All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Scorpio7
join:2011-06-28

Scorpio7

Freephoneline.ca - Why is it so good?

Why is this service getting such a good rating? I've been to their website and went on their fourm... it's full of people having problems and they aren't getting any support or responses.

I'm looking into switching my phone provider, and FPL seems like a good choice considering the high rating it's been getting here, but what about when you have problems and there is no support to help you?? People are not receiving responses for weeks and months at a time!?? that's crazy.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster

Premium Member

Voip.ms. FPL is great cost saving I am sure, but I pay less than $8/month for full featured phone service. I have paid less than $4 in actual calling in the last 3 months. The bulk of my monthly bill is the cost for the unlimited plan + e911 + DID..
Scorpio7
join:2011-06-28

Scorpio7

frankly I don't care how cheap a service is, if it doesn't even work.. or if it has problems and I can't get any help from the service provider for weeks at a time. that's just ridiculous.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Scorpio7:

frankly I don't care how cheap a service is, if it doesn't even work....

Glad that you see it that way.

I have always said that CHEAP is a 4-letter word.

Too many folks shop for price alone, and IMNSHO they almost DESERVE to get burned.

Then mayhaps they will learn from it.

BTW, if you really mean what you said, then you would enjoy CallCentric.

Excellent support, both from their website docs, and from their staff.

And prices pretty good, considering all of that.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to Scorpio7

Anon

to Scorpio7
There is a VoIP forum on DSLr if you have specific technical questions for it: »VOIP Tech Chat or use their own forum: »forum.fongo.com/

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

HOW could I have fergotted to mention the VTC forum ?!

(I usually do)

VERY good forum !

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Scorpio7

Premium Member

to Scorpio7
I've been using FPL for a bit more than two years. There were a few outages (3 or 4) during the night that barely lasted a couple of hours about a year and a half ago, and which FPL fixed very quickly, replacing/adding some equipment.

The one time I had a question, I was answered right away on the phone about 2 years ago, and I never actually needed to call them at all, everything just always worked. No idea how support is now, I do know that they got a huge surge in customers after Dell Voice got released... but other than that. 1.5 years without a single outage or a single problem.

It's BYOD, so I have a feeling that most problems are on the user-side because they either do not know how to set up their ATA, use QOS or have a good enough Internet connection (I've seen plenty of people complaining about VOIP when they were using Satellite/wireless Internet, for example.). The only time I noticed them making mistakes was when they forgot to add certain area codes to their free calling list, and it was fixed very promptly. Quality has been (and still is) better than my old land line. Long distance calls are cheap and very good quality (at least where we call: US, Russia, England, Greece.)

I pay nothing monthly, and spent maybe $15 max on long distance in 2 years. Considering the quality and no outages for 1.5 years (at least none I've noticed,) plus all the basic phone services included, it's simply that good, if you ask me.

Voip.MS or Callcentric have better support and a lot more features... if you need that, go with those. But if you know how to set up your Router/ATA/phone, don't need any advanced VOIP features and just need a phone to make calls, PFL is one of the best, if you ask me.

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

Mr_Derp to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
It's a great option if you're not a dullard, aren't using a non-standard configuration and don't have an ISP that messes with voip traffic.

If you're the type of customer that needs hand holding over the phone for every little issue you may have, then it's likely not a good option(while they offer phone support, I can't vouch for its quality).

Run a PAP2t on a decent DSL/cable connection and you're good to go as everything is well documented.

They're great about fixing/notifying about system wide issues, but if you're that one guy running an unsupported 3rd party SIP app on a mobile network that's unfriendly to that kind of traffic you have to research the solution on your own.

I've been using them for awhile (1 paid SIP ACCT, and another separate free number that forwards to it) now and don't regret it, I would have spent far more paying for a pots line with bell than $50 +tax.

Although if I was gonna get a separate voip account I'd go with voip.ms
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
Freephoneline.ca is great if it meets your needs. I use it as a number I can give out and have forwarded to my cell phone without having to worry about my cell number getting on calling lists. It has voicemail and will email you any messages you get. Free calls to major cities in Canada.

I'm not sure what service issues people could have with it, but I imagine if people were to use it as their only phone line and have purchased the ATA or have their own that needs configuration they may need assistance, but for a free phone number with call display, voice mail and call forwarding you really can't go wrong.

There are some customers who are better served by paying more for the support they require for products they purchase. Hopefully those customer know who they are.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
I've had freephoneline for some time and really have had no issues with it...
mindabsence
join:2010-04-05
Kitchener, ON

mindabsence to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
Been with them for about 3 years and been quite happy. Far better quality than the Bell landline we still have at home. I doubt many customers will pop into their forums just to say things are working well, so I wouldn't be surprised if on the support forums you tend to see people only with problems who are seeking help.

I brought my own device. But I'm also tech-savvy enough to get it working so I can't vouch for support.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Scorpio7

Premium Member

to Scorpio7
I ported my line over to FPL about a year and a half ago...

I've had a second line through VoIP.ms for a couple of years, and would have preferred to use them; but they didn't handle my exchange at the time.

FPL's been very good to deal with, IMO - service is fine; MWI light is a little buggy, but that's not uncommon with many VoIP providers, and to be honest, I haven't spent much time troubleshooting it... Besides that, I have no idea how their tech support is; because I've never had to use it!

Price is right - I was $100 up front for the port and ATA config file (mandatory to buy the config from them, to use your own ATA) - and I think I've spent a total of about $6 in LD charges since I setup the account.

Quality is as good as any other VoIP provider I've used; and basically, it just works - which is everything I need in a phone line. I've faxed over it with no issues or config changes, as well...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
said by Scorpio7:

Why is this service getting such a good rating? I've been to their website and went on their fourm... it's full of people having problems and they aren't getting any support or responses.

I have been using FPL for about two years and the worst problems I have had with the service were caused by their java-based softphone. I upgraded to generic SIP login earlier this year so I could use X-Lite and that seems to have solved all my problems.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
After some thought, I've decided to move my number away from voip.ms for incoming calls and moving it to FPL. I use an ASTERISK BOX for my home system, so it may be more than most people have, but makes what I'm doing possible and very easy. I have done this for some time with a 2nd line I have with FPL.

VOIP.ms has been great, but I have had issues with incoming calls

I currently pay 4.95(number) + 1.50(E911) per month plus tax and exchange rate with voip.ms. By doing this, It brings my bill to 0.00 per month. Any calls outgoing outside the FREE AREAS of FPL, I will still use Voip.ms, as most are billed at less than 1/2 cent a min.

FPL cost me $75 for one time to do this.. ($25 for the port, and $50 for the SIP ACCESS) So it pays for itself in just under a year.

I hardly use my home phone anymore, accept to call a few people, so this basically brings it to a level that works for me based on my usage and ability.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits

the cerberus

my main problem with freephoneline/fibrenetics is that they compress the calls too much. that and they didnt hire me after 5 interviews. lol.

i am an audiophile and understand human voice doesnt need much quality, but sometimes its to the point where the call is entirely inaudible.

i mean even rogers and bell have compressed the hell out of calls over time, but never have i seen it to the point where it is not usable.

also note, i've only used the free voip number to call forward a landline for testing purposes (ie saving money on long distance by having a number in the same area code).

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

Wouldn't you get the pick the CODEC on your ATA? ITU-T G.711 is pretty much the same as POTS "quality" with same sample rate and bit rate.

Since the ATA in VoIP removed the few hundred/thousand feet of rotting copper wire outside (with complex impedance, phase shift/delay/distortion/noise pickup), sound quality on an ATA using G.711 should be much better than POTS.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If the provider or any link between only supports G.729 it doesn't matter what you tell your ATA to use, you're still stuck with G.729.

G.729 really isn't that bad on a decent-quality net connection, though - as in, still a lot better than a cell phone. It can become horrendous if the connection is marginal and there's a lot of jitter, even though it uses less bandwidth.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

I google a bit. I can't find the official statement, but a lot of references that say Freephoneline.ca supports G.711.

»ubuntuforums.org/showthr ··· =1854699
>Herewith the config setting from freephoneline:

SIP Username: my_phone_number
SIP Password: my_password
Inbound/Outbound Proxy: voip.freephoneline.ca
Registration Expires: 180 to 3600
Use Preferred Codec: G711U or G729a

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

It does support G711, FPL support mentioned it on the FPL forums a couple of times. and it made a big difference when I switched to it from the default (I think it was 729).

And setting up proper QOS made an even bigger difference when making calls and using Internet.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
I picked up a line from freephonline about 3 months ago to do some testing of an asterisk system, didnt want to pay for a SIP line as it was only testing. Through the asterisk worked fine, when i was done my testing i kept the line and got my own ATA. i have been using it as a second line at home, handy since the inlaws are long distance on the pots line. Its FAR from perfect, but you get what you pay for.
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

I've had FPL for a year or more and I can't understand why people pay for voip.ms when FPL does all the same stuff for free. Why would I pay to make a local call with voip.ms, when calling most area codes in Canada is free on FPL? What features does voip.ms have that make it worth such a higher cost?

FPL has call display, voice mail, call forwarding all for free. I've had one short outage in the past year with FPL, while Rogers telephone service would generally have a major outage every 4 months.

For long distance I use LocalPhone.com, which, last time I checked, is way cheaper than voip.ms, skype or anything else for the countries I call.

My experience with FPL is that it's very simple as long as you can follow one page of instructions for set-up. And it just works, with no surprises and no bill. I have it set up with my cordless phone and I use it as my primary home phone. Also why would I pay a 911 fee or taxes when FPL is available without this. Can keep a mobile phone switched off with no subscription plan in case of emergency. I pay for emergency services through my taxes already.

FPL customer support has been fine in my experience. I only called them to port a number and it was a short/concise conversation. email received --> form sent --> number ported within 10 days.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by nauru0:

I've had FPL for a year or more and I can't understand why people pay for voip.ms when FPL does all the same stuff for free. Why would I pay to make a local call with voip.ms, when calling most area codes in Canada is free? What features does voip.ms have that make it worth such a higher cost?

For some people, the $50 that they'd lay out for the FPL ATA passport would take a long time to recover based on their voip.ms usage.

That, and voip.ms actually has a decent level of support available if something breaks.
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

I'm not sure where the claim of lack of support from FPL comes from. They are open 24/7, and in my experience they've done a good job.

$50 would get eaten up pretty fast if you are using voip.ms as your primary phone line, since voip.ms actually charges you for all inbound calls, as well as all outgoing ones.

If you are using a mobile phone as primary and voip.ms is secondary then you are already paying a substantial amount per month for phone service to robellus (or another company) and this is kind of a silly conversation to debate how much extra, on top of the 50/100/150 per month in fees/charges/taxes/plan costs one will pay for a secondary phone line.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You may want to educate yourself on voip.ms' offerings before you make incorrect statements about the costs as there are unlimited incoming options available. Furthermore, anything that's "free" is not going to have the same effort of support as something that customers pay for will. That is just a fact of life. If a FPL connection goes down and you're getting it for free, what obligation does the provider have to you to get it fixed when you can't exactly vote with your wallet?

For the record, I run a business off of voip.ms with a local and toll-free DID and multiple simultaneous choice channels and a separate dedicated fax DID and channel. On Premium routing, the entire month of july cost us $15 - that's total costs for the minutes and the DIDs. You're not going to use more than that at home. Other than the internal wiring issues I have here at the store that have been driving me batshit insane I have had zero issues with the actual SIP accounts or the routing itself.

nonBell
@avaya.com

nonBell to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by nauru0:

I've had FPL for a year or more and I can't understand why people pay for voip.ms when FPL does all the same stuff for free. Why would I pay to make a local call with voip.ms, when calling most area codes in Canada is free? What features does voip.ms have that make it worth such a higher cost?

For some people, the $50 that they'd lay out for the FPL ATA passport would take a long time to recover based on their voip.ms usage.

That, and voip.ms actually has a decent level of support available if something breaks.

+1

One of the reasons for me is to have a Toll-free number which FPL cannot provide.

And I use Asterisk+GTalk to dial anywhere in Canada and US so no outgoing charges for me.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by nonBell :

And I use Asterisk+GTalk to dial anywhere in Canada and US so no outgoing charges for me.

That's my ultimate plan but right now I've just got a couple ATAs and multi-line phones.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to nonBell

to nonBell
I would use GTALK but the call display name/number is an out of area number, and unless the people know you, in my experience, most won't pick up.

VoIP.MS lets me send whatever I want for call display, which is nice so I can use this for any line I have and it always shows the right call display

I use Gtalk as a american incoming/outgoing line for people I know down there... but won't use it for everyday calls.
fmdream
join:2011-03-21
Toronto, ON

fmdream to Scorpio7

to Scorpio7
I have 2 FPL since May-2009 with NO Issues (One of FPL # is in INDIA). Everyday I can talk to my Parents everyday with NO Issue as PORTS are open and they just need 80KB upload. LINKSYS SPA 2102 or 3102 is a best option as UNLOCKED Box can be purchased from Canada Computers.