negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

negativeduck to peteboston

Premium Member

to peteboston

Re: [Speed] Massachusetts - Persistent slow perf. to locations

So, one thing did you notice that your throughput is directly tied to your Latency. This is usually indicative of a window (tcp) problem on either the sender or the receiver side. Actually fairly common for throughput to start to take a stellar dive as latency increases more and more. IE 56ms to Dallas yea your likely butting up against that and depending on the range / your stacks ability to change can cause an impact. Yes ICMP being bottom of the barrel may not be 100% accurate of the RTT your seeing in tcp transmissions but then again it might be and without direct knowledge of all links it's hard to say. Likewise if you ran the same test UDP you would probably get full speed.

(NOTE: The Windows on the speedtests (outs) are tweaked for serving their local markets at the best, they are NOT tweaked for serving all locations)

So Backbone guys came back list of questions:
1. What are his target sites - i.e. the ones on the west coast that he actually cares about, not the speed test sites?
2. Traceroutes from his VZ connection to the speedtest servers.
3. What time of day are the problems, or are the problems particularly acute? Or is it equally good/bad all day?
4. What does he get on the 'Speed Test Plus' test found on most speedtest.net sites for packet loss, latency, and jitter?
5. Ditto as above but on Verizon

This was followed with:
I could make a routing change to avoid Megapath (which runs speedtest.net) and go level3-megapath, but this seems crazy to favor an indirect over a direct connection and the speedtest sites are proxies for the sites he actually cares about so improving them artificially won't make him happy.
peteboston
join:1999-11-10
Wakefield, MA

peteboston

o Backbone guys came back list of questions:
1. What are his target sites - i.e. the ones on the west coast that he actually cares about, not the speed test sites?

>> Feel free to write me a direct email for this information. The reality is, everything is equally slow, the speedtests are just the easiest way for me to show this in a manner where you can easily reproduce.

2. Traceroutes from his VZ connection to the speedtest servers.

>> Above.

3. What time of day are the problems, or are the problems particularly acute? Or is it equally good/bad all day?

>> Consistent performance problems w/ RCN - no time of day difference.

4. What does he get on the 'Speed Test Plus' test found on most speedtest.net sites for packet loss, latency, and jitter?

>> Will need to run this test, have not done so.

5. Ditto as above but on Verizon

>> Performance, latency and hops listed above for all of the same sites from VZ connection from same market.

>> The theory on latency doesn't make any sense given that VZ is sometimes 5-10ms greater to these West Coast sites, but there performance blows mine away.