andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy

Re: [DTA] What DTAs is Comcast acquiring that are brand new

I noticed my DCM101 got a firmware update a few days ago.

The only obvious normal user change is that an HD channel that is programmed into it for some reason no longer works. It used to work fine, but displayed a chopped 4:3 picture. Now, it has about 1/2sec of audio, then nothing. No video.

In the diagnostics, there is a second page to the Tuner Status that just lists a history of the frequencies tuned. Weird.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to rody_44

MVM

to rody_44
That was probably a mistake. They are grandfathered in.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Did notice another change from that firmware update. It appears to now support 4-digit channels. Typing 3 digits would then instantly tune it in. Now it pauses unless you hit ENTER, or you put 0's in front.

Useless here as there are no 4-digit channels. Even in areas with them, are any of them SD, or are they only HD?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

From an article today on the Light Reading Cable site about Humax targeting some new products for Comcast (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable ):
But rather than targeting Comcast's business for video gateways, Humax appears to be focused on the lower end of the market, placing early efforts on IP-only HD client boxes and a new line of QAM-based HD Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA) devices. (See Comcast HD-DTAs Reach the FCC: »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable)
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to andyross

to andyross
compatibility???

The Full SD boxes can see the HD channels but can't tune them.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Back before Comcast started setting HD as a separate code, my parents ancient SD boxes could receive the HD channels. It did tune them in and had audio, but no video. These were ancient DCT-2xxx's. I think newer ones may be able to tune them in and downconvert, if they are in the allowed channel mapping.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

The reason why Thomson/Technicolor SD DTAs can tune to and downconvert an HD channel and output it at SD is because they use a Broadcom BCM3545 chipset. In this article on it »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· d=161812 it says:
Broadcom's new [BCM3545] DTA chipset is based on the BCM3543 chip that's being used in some terrestrial, over-the-air [DTV] converter boxes.
:
We took that [BCM3543 chip] at the core and basically cable-ized it...
From a product brief I found on the BCM3543 chip, it states:
On-chip support to convert all inputs (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) to standard definition analog output 480i format.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to andyross

to andyross
I remember on of the SD boxes being able to view info channel HD when it was in the 480i looping help video mode. But what happens to the bandwidth it needs for HD. when it's is in 480i mode?

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

That bandwidth may be more or less fixed. It's a local channel, not national, so it could be anything. It may somewhat depend on what else is using that same frequency.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Cable-Tec Expo: Evolution Digital Screws In Wall-Plate DTA
Digital-to-Analog Device Aimed a Multidwelling Units

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - October 19, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/cab ··· a/139894
Evolution Digital said operators including Comcast are planning to deploy its HD wall-plate digital terminal adapter ...
:
Comcast will deploy the Liberty devices in 2013, according to Smith. Comcast spokeswoman Jenni Moyer declined to confirm its rollout of the wall-plate DTAs.
telcodad

telcodad to PaulGo

MVM

to PaulGo
said by PaulGo:

It's possible that either Comcast got a waiver or they are changing the encryption on all but the premium channels, but according to my sources at Comcast you will have the ability to get all but the pay channels.

Well, it looks like your sources are right, for in an item in today's cable news round-up article on the Light Reading Cable site today (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable) it says:
It's understood that a new breed of HD-DTAs will include more flexible security mechanisms that will allow for the support of higher-level tiers, including premium cable TV services.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

with comcasts limited premium HD it's not that good of idea unless they kill off SD channels and use the room to add back the cut HD.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

It's reported that Comcast has finally started to deploy HD-DTAs now.

See my post about it in another thread: »Re: [DTA] Are DTA boxes with HD coming out any time soon?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
why are you always beating on Comcast? Have you left for directv or dish yet?
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

I know a few people that have dealt with them on the past and have switched I left them years ago for an other system.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

pot meet kettle...

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by dishrich:

said by mikedz4:

pot meet kettle...

I lost count on how many times he said if I could I would get Directv.