Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FIOS4cable

join:2009-05-08
NYC

1 edit

[IMG] Emergency Alert System Broadcast Message Every week

(NYC) Emergency Alert System {EAS} broadcast message on Tuesday August 14, 2012 approximate 1:55am Why is this still going on and not just blocking broadcast cable, but my DVR? Do we really need this every week?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Verizon FIOS is not creating the alerts. They are called for by various Federal, State, and Local authorities. As far as frequency complain to them.

As far as completely disrupting the DVR, I already put in a suggestion that Verizon modify their code. At least one other providers DVR and I think someone said the TIVO's will continue to record as long as one decoder is available to handle the alert. see and vote for »forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your···p/356465

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to FIOS4cable

I do not like those EAS messages as well. Even if I am currently watching VOD, or DVR, as well as regular TV, it always stops everything to display this. I esp do not like that if I am recording something at that time, it splits it into 2 or more events (If it decides to continue the recording that is.)

I wish it only affected 1 tuner, not both.

FIOS4cable

NYC
reply to tnsprin

Thank You
for the link.

sg

join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

man I hate it when I'm watching VOD and this comes on. It doesn't go back to the movie when it finishes. Then you start the movie back up and another one hits a few minutes later

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to FIOS4cable

Yes, it is quite annoying when the required monthly alert pops up once a week (or maybe more often). Maybe Verizon's calendar is defective.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Again, it's not V* that is responsible for the alerts. There are local, state and national triggers for them. The regs say that weekly and monthly tests must be conducted by whatever authorities may issue them:

(47 C.F.R. §11.61)
EAS tests are required by FCC Rules and must follow FCC Rule requirements

Weekly Tests:
Weekly tests consist of transmitting the EAS digital header codes and end of message (EOM) codes, once each week.
Weekly tests must be conducted by EAS participants on different days and at different times.

Monthly Tests:
Monthly tests consist of transmitting:
- EAS digital header codes;
- the two-tone attention signal;
- a brief test script and EOM code;
- a visual display of header code data.
Monthly tests must be retransmitted within 60 minutes of receipt.

Odd/Even Months:
- In odd months, monthly tests must be conducted between 8:30 a.m. to local sunset.
- In even months, monthly tests must be conducted between local sunset to 8:30 a.m.
V* must retransmit the EAS tests and alerts when they receive them - most systems do it automatically when the test or alert is issued to them. It is a PITA as there a number of entities that can issue the tests and they really do not have to coordinate them.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

brianmcd
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA
reply to FIOS4cable

It would be great if the message could say who initiated the EAS Test Request. That way we could complain to the source.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by brianmcd:

It would be great if the message could say who initiated the EAS Test Request. That way we could complain to the source.

[smartas*mode] Yeah, That'll stop 'em. [endsmartas*mode]
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to brianmcd

said by brianmcd:

In Southern California, the source agency is listed in the scroll at the top of the screen.

FIOS4cable

NYC
reply to FIOS4cable

Again it happened @ 2am in VHO 5 (NY)

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

Im in VHO7, notice it like once a week but keep in mind im not on 24/7....

Expand your moderator at work

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to webcobbler

Re: [IMG] Emergency Alert System Broadcast Message Every week

said by webcobbler :

I do not like those EAS messages as well. Even if I am currently watching VOD, or DVR, as well as regular TV, it always stops everything to display this.

Uh, yeah, that's the whole point. What if it's a real emergency? Should it not show the alert if you're on VOD?

tnsprin

Bradenton, FL

Regretable that's its mandatory to show them. The same alerts go out to what is commonly called Weather Radios. Apparently different regs because many of those are set to save and display but not go active for tests.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

What's the problem? These tests have been around on OTA stations for decades. You all haven't gotten used to them yet?

Martha

@verizon.net

In Arlington, I am getting multiple EAS messages per week. Some of these are not for Arlington, but are for other counties. So someone has not set the filtering correctly.

This also generates two side problems:
(1) When I am watching On-Demand, the EAS message stops the show. The RESUME option does not work, so I have to start at the beginning and Fast-Forward through it, which is not allowed for some broadcast TV channels.

(2) I fall asleep with the TV on and these EAS are louder and wake me up. That's why I know that they are running more than once a week. I'm OK with them being loud — but not when the message is for Arlington.

ksalper

join:2002-11-15
West Orange, NJ
reply to UnnDunn

But they're NOT real emergencies; they're tests. Why exactly do I need to be woken up (lots of us fall asleep with the TV on) for a test message in the middle of the night? Why does a test message have to break my DVR recording? It's a test, leave me out of it.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to FIOS4cable

When watching on demand EAS SHOULD stop the show,however in an ideal world you would have the option of resuming it where you left off especially if it is a pay program.

If you are recording a show in the background the recording should imho continue uninterrupted as long as there is a way to present the EAS message.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to ksalper

said by ksalper:

But they're NOT real emergencies; they're tests. Why exactly do I need to be woken up (lots of us fall asleep with the TV on) for a test message in the middle of the night? Why does a test message have to break my DVR recording? It's a test, leave me out of it.

Becuase Verizon is required by law. You all complain about these things, I hate them too (they have ruined some of my recordings as well) but Verizons hands are tied. They are REQUIRED to air them when they are told to do so.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

For the first time since we have had FiOS the EAS was used twice tonight for a tornado warning.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

Mine went off tonight for the Tornado as well

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by Jackarino:

Mine went off tonight for the Tornado as well

Same here in Monmouth County. The only issue I have is the tornado warning was for those in Warren County but since its in VHO7, like Monmouth, we get the warning. Would be nice if they could instead distribute the warnings based on zipcodes which is included in the stb info.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

They do it this way maybe because of the folks with digital adapters?

sg

Montclair, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

Heh, I got that warning tonight -- first I've ever seen a non-test -- and was wondering if this thread would be bumped.

I get that the tests are required by law, but I don't think anyone has addressed the question (asked in the OP) of whether that requirement extends to when you are not watching TV: ie. using the DVR to watch recorded programming, or when watching OnDemand content.

Either way, I don't have a problem with the test themselves, just how Verizon handles it. Boots you out of your DVR and OnDemand and when the test is over it doesn't take you back

tnsprin

Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by sg:

Heh, I got that warning tonight -- first I've ever seen a non-test -- and was wondering if this thread would be bumped.

I get that the tests are required by law, but I don't think anyone has addressed the question (asked in the OP) of whether that requirement extends to when you are not watching TV: ie. using the DVR to watch recorded programming, or when watching OnDemand content.

Either way, I don't have a problem with the test themselves, just how Verizon handles it. Boots you out of your DVR and OnDemand and when the test is over it doesn't take you back

Yes it is required for DVR and ON-demand. You wouldn't want to miss a tornado alert just because your weren't watching live would you?

Still it be nice if they handled it better. Continued to record any programs being recorded, and picked up the DVR playback or on-demand exactly where they were interrupted.

sg

Montclair, NJ

said by tnsprin:

Yes it is required for DVR and ON-demand. You wouldn't want to miss a tornado alert just because your weren't watching live would you?

There are plenty of things I could be doing other than watching live TV that would cause me to miss a tornado alert. Would you expect to be interrupted while watching a DVD? I don't see how a regulation intended for television broadcasts would cover recorded or OnDemand programming. DVR content is obviously not broadcast at all, and OnDemand is internet-based. No other internet video streaming services transmit the test. Further, reading the actual regulation posted in this thread (47 C.F.R. §11.61), the law specifies that they only must transmit the test on "programmed channels".

I'm not arguing the merits of interrupting these services for emergencies (again, my real issue is only with Verizon's execution), but I think the idea that they are required to do it for services other than live television is dubious at best.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

I was a a place that had Optimum and instead of the EAS alert talking over the STB with a full screen message there is a red bar with white text that appears at the top of the screen with the EAS Alert and then it goes away.

If you watch the FiOS EAS alerts they can do the same thing as there is a scroll at the top of the screen in addition to the full screen message.
My only guess as to why they don't just use the scroll is because the scroll does not show up for people using cable card devices like a TiVO.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02

said by icemannyr1:

My only guess as to why they don't just use the scroll is because the scroll does not show up for people using cable card devices like a TiVO.

The scroll shows up on my TiVo. It's actually formatted more nicely, too.

eival

join:2008-07-09

this is extremely annoying since it erases any cache you had paused, i was in the middle of a movie just 2 nights ago, had it paused for about 30 minutes, the EAS came on and when it ended the movie was resumed from the live feed and the entire cache was gone, so i had to wait 2 days to see the next reair =\

i also hate that they havent pushed an update to make it resume fully recorded dvr programs where it was when it cut off