spc
uniqs
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm to grohgreg

to grohgreg

Re: [HN7000S] Hughes Satellite Strength Issues

"coaxial spike protector"? Is that a UPS battery backup device and if so, is it a problem?
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by monicakm:

"coaxial spike protector"? Is that a UPS battery backup device and if so, is it a problem?

There is a difference between running the power cord through a surge protector/UPS and running the transmit and receive coax cables through the surge protector/UPS. In the past, I've had no issues running the power supplies of various electronics through the UPS, but there are potential issues with running the coax cables through a surge protector.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to monicakm

to monicakm
said by monicakm:

Well, I'm talking primarily about surge strips. At one time, less than informed (or crooked) Direcway installers would sell them to customers as "value added protection". Hughes has tried to put a stop to that practice. But with the proliferation of home theater systems, some UPS manufacturers now feature coaxial cable protection on their battery backup units. The feature is obvious if there are at least two threaded coaxial jacks somewhere on the device.

This protection is intended for TV cable or satellite TV which typically carries 1/2 amp or less. Both are receive-only, and typically carry 1/2 amp or less. What is not advertised is that satellite internet (transmit) cables can carry nearly six times that much current, which subsequently suffers when made to travel through the wrong type of coaxial spike suppression device. And when your TX suffers, the resultant number of retransmission requests necessarily slows down the RX.

Relative to the OP issue however, RX signal strength is not ordinarily affected - unless there is a malfunction internal to the coaxial spike protector.

//greg//

smoke665
@direcway.com

smoke665

Anon

Forgot to mention on previous posts I'm on 87 W 1090 MHz if that makes any difference.

I find it really hard to believe that my equipment could work for days, weeks and even months without incident and then suddenly start showing up this fluctuating signal strength issue.

I guess it could be a combination of both my equipment and Hughes.