uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Ott_Cable

Re: Duh. Wonder what took them so long to figure it out?

I didn't come in here calling myself a self-righteous cord cutter as if it made any difference. You opened yourself up to getting called out, and now you're crying when someone tells you that no matter what you do or what you say, media consolidation in this country prevents you from doing anything you are claiming to do.

No. I'm not a troll. I'm just smart enough to know the reality of what's going on in this country.

Expand your moderator at work

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to Ott_Cable

Re: Duh. Wonder what took them so long to figure it out?

said by Ott_Cable :

2 down, and just waiting for more to go away. Still doesn't change what I do.

Regardless of how others think, I have reduced my telecom bill to the bare minimum. It might not make a difference for you, but it does for me. If more were to follow, perhaps that would make a tiny dent.

Are you just to going to lie and and not do anything an yet complain about those of us that do? Please enlighten me.

Why are you accusing me of lying?

I'm doing plenty for the "rest of us". My company is selling Home Phone & Unlimited Internet for $59.95/month. Although in most cases, we have to use Bell's last mile copper, that service doesn't use anything else from Bell. The DSLAM/BLC is ours, and in the Windsor area, the entire aggregation network is on our own fibre - not rented from anyone else.

Last week we lit up the last leg of the first phase of our fibre aggregation network. It now stretches from LaSalle through Windsor and in to Tecumseh - all Gigabit speeds. It took us 4 years to complete the project, during which time we had to lease Bell capacity as a temporary measure.

Are you just going to whine and complain that nobody is doing anything to give consumers an alternative, but ignore those of us who do? Please enlighten me.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

said by HeadSpinning:

Last week we lit up the last leg of the first phase of our fibre aggregation network. It now stretches from LaSalle through Windsor and in to Tecumseh - all Gigabit speeds. It took us 4 years to complete the project, during which time we had to lease Bell capacity as a temporary measure.

Why would you need fibre aggregation to Montreal if you only have your own DSLAMs in the Windsor area?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaSalle,_Ontario
--

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to HeadSpinning

said by HeadSpinning:

I'm doing plenty for the "rest of us".

It is great to see unlimited Internet for a reasonable price. Where I am, unlimited internet is not available from Shaw or Telus. And if it is, I am sure it will be a lot more than $44.95 per month.

I am glad to see companies such as yours, that offer a realistic alternative to the cartel system. Now if you can have your own last mile

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to HeadSpinning

Any chance you'll run fibre to the more populous LaSalle? :P
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Roofer

said by Roofer:

Now if you can have your own last mile

Sadly, the backbone network we've built was a lengthly, costly task. Building a distribution is a whole other story.

Take rate economics play an important part in building last mile infrastructure. Like water, natural gas and electricity, last mile telecom infrastructure is a natural monopoly.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_monopoly
--

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

said by HeadSpinning:

last mile telecom infrastructure is a natural monopoly.

How do you pay for the last mile? Is it a fixed fee, or volume of data? Also, if 2 companies share that same last mile into a house (you for internet, Bell for television), how is contention handled?

Just curious.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

said by Roofer:

How do you pay for the last mile? Is it a fixed fee, or volume of data? Also, if 2 companies share that same last mile into a house (you for internet, Bell for television), how is contention handled?

Just curious.

The biggest cost in the last mile is the construction and support structures, not the facilities themselves. The difference in price between a 4 fibre drop cable and a 1 fibre drop cable is small.

If each residence were connected to an aggregation point such as a PON splitter cabinet that was shared, each provider would connect there. This would allow a customer to in theory have up to a fixed number of providers in their residence. I'm just thinking off the cuff - many details would have to be worked out.

I would envision a fixed price per connection based on blend of the infrastructure cost, financing costs and operating costs, regardless of the speed of service supplied on the facility.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

That was the original model for Google Fibre, since abandoned. They were going to provide the last mile (and possibly the aggregation network) and leave the actual internet providing to other ISPs. In theory this would have helped them get better penetration to justify builds, because it's likely that the multiple ISPs would have gotten a higher combined marketshare than just Google alone.

At some point, I guess they decided they could get high enough penetration on their own, or that they wanted to provide a more end-to-end solution. You can still build services on top of Google Fibre, at least. It's the perfect platform for an independent IPTV provider, although Google's already doing that themselves.
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON

The big issue is that the margin IS in the last mile infrastructure, so sharing isn't something anyone who already has a network is interested in doing.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MaynardKrebs

Most of the margin, sure. But you can price it as you like, with a markup to the service provider. Bell gets guaranteed a 15% markup, but since they massively inflate a lot of the costs, they're making a decent chunk of change.

And before somebody says "Oh, but it's not cheap to do the last mile, Bell's not inflating", yeah, it's not cheap, but the way they tried price 16/7 almost four bucks higher than 25/7 (16/1 and 25/7 are more or less the same tariff price, but they added a $3.75 fee for 16/1 -> 16/7) just shows you how they inflate any chance they get.
--

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by Guspaz:

....just shows you how they inflate any chance they get.

Yep, that's our BH#$ELL !

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Guspaz

The thing is, few people want to be in business for a 15% markup. Not saying that's good for consumers, bit it is reality.

This is the difference between cost based pricing and value based pricing.
--

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by HeadSpinning:

The thing is, few people want to be in business for a 15% markup. Not saying that's good for consumers, but it is reality....

If I had a 'Bell-sized' of share of that pie, I would be jumping for FN joy at a 15% raw profit stream !

Greed is what it is....

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Vomio

Hrm....

And just look at the rest of that list.....

Mike