how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

freckky

@myacc.net
reply to GeekInfoNow

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for review

A rep. stopped by my house yesterday, promising to beat the 30Mbps I get from my ISP now and for 1/3 the price. Sounds too good to be true, right? All of these posts were very helpful in my realizing why that is. OMG is not for me.

mitchflorida

join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

What concerns me is the reliability factor. I don't have wireline phone service, so I rely on my broadband link for VOIP.

I am pretty certain this would go out during the heavy rain storms that we get here in South Florida.

I can't risk it for the purpose of saving $10 a month.

OriginalDrM

join:2003-05-08
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·EarthLink
reply to GeekInfoNow

I have some questions. I'm in Margate, gotten flyers from OMGFast, and with my ISP currently giving me problems, this is sounding better and better.

For the same price it's 15x faster than my dsl.

I know there was a law put in that prevents home owner associations, local ordinances, etc. from disallowing mini dishes for TV, does that apply to what OMG fast uses? Seems like the same tech. I think the dish has to be less than 39 inches.

I live in a condo (and not on the top floor), would I be allowed to get this service installed?

The other thing is, does OMGFast provide backup access via dialup? I know it's stone age, but it beats a complete blackout.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

Google OTARD

OriginalDrM

join:2003-05-08
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·EarthLink
reply to GeekInfoNow

Spoke with a nice sales rep today (aren't they always?).
Things I learned:

They intend to roll out 40 towers in south Florida from West Palm Beach to Homestead. They will probably move south first because of the high number of condos going north. (More on that later).

He also copped to being a division of Cablevision, but a separate internet provider only. So they may add services later that Cablevision has.

Q & A
Back up dialup - No, just back up WiMax which is very slow, like 5-6 mbps slow. (I love their definition of slow.) With the addition of antennas, service can be redirected to other antennas if one goes down. 24/7 tech support.

Usenets - Nope (I don't think he knew what that was.) Anyone know if Cablevision usually provides it?

Price - $29.95/mo. + $10 proprietary modem and router rental.
No contract. Current special includes a lifetime guarantee on that price!

IPV6 - "What's that?"

Condos - He is sending me paper work to petition the condo association for permission as well as paper work on OTARD.

Basically by law you do not have to ask permission and cannot be prevented from having a mini dish device installed. BUT since they are a new company they aren't looking to make any enemies so they want you to have permission first.

If I can pull this together, I think I'll be giving them a go. I pay the same amount for middling quality DSL @ 3mbps as it is.

Expand your moderator at work

daweeze02

join:2002-02-26
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to OriginalDrM

I have it getting installed tomorrow here in Oakland Park(Fort Lauderdale). I have uverse now but figured I'd see what the hype is about. I did see someone mentioned torrents are blocked, which if that's still true I will just send the installer packing lol.

daweeze02

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Okay so scratch that, the installer came out and said he didn't have a clear line of site. I find it funny that a rep came out walking our entire neighborhood but we can't even get it lol. Oh well I will stick with uverse.

Anonymous2

@199.115.85.x
reply to GeekInfoNow

We signed up for OMGFast this past January. While initially the service was fast, it was even quicker to slow down. Not sure if this was due to the physical environment or what, but twice (and only after being fed up with having slower service than I had with AT&T DSL) I called to see what could be done. Once I left my number for a Tier II tech but got no response (although the service did pick back up after I called), and the second time I was asked to do a power cycle. Okay, so that worked. But short of having to do that every couple of days, no one ever offered to have a tech come out and try to reposition the dish. I called last week to cancel the service, was hung up on abruptly without provocation, and just got off the phone with someone who was willing to refund my service fees if I allowed a tech to come out and reposition the dish. My husband simply wasn't happy with the service and that's why I called to cancel.

When I called last week to follow up with an appointment on when to get this stuff out of my house, I was told we were being credited a month's worth of charges for March, yet March's billing date hadn't even been reached (this is where I was hung up on). I immediately called my bank, put a stop payment on all OMGFast charges that attempted to come in, and called a second time to find out when a technician would be out to pick up the equipment. I was told one had already tried twice to contact me (not true) and that the ticket number (not a confirmation number) would be re-queued so I was at the top of the list again. I have yet to hear from a tech, and that was two days ago.

In the mean time, I just got off the phone with someone who was willing to refund me all the charges I have paid and to have the dish recalibrated/repositioned. I told him that all I wanted was someone to come out and pick up the equipment. Again I was hung up on.

While the service might be great for some (both internet and customer), I advise to reconsider. You have to sign up for auto debit (as it was put to me by my salesman) and there is no way that I found to change that information. To cancel, you have to call in. It's been over a week since I cancelled and I can't seem to get someone to call me back regarding coming to get the equipment.

OMGfast

join:2013-03-21
Pompano Beach, FL

2 edits

Hey all, thanks for the feedback! Anonymous2 we sincerely apologize that you've had these issues! If you'll send us a PM with your phone number we'll have someone call you ASAP.

-OMGFAST! Web Team

BellSouthBS

join:2002-03-07
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Comcast
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit

The service sounds ok, but I have a VOIP service with almost 2 years left on the contract. What is the worst-case JITTER I can expect from both the uplink and downlink?

Is it true that you block torrents, as I use this technology to publish and distribute very large genetic databases for research, as this cuts down on server bandwidth for me???

Also, I just happen to have a couple 50 ghz spectrum analyzers and a 60' tower in the back yard with 35 sq ft windload, with 21 sq ft not presently used. I also have a 1st Class FCC lic hanging in the back room, and have several microwave links at this location. Just for kicks, I manufacture Nitrogen cooled LNAs for deep space use.

Based on the quality of techs/installers mentioned in previous posts, how about a DIY or self-install provision. Since I already have some 10 to 18 Ghz broadband horns, I already observed some traffic on the old CARS band to the Northeast of my West Davie, FL location, but at -92 dbm with a 10 db gain horn. I would like to see a 30 db (rain/scatter) fade margin, or at least a shorter path from an upcoming tower, before considering your service. I also do Proof Of Performance for FCC compliance or documentation purposes.

Now, about that DIY install provision, as I would have no patience for a roofer trying to learn how to adjust azimuth and elevation by using an AGC or QOS reading on a remote laptop.

BellSouthBS

join:2002-03-07
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Comcast
·AT&T Southeast

2 edits
reply to OMGfast

.... Also is there a MINIMUM guaranteed speed, or at least a typical "rush hour" uplink and downlink speed??

On the 1st page of this thread, someone posted a speedtest that showed a 7% packet loss, 65 ms latency, and a 31 millisecond jitter. Is this the best or typical of what the system can do???

Will today's equipment/base stations do better????

no service

@comcast.net
reply to OMGfast

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for service

I would like to have this service installed in my home in Sunrise. When will this service be in this area?

daweeze02

Fort Lauderdale, FL

So I ended up getting omgfast setup here in Oakland Park and so far so good. The tech was very knowledgeable and even ran a pingtest before I had a chance, which I thought was cool. I def didn't think the installer would do that. It came back as a "B" same as uverse. I've had it about a month now and it hasn't gone down once. I do wish upload was around 10megs but I know it's due to a limit of the technology. I've played xbox live non stop for and not one disconnect. If anyone has any questions or wants me to run any test lmk.

luvxu

join:2007-04-03
Northborough, MA
reply to GeekInfoNow

We have OMG Fast for over a month now and here is our review:

OMG Fast is a new wireless ISP provider in Florida. They have very fast download link (40-60Mb/s) and upload link (3Mb/s). There is no contract to sign up and the price is about $40/month. We switched our service from Advance Cable to OMG because of the high speed offer. However, to our surprise our ObiTalk VOIP call has so much jitter and delay to the point of unusable.

We can hear the other person on the call well (we are on the down link) but the other person on the up link cannot hear us well. There would be missing words and the sound is more like from a robot than of a natural person.

We complained about this problem to OMG using our VOIP phone so that they can hear the problem for themselves. They acknowledged the sound quality problem but they wouldn't fix it. Their suggestion to us was to use their VOIP phone instead which cost $15/month. Having no choice we ordered their VOIP phone and then everything is fine. The sound quality became perfect. This really tell us that OMG is not as transparent as they should be. Their network must be programmed to treat their own VOIP service to a higher quality of service than other VOIP traffics. Worse, we think that they could be purposely messing around with other VOIP service so that we cannot use other VOIP service but OMG.

Another thing that we found is that after a month of service they started to block all the ports (80-http, 21-ftp, 22-ssh, 443-https) so that we cannot reach our own server away from home. When we called them they told us that for "security" reason they have to block those ports. Our server is now as good as dead because our friends and family cannot access it anymore.

We want to log our problem here for the benefit of others. If you want to switch to OMG please consider these problems first.

rich

@bellsouth.net

Sounds horrible. I won't be signing up. I will stick with ATT DSL.

robl45

join:2013-04-03
reply to GeekInfoNow

Is it true they block torrents and ports? What is the point of this service?

DaScorpio

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to GeekInfoNow

How do they market a product that's not even available in all areas, and not have a clue as to when it will be. I currently live in the Miami-Dade area where I keep hearing and seeing the commercials for the service and its clearly not in my area "yet" so the claim.

daweeze02

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to robl45

Not blocked for me.

buddy1065

join:2005-01-04
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to GeekInfoNow

Looks like there's risk as some report good service and some don't. But it's good to know OMFGfast is contract free. I just disconnected from ATT DSL recently due to slowing service, then intermitant service and finally there was no service at all. I may just try OMFGfast.

OhMyGod

@199.193.104.x

I have OMG service for more than a month and there was no downtime since I got the service. Download speed fluctuates between 30 - 55Mbps and upload is always around 3Mbps.

Getting VOIP working was a pain. I have VOIP service with PhonePower, and it was not usable in the beginning due to upstream jitter of more than 30ms. Technical support person who initally contacted me did not offer much help. Later I emailed support@OMG and one of their engineers adjusted my connection, and the upstream jitter dropped to less than 7ms. On the voip provider site I changed audio codec size to low bandwidth (G729a) to avoid occassional hiccupps. Now both PhonePower and Vonage service is working fine.

Overall I am happy with the service provided by OMG. One concern I have is the antenna that is mounted (glued) to the tiles on top of my roof. OMG claim to have insurance and promise (nothing in writing) to repair roof in case of any damage.....but I always wonder whether the antennas will stay in case of a hurricane.

xiaolangdi

join:2013-05-02
Boca Raton, FL
reply to luvxu

OMG Fast is in Florida They are working some problems with my service. I have had Comcast and U-verse they both had problems and outages. Often, and routing issues. I am sure they are working out a few of the bugs.

Disappointed

@comcast.net
reply to luvxu

Stay away from OMGFast. OMG BAD! A fumbling and stumbling organization with one mistake after another and no way to resolve them. Signal drops out at least twice a week and you need to shutdown their equipment and reboot it. Download speed is very fast when it works but upload is very slow. The "small" dish they tell you about is actually very large and takes 4-5 hours to install. They drilled well over a dozen holes in my stucco to hold the wires plus the holes in the ROOF to hold the dish. Their customer service and billing depts are inept. You'll get a call from them every week or two for some service or tower reconfig issue and they want to walk you through something on the PC to regain service or just check if you have it. A real annoyance. They charged the 1st month and were nerver able to charge our card again for some mistake on their end. They called in March and we attempted to resolve by providing all of the info they asked for. 2 months later while at work they tear the dish off the house and leave all the holes and trash (wires and zipties) in my yard. They call me at work and ask when they can pick-up my inside equipment. Very surprised I asked what the heck they are talking about. After 5 mins of hold time they realize they removed the dish because the card hadn't been processing. They did not send me any bill by mail, did not talk to me about it, did not ask for a check which I would be happy to write to clear things up, just unbelievable. So that was 2 days ago and they still have not called me back to resolve the issue. OGM, how irresponsible this company is. Just spent 2 hours on the latter filling the holes in the house and painting over them. OMG save yourself a lot of hassle and go with another internet provider, I already have…

glitchsys0

join:2004-06-12
Boca Raton, FL
reply to GeekInfoNow

Well it's been 8 or so months now since I've had my service with omgfast. They actually refer to me as an older customer, lol. The speed is erratic, somedays it can do 65mbps easy, other times I have a hard time maintaining 20mbps. Latency is still the bigger issue for me, it's erratic which concerns me. I have a dual-WAN router and used to balance my connection between Comcast (I have a $24.99/month comcast connection as well) and OMGFast. But with such erratic behavior with OMGFast, I set the DualWAN to use Comcast first and fallback to OMGFast if something happens. I've been running that way for a couple of months now and I was going to cancel omgfast, why pay $40/month for a 'backup' connection, but I called them and they talked me into staying by offering a free month, a modem upgrade (apparently I was using an older model modem with older firmware, etc.) and such. So I'll give them another shot, I've switched to them as my primary and will be testing them for the week. Fingers crossed. The latency upon initial inspection seems a bit lower and more consistent, and the download speeds still seem to be around 65mbps and the wimax is still pushing 3.2mbps. What bothers me is my Comcast modem can do 20mbps down but close to 10mbps up. So omgfast will kill them in the download department, but Comcast kills them in the upload department, even on a el-cheapo plan like mine. Truthfully it's good to have a hard line and a wireless connection. Now an uprooted tree or cable cut, etc. can't take me offline, nor can a good thunderstorm. I've done tests during the most severe of rainstorms though and amazing it holds stable/consistent, the rain doesn't seem to bother omgfast. My installation is grounded, all the cables are neat, grounding block run to a nearby pipe, the mast is sturdy and doesn't have any play, etc. so I'm fairly confident in the installation, I wouldn't allow it any other way. I've used Skype on omgfast, haven't tried VoIP/SIP yet but I don't think they're blocking anything, I've used NNTP traffic and it goes right to the 50-65mbps and holds nice and steady, NNTP loves omgfast, more so than my Comcast connection. I was considering setting my Dual-WAN router to send all my traffic through Comcast except for NNTP traffic, just send that to OMGFast. That'd be nice, not having NNTP slow me down. I'm not sure if I'd recommend them 100% to somebody, over DSL? Probably, I don't think DSL can compete with them. Over U-Verse? Maybe... I had U-Verse and their latency, though more consistent, is high as well (because of the DSL technology/mode they use between the home and the node at the end of the street), so I'd put them on-par with U-Verse, and over XFinity/Comcast? Probably not, unless you're in an area where everyone uses Comcast, which could then cause erratic speeds and latency, so then, maybe. I'm very fortunate to have U-Verse, Comcast and OMGFast available to me. And I have 2 of them actively running to my home

miniz

join:2013-07-10
Pompano Beach, FL
reply to luvxu

I'm looking to get OMG Fast. I have several neighbors that have the service and love it. I'm stuck with very slow (1.5) but reliable ATT DSL connection right now, a terrible unreliable Advance Cable connection or a slow 3G connection.

I called and spoke with someone in engineering today and they are telling me that their engineering maps are showing that my line of sight is blocked to the tower. I asked for a manual site survey and they said no! I climbed on my roof and I'm fairly certain I can see the tower that my neighbors dish is pointed at.

Is anyone from OMG Fast on here who could help me out and arrange a site survey by an installer? I've been told this same line from DirecTV/Dish and yet we have managed to do several successful installations that were deemed impossible at several residence that I've lived at.

OMG Fast - Please PM me.

Thank you!

rainbow3366

@atlanticbb.net

it happened to me
i called for service. they game me the same reason but my neighbor is enyoying the service.
whats going on :-( i hate uverse!

miniz

join:2013-07-10
Pompano Beach, FL
reply to miniz

Nobody from OMG has contacted me. I PM'd the person who claimed to be from OMG on page 3 and have not heard back.....very disappointing.

Carlosa

@bankofamerica.com
reply to GeekInfoNow

I actually had them for over six months.... I live in the tamarac area and at first i had serious issues with them... Their service was horrible for the first three months... to the point that i had to go back to comcast.. They apparently kept charging me, even though the billing and tech support had stated they wouldnt. They call me litterly three... THREE.. months later and ask why im not paying. I reply and tell them why... and apparently they had mislooked the notations and realized i had requested tech support to go to my property months prior...

So they send the guy... i give them one last chance... they send the person and apparently the modem they had given me was outdated... and were too busy to fix it.. So they came the next day and gave me a newer one. I closed my comcast acct and went back to OMGfast.. but, two months later i start having issues agian. (NOTE: throughout the brief moment of service... it wasnt bad.. but it wasnt the best... I wasnt impressed regardless if its testing... because in comcast Im now paying 50mps and i was only getting 40mps at my home... there speeds is not constant and it depends on the location is what they had told me.)

Anywho, moving on.. About three weeks ago.. my modem apparently fried... they said that they couldnt do anything about it and that it had happened to a few other homes... I asked for a new modem and how much itd cost... they said that they didnt have any.. NOTE: i had called 11 times to reach them and NO ONE answered and EVERYONE was pushing the voicemail.. THEY HAVE ONE OF THE WORST TECH SUPPORT IVE SEEN... Just as bad as comcast... at least in comcast though thier modems dont fry... AS AN ADDED NOTE... THEY CLOSE AT 5PM? So those of you with normal jobs... will find it hard to have this service..

The tech support finally get back with me... and when they confirm my modem fried.. they tell me i cant get a new one... that they dont have any in thier site at the moment.... LIKE WTF... the guy tells me that i should go to a new servicer until they get modems... and that they wouldnt charge me until they'd fix it...

BUT THEY DID. they charged me on the 15th.... just a few days ago..

SO as you see... They arent as great. I see all these positive post... but what about the people who had bad experiances with them? I actually called this week about the payment and still have yet to get a return call.

the best internet service ive ever had... is with Coral springs Cable company... I never had issues with them in all my 2 years... and they had fast service and great internet speeds. I miss them...

bocauser

@199.193.105.x

I received at OMGFast letter dated 7/16/2013 that they are discontinuing service in my area on August 19,2013 and suggested that I make arrangements with a new service provider. They listed parts of Broward and Dade county will be discontinued. Loved their service however luckily I am moving out my home by then. This could explain the recent troubles people are having.... I live in boca raton,fl area.