join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to sgtux

Premium Member

to sgtux

Re: Terrible Terrible TekSavvy / Bell Story

Sure. I'll answer those questions.

#1 - working on it.

#2 - yeah. it's stupid. It needs to be fixed, maybe on the next revision of the web site *wink* *wink*. Back in the day it led to different queues but that was before the last phone system.

I'm not taking it personally at all. I appreciate everybody talking about it. Maybe some of our perceptions are off.. including mine. Lets find out.

MarcB, from Canadian ISP just send me an export of the reviews so I'll start looking at that. (We collocate and manage his server that hosts that web site)

Marc

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

MarcB, from Canadian ISP just send me an export of the reviews so I'll start looking at that. (We collocate and manage his server that hosts that web site)

... O' got 'em by the short & curlies *wince* lol

Comment
@teksavvy.com

Comment to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
Maybe some of our perceptions are off.. including mine.

And maybe there is some willful 'blindness' (subconscious or otherwise). On the weekend I posted that a Teksavvy rep had not only stated a falsehood (in regard to the location of Bell's demarcation point in multi-unit building), but had maintained it in spite of being offered the correct answer.

I thought it best to allow a full working day for there to be a response.

The silence has been deafening. It is as though the problem simply doesn't exist. (Not just my problem, but the 'problem' that Teksavvy is spouting nonsense to avoid the responsibility to address my problem.)

So, what is my next step? It has been easy to get people to "talk the talk", but so far, it appears no one wants to "walk the walk"....

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Click for full size
excel sheet
Here is what I have.

fair reasons? did I miss anything?

lets agree on this and then we can discuss.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc

Premium Member

sorry, that was meant as a reply to sgtux

Comment
@teksavvy.com

Comment to Comment

Anon

to Comment
"On the weekend I posted that a Teksavvy rep had not only stated a falsehood (in regard to the location of Bell's demarcation point in multi-unit building), but had maintained it in spite of being offered the correct answer.

I thought it best to allow a full working day for there to be a response.

The silence has been deafening. It is as though the problem simply doesn't exist. (Not just my problem, but the 'problem' that Teksavvy is spouting nonsense to avoid the responsibility to address my problem.)

So, what is my next step? It has been easy to get people to "talk the talk", but so far, it appears no one wants to "walk the walk"...."
And now it has been two full business days without any response....

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Could you send me a PM or Post in the Direct forum & I'll see what I can do.

Comment
@teksavvy.com

Comment

Anon

"Could you send me a PM or Post in the Direct forum & I'll see what I can do."

Eh? Were you not the one who called me last Saturday and had a Tech call me on Sunday who proceeded to BS that Bell's demarc was not the primary jack in my apartment? Think I've seen what you "can do"...

I'll send you a PM with my CID, but frankly, the Direct forum is a mechanism to prevent others from seeing the details of any problem, so I'll post them here for all to read.

I have recently moved to a different apartment building (there is a separate horror story of the transfer of my phone and internet, but that is for another day). Unlike my previous building, which had a "Call Forward" intercom system, this building has a "No Subscriber Line" intercom.

(Readers familiar with these types of intercoms and their impact can skip the following which is for those interested.)

A "Call Forward" intercom simply uses a translate table and dials your actual telephone number related to your "buzzer code". (It stays "on the line" to see if you dial the digit to signal the door to be unlocked.) If you want to know whether a call is from the intercom or if someone is buzzing while you are on the phone (or calling while you are on the intercom), YOU have to pay for "call waiting" and "caller ID" on your phone.

However, this system requires that the landlord pays for a telephone line from which the intercom can call you.

Landlords, being a rather greedy bunch, are unhappy with paying this trivial cost and many elect to install an intercom that does not require its own telephone line.

These "No Subscriber Line" intercoms are essentially a collection of switches, (one for each apartment) that are placed on the tenants' phone lines. When the buzzer code is entered, the tenant's phone is switched from the telco to the "phone" in the entryway. OK, it's a bit more complex as this type of intercom does continue to monitor the telco's line, but only for a ring signal. The main advantage of a NSL intercom is that it can provide the "call waiting" (a soft ring tone injected into the voice signal) or "caller ID" (a different ring from the standard) at no cost to the tenant, but if the tenant does not have a land line, s/he must provide a POTS handset to be connected to the intercom.

Because NSL intercoms "switch" the apartment's line from the telco, they break any DSL connection on that line. Often, this is not noticed as the subscriber is distracted by the call from the entryway. Worse, the intercom itself is a unfiltered "voice device" on a DSL line and can cause severe degradation of performance. And some NSL intercoms cannot handle high strength (your modem is not very far away) DSL signals, with the intercom itself malfunctioning.

In this situation, which occurs BEFORE THE DEMARCATION POINT, it is BELL'S RESPONSIBILITY to provide a 'DSL bypass' around the intercom, and if the line is provided through Teksavvy, it is TEKSAVVY'S RESPONSIBILITY to require that Bell provide the bypass.

And ensure that the bypass is complete without loss of tenant's wirepairs. (No loss of wirepairs means the DSL signal is returned to the same wirepair as the voice signal, and complete means both the input and output side of the intercom has DSL filters and the bypass line has a 'voice' filter. Bell may try to shortcut needing to filter the bypass line and intercom output by using up a separate wirepair for the modem when often there is only one spare.)

It's that simple. DSL resellers have Bell do this every day.

Except apparently, Teksavvy.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Hi Comment,

I totally understand what you are saying. As a Bell wholesaler, there is nothing on our part that we need to request for intercoms when submitting an order to Bell. The installer is supposed to leave any existing arrangements/wiring the way they are.

We have hundreds of customers installed daily for DSL service with intercoms and this situation honestly happens in a blue moon. You are not the first case, and you won’t be the last. This is mostly a result of a Bell tech not doing something right; maybe he had a bad day, maybe he was new; maybe he made changes without realizing what he was affecting. The only thing we can do is work hard to get your issue fixed and provide them feedback for them to coach/train out their staff.

Do you have reason to be frustrated? ABSOLUTELY!
Are we trying to get this situation resolved for you WE'RE TRYING!

We've got one of our escalation experts on the phone with Bell Repair management to have a tech sent out to fix what he wasn't supposed to break.

Martin will be getting connecting with you via PM when we get an update from Bell.

Thanks,

Andre
Comment
join:2012-08-16
Mississauga, ON

Comment

said by TSI Andre:

We've got one of our escalation experts on the phone with Bell Repair management to have a tech sent out to fix what he wasn't supposed to break.

Could you please PM me with the circuit identifier.

(Yes, I plan to ask the Bell tech to show me the wire, show me the split in that wire, the DSL filter on the input side of the intercom, the DSL filter on the output side of the intercom, its connection to the split on the apartment line and the 'bypass' line between the two other halves of the splits with a 'voice' (Hi-pass/Lo&DC-Block) in the middle of it.)

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Done!