BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to ikyuaoki

Premium Member

to ikyuaoki

Re: game server and clients -- about TCP nagle algorithm.

said by ikyuaoki:

nagle can disrupts the outgoing packets to wait up to 200ms delay before sends the bundle of packet packs all at once that causes the laggy on the fast link opposite to the slow link.

nagle doesn't "disrupt" it waits for an ACK from the server before sending the next batch, no ACK then it queues until it gets one upto the max timer(read somewhere it was 500ms).

"Nagle's algorithm works by combining a number of small outgoing messages, and sending them all at once. Specifically, as long as there is a sent packet for which the sender has received no acknowledgment, the sender should keep buffering its output until it has a full packet's worth of output, so that output can be sent all at once."

hence why i said that you increase the rate on the server.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

Yes I have done increased the server's rates but that comes to my mind on the TCP issues, nagle should be disabled for good on the fast WAN link networks rather than "slow link" topology.

especially i'm a gamer in matters. after the disabled nagle, the file transfer over the internet is not much a issues.