Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Duh. Wonder what took them so long to figure it out?

Mon dieu! I didn't know this..........LOL.....

Concentration Of Media Ownership In Canada Worst In G8 For TV Industry, Study Says
»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08/13···117.html

"....81.4 per cent of the value of Canada’s TV distribution (cable and satellite) market is controlled by companies that also create content, such as broadcasters and production companies."

That is by leaps and bounds the highest percentage in the G8. The second-place country, Japan, has only 37.5 per cent of its TV distribution controlled by content creators. In the U.S., it’s 23.1 per cent."

Hello, Competition Bureau.
Anyone there?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by MaynardKrebs:

Hello, Competition Bureau.
Anyone there?

Sorry, they're unavailable.. Went "golfing"

Vomio

join:2008-04-01
reply to MaynardKrebs

Surely not surprised though.....

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power - Benito Mussolini

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

"....81.4 per cent of the value of Canada's TV distribution (cable and satellite) market is controlled by companies that also create content, such as broadcasters and production companies...."

Actually, THAT view is the flip side of the perspective which WE had been presenting here so far.

WE had been saying how many of the distrib companies were owning/controlling how much of production companies, and Huff-Pest is looking at how much that the REVERSE control would seem to be true.

From EITHER angle, it scares the bejesus out of me ! - No, wait, THAT was long gone anyway. - But you get the point....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me these day as I cut the cable TV cord a long time ago. Hates sports shows and don't care about local new anyways.

Even when I was watching TV, mostly American TV shows on American TV network. The companies(TM) would hijack the delivery side by Canadian "simulcast" because of CRTC's moronic rules.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

said by Ott_Cable :

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me these day as I cut the cable TV cord a long time ago.

Considering that the off-air Canadian content you're watching is all owned by the same BDU for whom you cut the cord, you should still be concerned - maybe even more so!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to MaynardKrebs

I'd like to point out that the statistic alone does not indicate a problem. It could be that 100% of the distribution market was controlled by companies that create content, and it still would not alone indicate a problem. It's just a statistic that by itself tells you nothing about what the companies are actually DOING, or about any regulation that might alter behaviour.

Saying that Canada is "worst in G8" without any information on why it's bad is pointless. I could just as easily play the devil's advocate and trumpet the headline "Concentration of media ownership in Canada best in G8 for TV industry" because nobody has given any evidence why a certain percentage is good or bad.

Do I think it's a bad thing? Yes, but can't be good or bad because of what could potentially happen, but what actually does happen.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

Seems inflamatory to me

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gone

>onsidering that the off-air Canadian content you're watching is all owned by the same BDU for whom you cut the cord

Read what I posted very carefully. I watched US TV shows. There are NO Canadian contents in that. I repeat: I do not watch sport shows nor local news.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I did read what you wrote, and claiming that you only watch American channels is ultimately irrelevant. Canadian off-air television is all owned by the same companies that distribute them and who provide Internet access.

You can cut the cord all the want. It doesn't matter. You live in Canada and the off-air system in the country where you live is still fucked up. Cord cutters who think they're sending a message against the BDUs don't realize this.

It's even more upsetting because those same people are probably also streaming content through an Internet connection that is owned by the same BDU that owns the off-air station. This why market consolidation and vertical integration is a terrible terrible thing.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

Did I say I how I am getting my TV signals from off-the-air broadcast or satellite or anything? :P

My old analog TV has been gathering dust for a few years and it would at some point I might get some useful parts off it before taking it for disposal. I have no more use for a TV set any more.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gone

>Even when I was watching TV
>I watched US TV shows.

Note: They are all past tense. There are a lot of things to do outside of watching TV and I have lived quite a few years of my life without TV.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

So you don't watch *any* TV at all? Not even television shows you download off the Internet? You don't watch news clips on a website or anything like that? You view zero professionally-produced video at all at any point in your life from the day you cut the cord?

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

News for the last few days: I watched NASA's landing on NASA site, BBC/Ecuador press release on Assange. Read the forum about those. All of them are where the news happened. There was no point of watching a talking head reading stale news elsewhere in the world with their small "Canadian view" that are a few hours old off a teleprompter squeezed in the allotted 1 minutes segment while wasting time "chatting" with "Bob the weatherman" to fill the rest of the dead time.

Professional video I watched included: a Professional stop motion produced promo of a Hong Kong toy company remaking of latest "Batman" movie, some music video about batman, a few TF2 and other games promos. None of them have anything thing to do with Canadian contents what so ever and these are "professionally" produced that you can't do in your basement.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

... and you used your Teksavvy Internet connection which runs over BCE-owned copper wires to view all of that content, right?

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

>BCE-owned copper wires

My anon nick isn't Ott-DSL last time I checked. I also use voip.ms. I only said I cut the cable TV cord.

I have no choice on my last mile and neither do you nor most Canadians, but I do have some level of control on how I/we spent the rest of my money or my time. I do not visit Rogers video, buy from Radio Shack, nor use a cellphone nor read any of the Canadian newspapers. I made a conscious decision of boycotting them and I urge other to do the same. There is something seriously wrong if I have to spend more money on Canadian telecom fees each month than food like most Canadians.

We are talking about BDU/Media concentration/Vertical-integration and I don't want to drift off topic like you do. Canadian TV, BDU and Canadian contents/distribution are what we should be talking about.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Rogers, BCE, it doesn't make one lucky of difference. The point is that they get their pound of flesh out of you no matter what, and in turn push horrendous policies such as UBB on the population in an effort to protect their other sources of revenue. This is a major problem, and if you think being a cord cutter in Canada means anything you're just lying to yourself.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to Ott_Cable

said by Ott_Cable :

I do not visit Rogers video, buy from Radio Shack, nor use a cellphone nor read any of the Canadian newspapers.

Rogers video is no more, so you can't visit them:
»business.financialpost.com/2012/···usiness/

Radio Shack hasn't existed in Canada since 2007 when the last 9 of the company owned stores were closed:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack···n_Canada

Just sayin'...
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gone

So far I told you a lot of what I have been trying to do, what about you?

Do you use a totally different connection to the internet or you are just like the rest of us? Do you just like to troll on people that do not agree with you or do you really have a better way?

So how would you improve on the current situation? Do you just sit back and whine like everyone else?

May the person that doesn't use any of the incumbents please speak up.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to HeadSpinning

2 down, and just waiting for more to go away. Still doesn't change what I do.

Regardless of how others think, I have reduced my telecom bill to the bare minimum. It might not make a difference for you, but it does for me. If more were to follow, perhaps that would make a tiny dent.

Are you just to going to lie and and not do anything an yet complain about those of us that do? Please enlighten me.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Ott_Cable

I didn't come in here calling myself a self-righteous cord cutter as if it made any difference. You opened yourself up to getting called out, and now you're crying when someone tells you that no matter what you do or what you say, media consolidation in this country prevents you from doing anything you are claiming to do.

No. I'm not a troll. I'm just smart enough to know the reality of what's going on in this country.

Expand your moderator at work

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Ott_Cable

Re: Duh. Wonder what took them so long to figure it out?

said by Ott_Cable :

2 down, and just waiting for more to go away. Still doesn't change what I do.

Regardless of how others think, I have reduced my telecom bill to the bare minimum. It might not make a difference for you, but it does for me. If more were to follow, perhaps that would make a tiny dent.

Are you just to going to lie and and not do anything an yet complain about those of us that do? Please enlighten me.

Why are you accusing me of lying?

I'm doing plenty for the "rest of us". My company is selling Home Phone & Unlimited Internet for $59.95/month. Although in most cases, we have to use Bell's last mile copper, that service doesn't use anything else from Bell. The DSLAM/BLC is ours, and in the Windsor area, the entire aggregation network is on our own fibre - not rented from anyone else.

Last week we lit up the last leg of the first phase of our fibre aggregation network. It now stretches from LaSalle through Windsor and in to Tecumseh - all Gigabit speeds. It took us 4 years to complete the project, during which time we had to lease Bell capacity as a temporary measure.

Are you just going to whine and complain that nobody is doing anything to give consumers an alternative, but ignore those of us who do? Please enlighten me.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

said by HeadSpinning:

Last week we lit up the last leg of the first phase of our fibre aggregation network. It now stretches from LaSalle through Windsor and in to Tecumseh - all Gigabit speeds. It took us 4 years to complete the project, during which time we had to lease Bell capacity as a temporary measure.

Why would you need fibre aggregation to Montreal if you only have your own DSLAMs in the Windsor area?
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaSalle,_Ontario
--

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

I'm doing plenty for the "rest of us".

It is great to see unlimited Internet for a reasonable price. Where I am, unlimited internet is not available from Shaw or Telus. And if it is, I am sure it will be a lot more than $44.95 per month.

I am glad to see companies such as yours, that offer a realistic alternative to the cartel system. Now if you can have your own last mile

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to HeadSpinning

Any chance you'll run fibre to the more populous LaSalle? :P
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Roofer

said by Roofer:

Now if you can have your own last mile

Sadly, the backbone network we've built was a lengthly, costly task. Building a distribution is a whole other story.

Take rate economics play an important part in building last mile infrastructure. Like water, natural gas and electricity, last mile telecom infrastructure is a natural monopoly.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_monopoly
--

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

said by HeadSpinning:

last mile telecom infrastructure is a natural monopoly.

How do you pay for the last mile? Is it a fixed fee, or volume of data? Also, if 2 companies share that same last mile into a house (you for internet, Bell for television), how is contention handled?

Just curious.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by Roofer:

How do you pay for the last mile? Is it a fixed fee, or volume of data? Also, if 2 companies share that same last mile into a house (you for internet, Bell for television), how is contention handled?

Just curious.

The biggest cost in the last mile is the construction and support structures, not the facilities themselves. The difference in price between a 4 fibre drop cable and a 1 fibre drop cable is small.

If each residence were connected to an aggregation point such as a PON splitter cabinet that was shared, each provider would connect there. This would allow a customer to in theory have up to a fixed number of providers in their residence. I'm just thinking off the cuff - many details would have to be worked out.

I would envision a fixed price per connection based on blend of the infrastructure cost, financing costs and operating costs, regardless of the speed of service supplied on the facility.
--