uniqs
ricky_005
join:2012-01-17
united state

1 edit

ricky_005 to A Tech

to A Tech

Re: HughesNet Gen 4 (USA Latest News)

@A Tech - Based on your comment, you seem to support HughsNets $8 GB extortion overage pricing for the US.
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by ricky_005:

@A Tech - Based on your comment, you seem to support HughsNets $8 GB overage pricing for the US.

I'm guessing that Hughes has determined that, if they sell additional bandwidth for a modest charge, people won't hesitate to use that additional bandwidth and that such additional bandwidth usage will stretch available bandwidth to the point of bogging down the system for all users. Thus, they have decided to make the charge for bandwidth overages so high that most users will be especially careful not to go there. That is also the thinking of the cell phone companies with regard to their very high overage charges.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Gen4 has the capacity to supply decent plans with low cost overages. It is not even a matter of trying to make people think they don't have the capacity anymore. With 140gbps of capacity, it is simply "because we can."

Capacity issues are only a problem during peak anyway, which is when QoS is already implemented to handle congestion. Charging overages during periods of non-peak is purely for money.
ricky_005
united state

ricky_005 to One More Too

to One More Too
quote:
I'm guessing that Hughes has determined that, if they sell additional bandwidth for a modest charge, people won't hesitate to use that additional bandwidth and that such additional bandwidth usage will stretch available bandwidth to the point of bogging down the system for all users.
NO...They are figuring you will go over and have no other option but to pay the $8 GB extortion fee. One reason out of a million....Your child's school requires them to perform research online and consumes all of the plans data within a week!
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

said by ricky_005:

quote:
I'm guessing that Hughes has determined that, if they sell additional bandwidth for a modest charge, people won't hesitate to use that additional bandwidth and that such additional bandwidth usage will stretch available bandwidth to the point of bogging down the system for all users.
NO...They are figuring you will go over and have no other option but to pay the $8 GB extortion fee. One reason out of a million....Your child's school requires them to perform research online and consumes all of the plans data within a week!

If your kid is using up GB's in a week or 2 for research, they are actually doing something else besides the research.
ricky_005
united state

ricky_005

Its going to happen..... kids are curious creatures.

And mommy and daddy gets a bill for $300 bucks ...
A Tech
join:2008-11-10

A Tech to ricky_005

to ricky_005
I just know how much satellite bandwidth cost in 1985 to light up a transponder 24 hours a day 7 days a week. $250 per hour on an unpopular ku bird at the time. I am grateful for what we get now and getting 60 gigs a month for $100.00 or so seems to be a bargain.
ricky_005
united state

3 edits

ricky_005

said by A Tech :

I just know how much satellite bandwidth cost in 1985 to light up a transponder 24 hours a day 7 days a week. $250 per hour on an unpopular ku bird at the time. I am grateful for what we get now and getting 60 gigs a month for $100.00 or so seems to be a bargain.

What Country and which Corporation is giving you 60GB a month for $100.00?

Hopeless Gam
@direcway.com

Hopeless Gam to A Tech

Anon

to A Tech
hold on 60 gig for 100 bucks? where? who? and are they around me?

Hopless Gam
@direcway.com

Hopless Gam to ricky_005

Anon

to ricky_005
DITTO
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to sharkyyoung

Premium Member

to sharkyyoung
said by sharkyyoung:

said by ricky_005:

quote:

If your kid is using up GB's in a week or 2 for research, they are actually doing something else besides the research.

Not necessarily. Teachers these days assign assignments without the slightest regard for data usage. Especially in highschool, where teachers assign for students to watch hours of online videos for some of their projects.
marsh_0x
join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

1 edit

marsh_0x

I just called Dish Network and the tech was unaware of »www.exede.com/exede-cust ··· ree-zone nothing has been said to him.

Dropped from the 15GB package to 10GB their lowest plan for $52 (tax), last month used 3.4GB so makes sense to save $30.

In 3 hours will test after midnight cst, odd wasn't able to check usage until logging out of Gmail.
Too be continued drinking coffee haha

EDIT: darn it posted on the wrong thread
ricky_005
united state

4 edits

ricky_005

I used 2.3 GB of data just last night on HughesNet during the free FAP period.

If I consumed the same amount every night for the month. I would have consumed 69 GB of data for just $79.00 a month

Its not a great deal but I'm not getting Raped.

If I was on there new GEN 4 SAT 30GB plan. I would be receiving a bill for $412.00 + TAX For that price I can get a T1 circuit for $269.00 and Eat all I want, run a domain, email server you name it on my server in the house!
ricky_005

3 edits

ricky_005 to marsh_0x

to marsh_0x
Sounds VERY VERY tasty... Not very familiar with their throttling Scheme ...

Have heard rumors of very unfair throttling practices of users for simply using 75% of there data and they would throttle them down to a dial-up for using the data they payed for. And punish them even further by keeping them throttled down for weeks on end. Maybe someone can clear this up?

Maybe there is no colluding going on and there might be a Data War after all.... But I seriously doubt it though... Keeping fingers crossed there will be WAR!

There's still time for HughesNet to change there plans before releasing....Will have to wait and see.
A Tech

A Tech to ricky_005

to ricky_005
said by ricky_005:

said by A Tech :

What Country and which Corporation is giving you 60GB a month for $100.00?

Hughes net
Expand your moderator at work

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to ricky_005

to ricky_005

said by ricky_005:

For that price I can get a T1 circuit for $269.00 and Eat all I want, run a domain, email server you name it on my server in the house!

I'd love to see you try. A T1 is pathetic now-a-days. The speeds equal standard DSL lines (1.5mbps DSL - 1.544mbps T1) and cost a few hundred a month not to mention the setup fees and repeaters.
ricky_005
united state

2 edits

ricky_005

$269.00 3 year lease.....Circuit on Ebay for $60 bucks... As for speed its not going to knock your socks off .... but at-less I know I'm going to get 1.5mb down and up and ultra low latency!

As for the experience its very good....used one for years...streaming video works just fine.

If the government truly wanted to bring broadband (T1) to the masses, it could easily be done cheaply using the copper infrastructure which is already is place. As for the current cost .... its a shame and always has been.

A T1 line for $80 bucks could be a reality if it wasn't for greedy corporate lobbyist. It would be a great deal ... than hughesNet and WildBlue would have to migrate to providing satellite cellular service for the masses .... Can you hear me now!

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to ricky_005

Mod

to ricky_005

(topic move) HughesNet Gen 4 (USA Latest News)

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been removed for TOS violations

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

1 edit

Tweakbl to A Tech

to A Tech

Reply to ATech

On a installer plan of coarse.
A Tech

A Tech

said by Tweakbl:

Reply to ATech

On a installer plan of coarse.

Correction 40 gigs 20 anytime and 20 from 2 to 8 am.
Expand your moderator at work