MrLizard
@199.193.105.x

MrLizard to bocauser

Anon

to bocauser

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for review

I'm in Boca.
Sad to lose them.
My only high speed option is Comcast. Don't have U-Verse in my development.
Back to the Monopoly!
Thank you FCC for allowing this!
MrLizard

MrLizard to Disappointed

Anon

to Disappointed
I'm calling B.S. on this one!!
Pay your Bill Dude!
Mt debit card was low balance a few times.
They sent my Several reminders via e-mail.
I actually communicated with them.
They did not take my equipment down.
Pay your Bills and keep in touch with companies if you can't.
Does FPL keep your lights on if you don't pay??
The water company?
Why should OMG?
Doesn't matter anymore.
Dish bought them and they are folding in August

OhMyGod
@199.193.104.x

OhMyGod to bocauser

Anon

to bocauser
I also received notice that OMG will be disconnecting services in my area (Coral Springs). They will not even remove the antenna they installed on the roof. Home owners are responsible for removing equipment and wiring. Back to high priced Advanced Cable...
mitchflorida
join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

mitchflorida

Even as Cablevision Systems winds down its OMGfast fixed wireless broadband and voice service in south Florida, the MSO is already starting to tee up another experimental Internet project in the state.

According to a recorded message about OMGfast’s coming shut down, Cablevision is offering some of those customers a chance to try out this new video thing that the MSO's got cooking. “If you received an invitation to participate in the new Internet technology trial and would like to continue your service, please press 1 to opt in or get more information,” the message reader.

I'm not an OMGfast customer, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious, so of course I pressed “1” and identified myself to the person on the other end of the phone, who then, promptly and courteously, informed me that media inquiries were being handled by Cablevision.

At this stage, Cablevision is not offering any details about what this new trial is about and whether it’s based on the Multichannel Video and Data Distribution (MVDDS) spectrum it’s been using to power the OMGfast service.

"As we said previously, OMGFAST will be discontinuing its voice and broadband services and we have nothing further to announce,” a Cablevision spokeswoman said.

Still, the trial appears to be small and unrelated to OMGfast. And, according to the recorded message, not all existing OMGfast are being invited to test the waters on this new Internet technology trial. So, I’ll keep digging around for more. And if you’re a former OMGfast customer who has a explored this new, experimental option, I’d love to hear from you.

Cablevision is expected to complete the shut down of OMGfast sometime next month. At its high point, about 3,000 customers took the service, which was highlighted by a 50 Mbps Internet service and offered in Florida’s Broward and Palm Beach counties.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I'd be curious to know what their original intentions were with this service. Was it experimental to begin with? Now 3,000 customers will have to find alternate broadband. 3,000 customers isn't too shabby a number for the short period of time they offered the service. What is the deal here? Was any government money used for this program? Something just doesn't smell right.
mitchflorida
join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

mitchflorida

It was just a pilot program. Rain fade would make this product too risky for most people who rely on it for internet and phone service.
TV might be more promising.
glitchsys0
join:2004-06-12
Boca Raton, FL

glitchsys0

Cablevision is shutting down their experiment, omgfast. They wanted to test the viability of MVDDS, learn the quirks, capabilities, range, etc. so they created omgfast and offered an incredible deal. 50mbps for $40 a month is a good deal, check out Comcast Business 50mbps plan, $199.95 a month. »business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans So they offered a great deal, managed to get themselves 3000 subscribers, definitely there was bad reviews, it was an experimental service! I think they then sold most of the MVDDS spectrum they purchased to Dish Network (I wonder what they'll do with it... I mean Dish was looking at buying Clearwire away from Sprint earlier, so Dish is definitely sticking their neck out there, they wanted Clearwire's WiMax network and now they want Cablevision's MVDDS network... could be interesting) and Cablevision ended up leasing back a portion of the spectrum they just sold Dish, just to keep OMGFast running. I think they're either tired of leasing the spectrum, the contract is up and Dish isn't renewing it because they want it for whatever they have planned, etc. Either way we were left high and dry. No big deal, we had no contracts and we got a good deal for the little while it lasts, as long as the service was 'semi-stable' for you, you came out ok in the end. It sucks they're leaving the equipment, I mean the Linksys E1200 isn't a bad router, I actually put DD-WRT on mine and used it's ability to run a free restricted wifi-hotspot, figured for the last month of service I should let the neighborhood see how omgfast performs. I plan on using the mast they left behind to put a 16dbi directional 2.4ghz WiFi antenna, I hope to get a shot to my brothers house 1.1 miles away. Nice of OMGFast to leave me a mast that goes up fairly high. I "think" the WiMax Antenna (white one) they left behind may be usable by other's, I think it's the Proxim Tsunami or something, I hope to list it on EBay and see if i can get anything for it. I'm fairly sure the MVDDS modem and 'dish' is useless to anybody else so I guess I'll trash it. If anybody's interested in selling the OMGFast equipment off PM me, maybe we can find out more about what models they are and what they're worth or even go into a group auction or something. Who knows. Better than ending up in a landfill. The Linksys E1200 and PoE injector (powers up the WiMax antenna) are definitely worth something, not much, but it's something.
Expand your moderator at work