spc
uniqs
dasbin
join:2003-08-07

4 edits

dasbin to Doonz

to Doonz

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed only 1-4Mbps - Vancouver

Happens with any type of download (I have an Easynews subscription for testing Usenet speeds). They all exhibit the exact same behaviour. Shaw in-network connections are fine, anything else tapers from full to very slow within about 20 seconds.
I understand the desire to get some specs on server bw and utilization (I don't have any), but the problem is absolutely broad enough that this can be ruled out. *Any* download from *any* source outside of Shaw network during peak hours. I've tried hundred of downloads from wildly varying sources through the last month; they are all the same. Running a Shaw Speed test during these times reports full speed. Starting a new download (or pausing / resuming a current one) resets that download speed back to full, then quickly down again. No problems during off-peak hours, ruling out my equipment or connection.

Cisco DPC-3825 modem in bridge mode.
Linksys E4200 router.

No problems until about a month ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure the timing of it starting lines up with the big server fire in Calgary. Probably just a coincidence, although this is also the time when I switched from BB50 (which always maintained full speed) to BB100 (which tapers to these ~1-4 Mbps off-network speeds in peak hours).

I should also note that my trace-route ping skyrockets during the problem times from 14ms to over 110ms. The entirety of the increase resides in the Shaw router hops (*.vc.shawcable.net and *.cl.shawcable.net).
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by dasbin:

Happens with any type of download (I have an Easynews subscription for testing Usenet speeds). They all exhibit the exact same behaviour. Shaw in-network connections are fine, anything else tapers from full to very slow within about 20 seconds.
I understand the desire to get some specs on server bw and utilization (I don't have any), but the problem is absolutely broad enough that this can be ruled out. *Any* download from *any* source outside of Shaw network during peak hours. I've tried hundred of downloads from wildly varying sources through the last month; they are all the same. Running a Shaw Speed test during these times reports full speed. Starting a new download (or pausing / resuming a current one) resets that download speed back to full, then quickly down again. No problems during off-peak hours, ruling out my equipment or connection.

Cisco DPC-3825 modem in bridge mode.
Linksys E4200 router.

No problems until about a month ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure the timing of it starting lines up with the big server fire in Calgary. Probably just a coincidence, although this is also the time when I switched from BB50 (which always maintained full speed) to BB100 (which tapers to these ~1-4 Mbps off-network speeds in peak hours).

I should also note that my trace-route ping skyrockets during the problem times from 14ms to over 110ms. The entirety of the increase resides in the Shaw router hops (*.vc.shawcable.net and *.cl.shawcable.net).

Dunno im still around 28MB/s
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to dasbin

to dasbin
said by dasbin:

This doesn't describe congestion of the last mile. That would slow all things equally.