StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

said by Mele20:

...if the search goes through Google Sharing servers and which one it goes through (the servers are world wide)...

I only know of and use one GoogleSharing proxy (proxy.googlesharing.net) and that seems to be located in Houston, TX.

The GoogleSharing proxy randomizes the BrowserID (User Agent) between requests.

Unfortunately the GoogleSharing website (»www.googlesharing.net) seems to be redirected/changed so I can't provide quotes/links.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Hmm....I wonder why we can't reach googlesharing.net. I tried all different ways including through Mozilla Addons site on Googlesharing page and through the author's website, etc. Even my link on Fx Addons list redirects to Abine's main page which has changed in the last few days. Googlesharing extension updated last night.

When the Houston one is over used then the user is redirected to other googlesharing proxies. I get them from all over the world. I also get some weirdity on Fx 4 that directly reflects which server is contacted. That doesn't happen on Fx 10. Maybe because I am in Hawaii the Houston one is not always contacted?

Of course, eventually, none of Abine's offerings will be free including googlesharing. They have good privacy stuff so I probably will buy some package of theirs once better developed and usable on all browsers.

So, do you always get a search through Googlesharing unless you get that announcement that it has been turned off because all servers are too busy? I get that announcement frequently depending on the time of day that I search. I also sometimes don't get the announcement, or see Google Sharing disabled in the status bar, but I get regular Google search. It is easy to tell as regular Google search wants me to set a location. Plus, sometimes I get regular Google search (non secure) and Proxo filters yet Google Sharing is turned on.

At the moment. Google Sharing is disabled in my status bar and I didn't disable it. I have been away from the computer for several hours and it was disabled by GoogleSharing while I was away. This happens frequently...don't you see this?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game

Premium Member

»www.websitedown.info/pro ··· ring.net

»www.googlesharing.net/

Doesn't this mean that you could monitor my searches, though?
With the release of Googlesharing 0.20, even the Googlesharing proxy is not capable of monitoring your search queries. The addon pre-fetches the identity information from the Googlesharing proxy, uses that to construct an anonymized request, and then routes an encrypted connection to Google through the Googlesharing proxy. So while the traffic is routed through Googlesharing, it is encrypted to Google and thus not visible to the Googlesharing proxy.
The result is that Google knows what is being searched for, but doesn't know who issued the request. The Googlesharing proxy can tell where requests are coming from, but can't tell anything about the content of the request. The only thing you have to trust is that the operator of the Googlesharing proxy is not actively colluding with Google in order to determine the identities of Googlesharing users.
If you're still worried, remember that the Googlesharing addon and proxy code is publicly available. So it's possible for you to run a Googlesharing proxy yourself, or to find someone who you do trust.

»www.abine.com/googleshar ··· _faq.php
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
No ABINE's website is NOT www.googlesharing.net. Your website down information site got itself fooled because googlesharing.net IS DOWN FOR EVERYONE. Abine is REdirecting all traffic to their website.

You should use »www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com instead. It is not fooled by Abine's redirection. Abine has done this before. The googlesharing.net site has oodles of information besides those FAQs you quoted from on Abine's site. The googlesharing.net site explains how to make your own google proxy which maybe Abine doesn't want folks to know how to do....especially once they start charging for Google sharing proxy? But it is probably just down temporarily for a benign reason. As I have said this has happened a number of times since I got googlesharing extension.

Abine needs to fix their new main page as the download url is behind the Privacy Watch icon using Fx 10 ESR. Other Fx users? Is it ok on later versions of Fx?

EDIT: It is fine on Fx 4. The download URL at Abine is not obscured by the Privacy Watch icon. I have had so many problems with Fx10 ESR and never any similar problems on Fx 4 both running on XP. (And I get criticized for using an old browser because it works right and the newer versions don't)!