share rss forum feed

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Recent Email Issues

In about the last week, suddenly I'm having issues with email. Sometimes it works as it always did---fine. Sometimes, it takes forever to get emails---long delays while it's working. Sometimes it times out altogether. Then a bit later, it comes down no problem. This is both with my email program and with my email checker program, so it's not my software. And it affects not just my main account, but subaccounts as well.

Additionally, every weekend for the last two or three, I'm suddenly inundated with spam, across all subaccounts (same spam), and others have mentioned the same thing. I don't know if the two are related, and after the weekends, the spam eases up.

I'm in the Westchester County, NY area (right outside NYC). Anyone else seeing this recent behavior?
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

While I have not noticed the issues with the delay in receiving emails since I haven't had any that I was expecting, I have noticed the increase in SPAM and it is really getting annoying. I just wish Verizon would spend some money and put in a real anti-spam solution or outsource the whole thing to a company that knows what they are doing. (Before people defend them, Verizon is a company that responded to an RFP at my work to outsource our email, there solution was Groupwise, this was a year ago so think twice before you defend any company that far behind the times)

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Interestingly, I get relatively little spam in my VZ accounts except on recent weekends, when there is a constant glut! And the same spam emails are in every single subaccount, including some that are not used anywhere, so it really does look as if someone is just randomly sending to every VZ account out there. Especially since some of the emails are (from the subject---I never open them or even download them into my regular email program) targeted to Verizon users.

The delay in getting emails really started just a few days ago, and is very bad today, leading to my post. Odd. BTW, emails to my non-Verizon accounts are all coming in quickly and efficiently.
--

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to altermatt

Sorry if this is off topic but....

Why does anyone still use an ISP email account? If nothing else, it makes a decision to switch providers more difficult. There are plenty of free account providers out there, most of whom have robust spam filtering and other features. And if you're really serious, get you own domain from GoDaddy or one of the many other domain registrars.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

When we first signed up for Fios, it was *required* to have a main email account. Also, the main account is the one that we receive notices from Verizon (and spam).

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

said by somebodeez:

When we first signed up for Fios, it was *required* to have a main email account. Also, the main account is the one that we receive notices from Verizon (and spam).

You can 1) Forward all mail from that main account to another account or 2) Go into your profile and change the address where your notices go to. I have mine going to my gmail account and backup going to iCloud.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to somebodeez

Yeah, I was "required" to set one up, too. But I don't use it for anything and I modified my email address in my account profile so everything from Verizon goes to my Yahoo account.

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt

For the most part I rarely get spam on my Verizon email. However I've had more than a few come in within the past 3 or 4 days.
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to altermatt

I found the E-mail server to be really slow as well.

As for using Verizon versus a web-based service - I like to download messages on my own computer using Thunderbird. Still not a huge fan of web-based E-mail. I use it in a pinch (when I'm not home) but would rather download it and read it off-line. I can also back it up and keep it as long as I'd like. (I have E-mails going back to 1996)

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to altermatt

Never had a spam problem with Verizon until the past week or so. Suddenly it's become an annoying, daily occurrence. I don't know why their filters don't pick it up.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to altermatt

I've also been experiencing long delays in logging onto the V* mail servers for about the past 3 - 4 days. Sometimes it takes up to 5-minutes to complete. It seems to be much worse during "waking" hours where at 2 AM, it's almost instantaneous.

Just a few minutes ago, it took about 45 seconds for my email client (Eudora) to log on. My spousal unit uses T'bird and the situation is the same for her.

The SPAM issue seems to come in spurts. Months go by where I have only one or two that sneak through. Then, over a period of a few days, I'll get a couple dozen after which it slacks off again. Since this past Sat, I think I've gotten 9 -10 but none today, yet. I think the SPAMmers figure new ways to get around existing filters, from time to time, and now is one of them.

So far as using one of the free, webmail services (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo...), I participate in a couple forums that will not allow you to use them because of their past association with hacker attacks.

I've been a V* Internet customer for about 8 years (FiOS since 2007) and, by and large, I've had very few problems with their email service.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

unhappycampe

@verizon.net
reply to altermatt

recently i started to get spam on a daily basis going to my verizon email account

the thing is i never use this account and i have never given it to anyone

worse on a daily basis i am now having problems accessing the account, appears that their servers are having problems.

and i'm having problems also accessing their website

could they have been hacked and my and other email accounts stolen.

i mean i never ever got a single piece of spam from that account and not a single email other than the bill.

so how did people figure out my email account, or did verizon get rid of its spam blocker or make some change to it

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

It's hit or miss with the spam stuff. I have a few sub-accounts and two of them are not used very much and only for limited, very specific, private access. One of the two gets spammed a lot the other gets none. Neither has V's spam monitor turned on.

I have two active personal accounts, one I use for personal email and the other is a contact point for forum activity. My personal account gets spam nailed, from time to time. The one associated with forums does not.

My wife's personal sub-account gets no (random) spam and she uses it for everything under the Sun.

The spammers use bots to run down through a dictionary of common account names and once the bot doesn't get a bounced email message, it latches on to that and tries to work it over.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to altermatt

I've had a Verizon mail account for several years with virtually no spam at all until about two weeks ago. Then I got about two or three spam messages in about a week. I'm really not too concerned. I use Thunderbird.

My Gmail and Microsoft accounts get a lot more spam, but almost all of it is directed to a spam folder.

When I work with my Verizon email on my iPod Touch I've noticed that my inbox messages arrive quickly, but sending messages may sometimes take up to five minutes before they are actually sent.

Mystiky4

join:2006-03-15
New York, NY
reply to altermatt

Over the last 3 weeekends, I have also experienced a lot of SPAM in all 3 of my Verizon accounts. Again, this only happens on the weekends.

This has NOT ben the case for the last 2-3 years.

Verizon, is someone listening?

BMT22033

join:2002-07-03
Fairfax, VA
reply to altermatt

I, too, have been experiencing ridiculously slow speeds from incoming.verizon.net over the past couple of weeks. I'm on 75/35 and it just took ~ 3 minutes to download 4 messages (none of which had attachments). My downstream is great from just about everywhere else but getting my mail from the POP server has become very painful.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt

Today, the system has been showing a "system temporarily unavailable error" in my email client (naturally, nothing on the website---there never is!). Haven't been able to get mail for about a half hour.
--

irbrenda

join:2000-11-17
Staten Island, NY

Email issues here too in Staten Island. Keeps asking for network name and password over and over for all my accounts.