join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to pike

Re: anyone use the NEST thermostat?

said by pike:

If you're going to spend that much on a thermostat, I would recommend the Ecobee instead. It gives the user much finer-grain control over the system, and is compatible with virtually anything. I went with the Ecobee because the Nest didn't include controls for my humidifier.

What do you mean by "finer-grain" control over the system? There are many variables in maintaining stable temperatures in a home and a thermostat is only one part of it.

I'm interested in knowing if you've found a better "mousetrap".

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

A list of features from the ecobee

•Full-colour touchscreen display
•Internet enabled
•Secure online Web Portal for remote management and diagnostics
•Free over-the-air software upgrades
•Lives weather feed
•3H/2C (Conventional)
•4H/2C (Heat Pump)
•365 Day scheduling
•7-day programmable
•Vacation programming
•Auto-changeover
•Humidifier, dehumidifer and ventilator control
•Contractor branded alerts and maintenance reminders
•Free smart phone app
•Built-in WiFi (b/g)
•Humidity Sensing
•Humidity Control
•Downloadable system reports

Now that's a lot of control.
I wonder if you can set multiple temperatures based on humidity levels. For example, if the air is humid, it will be set to cool down a lot more since humid air feels warmer. Then when the humidity level dropped after a couple of hours of running the AC, it adjusts to a slightly higher temperature so people don't feel like it's freezing. I'm not talking about the humidifier/dehumidifer control.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

All that may satisfy those who need a lot of technology whether it's really a necessity or not.

For me all I need is an accurate thermostat that keeps the set temperature I want. I can remember to change the filters once a month but as a backup I have it on my online calender.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by Jack_in_VA:

All that may satisfy those who need a lot of technology whether it's really a necessity or not.

For me all I need is an accurate thermostat that keeps the set temperature I want. I can remember to change the filters once a month but as a backup I have it on my online calender.

Finer-grain =/= necessity

Finer-grain = more details and/or more control

Technically, all we'd NEED is an analog thermostat