share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..

Even Minecraft brings this card to its knees...

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, which has a P4 3.0, and a ATI Radeon X300 w/ 128MB ram. (Lists on Dell's site as Card, Graphics, 128, X300 Server Enhanced, MRMGA8, 2).

I'm running 2GB system ram and Windows XP Pro.

I am wondering if upgrading to a better card would let me actually play some kind of games on this thing. Right now, about the only thing I play is Minecraft, and occasionally WoW.

I'm trying to keep my budget under $100, as I don't want to spend too much on this old machine. (I am planning building a new system next year.) I was looking at something in the GeForce GTX 550 or GTX 610 family... depending on what I can get my hands on.

Any recommendations? I'm not a big fan of ATI, but I'll try anything once... I've usually used nVidia products, except if it was something included in the system or embedded....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Well just off of seeing that its a P4 I wouldn't put anything from the GTX era in it.

It might not even have a PCIe slot but an AGP slot, and that'd make it hard to find

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
ok found a page with info

Ok you have a PCIe slot but I'd bet its only a 1.0 slot
still I think a GTX card would be greatly held back by the CPU

»support.dell.com/support/edocs/S ··· p1052308

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Yeah, it's PCIe, not AGP...

My theory was that if I end up building a new system, I could move the video card to the new system.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to DarkLogix
So, would one of those work, or should I shoot for something else?

I happen to be in Orlando today, down the street from a CompUSA store, and I was planning on dropping by there and picking up a new video card today....

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Well I think it would work (in that the computer should be able to use it) though it might be interesting to see what such an CPU limited setup would do.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
My plan was to get a card that I could transfer to a new system when I build it (that will be a different thread).

I'd imagine the card would no longer be the bottleneck, that the CPU and the bus would be now the bottleneck.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Ya if you get one of the ones you mentioned the CPU and Bus will be the bottle neck.

as to the effect of that I don't know.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Also, I was thinking maybe a card based on a GeForce 8400 GS chipset, They are found on a couple of cheaper cards in the 40-50 range.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Well, I picked up a GTX 550 Ti based card. Have to post some specifics on it here in a few when I unbox it.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to neonhomer
a 6850 is better than 550ti and usually costs less, granted the 550ti has physx I think, but that doesn't add that much especially for the price/bang:buck.

Also since minecraft is written in java, coupled with notch's programming, it sucks and needs good-ish computers. If it was written in c++ you would probably be able to run it fine.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
Okay. The card I picked up is a PNY GeForce GTX 550 Ti, with 1GB GDDR5. »www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ··· =1883755 is the link to the card on CompUSA's website.

Not bad, but I know I am definitely going to need a new system here soon. So many CPU's... so little time....

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Whats your budget for the cpu? If possible a 2500k is best possibly a 3570k if you don't mind supporting(monetarily) cpu level drm. run about $200-$230 unless theres a microcenter near by. or an i3, be it sandy or ivy bridge for about $100.

from amd overclock an 965tBE(3.8ghz at least) or 4170(or 4100 oc'd to at least 4.2ghz, the speed the 4170 comes at stock) Each of those will run about $90-100

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
I'm wanting to stay under the Intel flag for now....

I need to put together a budget for my new system. I want to stay under $500 total if I can, but if I have to spend more, I will (especially on the CPU.) I can save a few bucks by reusing my old harddrives (all SATA), and my video card. So I will need:

Case
Power Supply
Motherboard
CPU
RAM

I'm not a big overclocker, or a hardcore gamer. Mostly what I run is either WoW or Minecraft, but I also use my computer to run Niagara AX (for building/HVAC automation systems), which is also relies heavily on Java. I also do some PaintShopPro/Photoshop work for graphics (for Niagara and personal).

One thing I was also told, and have done, is buy the best motherboard I can get my hands on, and skimp on the CPU. That way, I can always upgrade the CPU at a later date (when funds allow.)

I was thinking maybe a Core i5-3570K, 3.4GHz. $230 from CompUSA... For the motherboard, I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 for $120.

That's $350 for board and chip... Then probably another $100 for the memory, and maybe another $200 for P/S and Case...
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

1 edit
$100 for ram? How much are you getting 24GB? 8 is only about $40-$50. I would suggest a 2500k over the 3570k if you want a chip that can oc. a 2400 if you don't plan to oc ever. Theres only about a 4%(on average, but some things, not games, are as high as 10% but some as low as 1% iirc) difference between the 2500k and the 3570k, and the 2500k will cost less. The difference between the 3570k and 2400 is bigger, but barely and its still a very good cpu and will be for some time and it will save even more money over the 3570k. Also if you ever need to upgrade to the 3570k from one of the other two chips you can because they use the same slot. I do warn you do NOT get a z75 or 77 mobo if you choose not to get the 3570k, the 2xxx chips dont have usb 3 native and need onboard controllers for it to work with them, the p67 and z68 that have usb 3 come with said controller. the z77 and 75 dont because they were made for ivy bridge which have usb 3.0 native.

A good case can be had for $50-60(be it the 912 or some of antec's stuff) the psu will be $60 or so for a 650w 80+ psu. so theres $110 there.

$110-ish for case+psu
$220-ish for cpu
$45 for 8GB ram
$80 for hdd
$60-100 for a good motherboard.
eh $550-ish should be about the price.

you already have a gpu, so Im not factoring that in the price of this build.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
I was looking at the wrong thing for RAM... DOH!

I'll have to digest this tomorrow. Maybe I can scrape the funds together to build this before next year.

What sucks is I will still be running Windows XP Pro until I can get Windows 7...
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to neonhomer
Don't buy the most expensive motherboard (which can run up to $200-400), buy the one with the features you need, while avoiding the absolute cheapest ones out there.

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case or COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $60
PSU: Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply - $70 (I wouldn't go any cheaper, you never want to skimp on a PSU, and these are great units)
CPU: (If overclocking) Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - $230
(If not overclocking) Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD - $200 (note, this is $50 cheaper if you can get someone to pick it up in-store at a Microcenter)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - $46
MOBO: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $85

Total: $491 ($461 if you get the non-K processor)
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
One thing I want to avoid is a mobo w/ on-board video. Why get it if I never use it.... And after reading the specs, it says it doesn't have onboard video, but shows VGA/HDMI ports.... Weird...

I've always been a fan (and a user) of full-tower cases. Probably because I've always have numerous hard drives in my systems. (My last one had six PATA, and two PATA optical drives.)

I might decide to OC at a later date. Always wanted to dabble in water cooling too..

THanks for the suggestions everyone. I welcome anyone else who reads to suggest items as well. I can get a better sample of what to get that way!
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The chipset (Z75/Z77) is capable of on-board video if your CPU supports it (which the Ivy bridge i5 does). Worst case scenario, your video card dies and you have to RMA it. Guess what? Hook your monitor up to the HDMI port and you can continue using the computer with the onboard iGPU until you get your video card replaced.

The "Z" series chipsets combine the features of the "P" (OC capabilities, smartresponse/rapid storage, etc.) with the "H" (onboard video) into one feature set. Here's a quick run-down of the features:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

For Sandy Bridge, the most prelevant motherboard was Z68. For Ivy Bridge, it is Z75/Z77.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Thanks... The last time I had to do any research on chipsets was WAAAAAY back when...

So it looks like a Z75/77 would be the ticket. Then i5-3570K for the chip....

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to neonhomer
DAMN! Well.. I guess I am building a new system sooner than I wanted. My Dell desktop, the one I just put the new video card in, just died. Shut it down, and when I went to boot it back up.. The fan slowly ramps up to take off speed!

I guess I'm going to CompUSA after work tomorrow and buying parts to build a new system. Damn....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Did you open the case and clean it out completely with a can of compressed air?

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
said by Krisnatharok:

Did you open the case and clean it out completely with a can of compressed air?

Yeah. I had the case open because I was cleaning the fan and heatsink for the processor. It has those funky plastic clips to hold the heatsink down, and I might have pulled where I should have pushed.

I think I am going to pull the board out and take a look at it and see if there are any obvious ripped traces or bad joints.
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
Well, new system is together. Ended up with:

MSI Z77A motherboard... (I believe it is the Z77A-G45.. Hafta look at the box again.

Intel i7-2600K CPU - They had it marked at $229.99, when it was supposed to be $289.99.

8GB DDR3 Ram (Kingston)

Thermaltake 750W modular power supply (bronze)

CoolerMaster HAF 912 case

I should have known my existing WinXP install wouldn't boot. Never does when put on a new mobo. Now I have to unearth my Ubuntu CD so I can boot it so I can move stuff off the boot drive to reinstall Windows.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Its likely due to Ahci.

YOu could try going into the Bios and set sata to IDE mode.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
Yeah.. I tried going to IDE mode, but it still blue-screened. I had the same issue when I moved my XP install from a older Athlon based system to the Intel P4... BSoD....

Oh well, I needed a good excuse to go to Win7. It's already come in handy, since I have been working with a bunch of new Dell's that have Win7 on them. (shrug)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
You shouldn't be trying to use an XP install from an old machine on a freshly build system. It's time for a wipe and reinstall. Take the opportunity to ensure the SATA controller is set to AHCI.
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Already done...

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..

1 recommendation

reply to neonhomer
Click for full size
Thought I would post a pic of the new system....