Search similar:

uniqs

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to FIOS4cable

to FIOS4cable

Re: [IMG] Emergency Alert System Broadcast Message Every week

For the first time since we have had FiOS the EAS was used twice tonight for a tornado warning.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Mine went off tonight for the Tornado as well

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom

said by WK2:

Mine went off tonight for the Tornado as well

Same here in Monmouth County. The only issue I have is the tornado warning was for those in Warren County but since its in VHO7, like Monmouth, we get the warning. Would be nice if they could instead distribute the warnings based on zipcodes which is included in the stb info.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

They do it this way maybe because of the folks with digital adapters?
sg9
join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ

sg9 to FIOS4cable

to FIOS4cable
Heh, I got that warning tonight -- first I've ever seen a non-test -- and was wondering if this thread would be bumped.

I get that the tests are required by law, but I don't think anyone has addressed the question (asked in the OP) of whether that requirement extends to when you are not watching TV: ie. using the DVR to watch recorded programming, or when watching OnDemand content.

Either way, I don't have a problem with the test themselves, just how Verizon handles it. Boots you out of your DVR and OnDemand and when the test is over it doesn't take you back
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

said by sg9:

Heh, I got that warning tonight -- first I've ever seen a non-test -- and was wondering if this thread would be bumped.

I get that the tests are required by law, but I don't think anyone has addressed the question (asked in the OP) of whether that requirement extends to when you are not watching TV: ie. using the DVR to watch recorded programming, or when watching OnDemand content.

Either way, I don't have a problem with the test themselves, just how Verizon handles it. Boots you out of your DVR and OnDemand and when the test is over it doesn't take you back

Yes it is required for DVR and ON-demand. You wouldn't want to miss a tornado alert just because your weren't watching live would you?

Still it be nice if they handled it better. Continued to record any programs being recorded, and picked up the DVR playback or on-demand exactly where they were interrupted.
sg9
join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ

sg9

said by tnsprin:

Yes it is required for DVR and ON-demand. You wouldn't want to miss a tornado alert just because your weren't watching live would you?

There are plenty of things I could be doing other than watching live TV that would cause me to miss a tornado alert. Would you expect to be interrupted while watching a DVD? I don't see how a regulation intended for television broadcasts would cover recorded or OnDemand programming. DVR content is obviously not broadcast at all, and OnDemand is internet-based. No other internet video streaming services transmit the test. Further, reading the actual regulation posted in this thread (47 C.F.R. §11.61), the law specifies that they only must transmit the test on "programmed channels".

I'm not arguing the merits of interrupting these services for emergencies (again, my real issue is only with Verizon's execution), but I think the idea that they are required to do it for services other than live television is dubious at best.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to FIOS4cable

to FIOS4cable
I was a a place that had Optimum and instead of the EAS alert talking over the STB with a full screen message there is a red bar with white text that appears at the top of the screen with the EAS Alert and then it goes away.

If you watch the FiOS EAS alerts they can do the same thing as there is a scroll at the top of the screen in addition to the full screen message.
My only guess as to why they don't just use the scroll is because the scroll does not show up for people using cable card devices like a TiVO.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by icemannyr1:

My only guess as to why they don't just use the scroll is because the scroll does not show up for people using cable card devices like a TiVO.

The scroll shows up on my TiVo. It's actually formatted more nicely, too.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival

this is extremely annoying since it erases any cache you had paused, i was in the middle of a movie just 2 nights ago, had it paused for about 30 minutes, the EAS came on and when it ended the movie was resumed from the live feed and the entire cache was gone, so i had to wait 2 days to see the next reair =\

i also hate that they havent pushed an update to make it resume fully recorded dvr programs where it was when it cut off
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to FIOS4cable

to FIOS4cable
the one thing i like about uverse, is when that annoying EAS comes on it has a stop button, or more info button, or you let it ride out. scares the crap out of my 1 year old though.

celticpride
@verizon.net

celticpride

Anon

It woudnt bother me if these came on at 1or2 a.m. but it came on during the bradcast of a live preseason nba game i was watching, this better not start happening during the regular season,because in 14 years with directv i never have this happen.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE

ggma1126 to FIOS4cable

Premium Member

to FIOS4cable
just seems to me they are more frequent now than ever before
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

What's the problem? These tests have been around on OTA stations for decades. You all haven't gotten used to them yet?

I'm certainly used to them. I cam remember 640/1240 Conelrad on radio stations.

That doesn't mean I like them, particularly when the tests interrupt programming. Couldn't they interrupt a commercial block?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by billhere:

said by PJL:

What's the problem? These tests have been around on OTA stations for decades. You all haven't gotten used to them yet?

I'm certainly used to them. I cam remember 640/1240 Conelrad on radio stations.

That doesn't mean I like them, particularly when the tests interrupt programming. Couldn't they interrupt a commercial block?

Ah you're dating yourself! Remember, the alerts are initiated by the originators (not Verizon) and are inserted on all channels simultaneously. So, no they couldn't interrupt a commercial block.
The tests are to ensure that the end-to-end system (from the originator to the viewer) works. I, for one, don't mind the test to ensure reliability so that the system works when it needs to -- like right now with Hurricane Sandy.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to ggma1126

Premium Member

to ggma1126
said by ggma1126:

just seems to me they are more frequent now than ever before

Part of that is FCC regulations of EAS alerts are being followed/enforced more since the big National alert planning that happened last year. The EAS alert system has also been undergoing a massive overhaul the last year or two with new protocol and equipment requirements, which have to be tested.
FCC National EAS reporting site:
»www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia ··· ide-test
New EAS rules:
»www.broadcastlawblog.com ··· n-april/

Photoman15
join:2000-06-12
Brooklyn, NY

Photoman15 to FIOS4cable

to FIOS4cable
After all the "alerts", I haven't seen one at all for Hurricane Sandy

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Photoman15:

contact your local and regional government authorities about that. They're the ones in control of the alerts.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by DocDrew:

said by Photoman15:

contact your local and regional government authorities about that. They're the ones in control of the alerts.

Contact them to remind them to send warnings over EAS? Obviously the EAS system is a big fat bureaucratic fail given no one has seen any warnings of it regarding Sandy. Kind of like the local civil warning sirens going off every first Wednesday at 1pm for a test and never going off when a tornado is around the corner.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Are EAS warnings really needed for Sandy when every news station in the US has coverage of it? What more information do you expect to get from an EAS alert?

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by DocDrew:

Are EAS warnings really needed for Sandy when every news station in the US has coverage of it? What more information do you expect to get from an EAS alert?

Why did you suggest contacting local authorities if you think EAS is unneeded for this scenario?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

Why did you suggest contacting local authorities if you think EAS is unneeded for this scenario?

In ANY case if you wonder why something may or may not have generated a real EAS alert, contact your local or regional EAS authorities since they are the ones who control it. A good example is your tornado warnings, you say you don't get any through EAS. Your local EAS authorities would be a good place to ask about that.

In this particular case what do you really expect to get beyond the multi-channel saturation news coverage? Is there some part of the storm that isn't getting covered that EAS can better alert you to locally? Is there not enough coverage? Is there not enough notification of evacuations? What would you ask the local EAS authorities to do with their EAS alerts concerning Sandy? How do you think EAS actually failed in this case?

In this case I can't see a need for EAS alerts, but I'm not local. Someone in Brooklyn, in the path of the Sandy, may see more need and want to know who to contact about it.

Some people complain there are too many alerts, some complain there aren't enough.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by DocDrew:

said by Nezmo:

In this case I can't see a need for EAS alerts, but I'm not local. Someone in Brooklyn, in the path of the Sandy, may see more need and want to know who to contact about it.

Exactly, I'm not in the path and apparently neither are you. Perhaps there are times when localized alerts might help, I don't know.

I live in a region that has catastrophic storms where issues can spring up fast and I can remember how many times the EAS has provided an alert - once. As you point out, the news is often a better source of info. So what is the point of EAS again? It doesn't seem to work or be of any use given the million other sources of info these days.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

So what is the point of EAS again? It doesn't seem to work or be of any use given the million other sources of info these days.

In my local area, EAS is used for flash flood alerts with specific geographic info that local/regional news doesn't cover as it's too localized and quick for them to cover before the fact. You'll find news covering the aftermath and damage when they get there a few hours later...

EAS isn't used for earthquakes though, between no warning, being too regional in effects, and widely covered by news which revels in aftermath and damage reports, EAS isn't any real help so I don't expect it.

EAS is good for relatively soon to occur, local issue warnings or MASS saturation, can't miss information straight from the government.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to FIOS4cable

to FIOS4cable
The only real EAS I have ever seen was when visiting Allentown, Pennsylvania, a few years ago. We were watching TV in the motel room when we got an alert about a severe thunderstorm that was approaching in the next half-hour. Sure enough, it rained like heck in about 20 minutes.

Now do they really need to test this stuff every week? I think once a year would be fine.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by billhere:

The only real EAS I have ever seen was when visiting Allentown, Pennsylvania, a few years ago. We were watching TV in the motel room when we got an alert about a severe thunderstorm that was approaching in the next half-hour. Sure enough, it rained like heck in about 20 minutes.

Now do they really need to test this stuff every week? I think once a year would be fine.

why are they sending alerts for severe thunderstorm warnings? My area sends alerts for Tornado, Flood, and Amber Alert. One time I got an alert for 2 counties over for a high water rescue civil emergency at a lake that is built on a river.

celticpride
@verizon.net

celticpride

Anon

why cant they do this test at 3 a.m. in every time zone? i had one done during a preseason nba game around 5 p.m. the i had it done once while revolution on nbc during prime time and then again last night during CSI NY! I hate when they cut in to my tv viewing during primetime!!(unless theres a real emergency.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by celticpride :

why cant they do this test at 3 a.m. in every time zone? i had one done during a preseason nba game around 5 p.m. the i had it done once while revolution on nbc during prime time and then again last night during CSI NY! I hate when they cut in to my tv viewing during primetime!!(unless theres a real emergency.

If you look at the federal regs regarding EAS tests, they are to be performed at random times throughout the 24 hour day (no consideration given to primetime or off hours). There are both weekly and monthly tests, initiated at regional and state levels. There can be multiple tests per week or even during a single day, depending on the schedules the various participants (govt agencies) set and how many participants have access to your particular area.

Verizon has no control over when or how many tests are initiated in a given area. When a test is initiated by a participant, their system must respond.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to DocDrew

to DocDrew
i live in florida and havent seen 1 damn EAS announcement override my programming ever, not even with Debby earlier this year, let alone when Sandy was just off the eastern shore, only reason i even knew it was there was cause i checked weather.com after the 2nd straight day of cloud cover and i see it right off the coast of miami...nice job of making people aware of possible danger incase they arent already aware of it, EAS, but thanks for screwing up my paused movie cache which was the last showing of its rotation in HD and only has SD broadcasts left...to let me know that the system test worked out fine at 3am each night

matter fact, i remember Debby was during one of the major PGA events and NBC or CBS who ever was broadcasting had their own warning stuck over the screen the with a looping map and scrolling text, horribly placed right where their regular on screen stats and boxes were placed with a mile of empty screen space below it that they could easily placed it there