump accolades on athletes from other nations.

Well done, carry on.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Fenrogue

join:2010-11-04
And, we had Michael Johnson who, in my opinion, one of the best presenters / summarisers there is.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pjr
said by Pjr:

Team GB set out their stall and because there are no easy games at this level they gave it 110%. At the end of the day you can't ask for more.

'Advanced Colloquial English' lessons for jvmorris See Profile ?

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
said by dave:

'Advanced Colloquial English' lessons for jvmorris See Profile ?

Unfortunately, dave, all such classes have been eliminated. Seems there's now a replacement set of classes in 'Remedial Colloquial Polish' targeting retail customer service employees.

Given the current economic situation in the UK and the Government austerity practices put in place by the Coalition, this apparently was deemed a more appropriate use of limited continuing education funds.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris