uniqs
liquid_ic
join:2010-07-19
L

1 edit

liquid_ic to elitefx

to elitefx

Re: Rogers New Ultimate Package

Requires 8 channel bonding modem before you can put the package on the account ... Looks like they got us again .. the rep told me u require the new docsis 3 modems.. my 6120 shows up as a SMC on their system. I hope this pisses of a lot off people who paid 250 for a SMC piece of crap.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

4 edits

1 recommendation

elitefx

said by liquid_ic:

Requires 8 channel bonding modem before you can put the package on the account ...

Once again, another pack of lies by Rogers. If four 6 MHz channels were bonded, and those four channels used 256-QAM modulation, the resultant "mini-pipe" would be capable of jamming 155 Mbps down to a single cable modem. (The math goes like this: 4x38.8 Mbps = 155 Mbps.) If 10 channels were bonded, the mini-pipe would offer 388 Mbps -- again, to a single receiving modem. »www.translation-please.c ··· aryid=86

And from »www.scribd.com/doc/17480 ··· CSIS-30-

DOCSIS 3.0 Overview
•Increased Throughput
•Support a minimum of four bonded downstream channels,each with a throughput of 38Mbps (152Mbps Total)
•Support a minimum of four bonded upstream channels,each with a throughput of 27Mbps (108Mbps Total)
•Increased upstream bandwidth (5-85MHz)

This isn't brain surgery. It's common sense. The docsis 3 facts and figures are all over the Net. Rogers doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of sliding this one past anyone with half a brain.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

Internal documents do indicate that the DPC3825 is required for this package. I'm assuming they put this in place as 8 bonded channels can deliver these types of speeds more consistently vs 4 bonded channels. However, the Cisco DPC3825 shares the same product code as the SMC D3GN so I'm not sure if this is actually system enforced.

ArthurWinsl
@rogers.com

ArthurWinsl to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
eliteFX while you are correct in regards to the theoretical docsis channel limit, I can tell you now that you'll never hit 38mbps on a single channel due to overhead. We barely hit that close in our labs.

Otherwise, you're totally spot on. The reason why Rogers is heavily pushing the Scientific Atlanta docsis 3 series is due to a discounted lease they're getting for the install base. Not anything having to do with trying to optimize the network. If that were certainly the case then that same mandate would be applicable to Teksavvy, Acanac and Smart Communications as well.