share rss forum feed

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to danclan

Re: BBC America HD coming?

said by danclan:

you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 1080i and 720p. And for any action movie or sports 720p is a better format due to a variety of reasons.

So rage on about how 1080i is "better" but if you are happy then enjoy as it's new HD content and that always a good thing regardless how they broadcast it.

Whether 1080i or 720p is better than the other is usually in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I find the 720p stations (e.g. ESPN, ABC, Fox in Los Angeles, etc.) to be "softer" than the 1080i stations (e.g. HDNet Movies, CNN, CBS in Los Angeles). This goes for the LA stations when received over the air. Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I won't get in an argument with anybody on which is better because it doesn't really matter. So don't jump on my comment please!

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to danclan

said by danclan:

you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 1080i and 720p. And for any action movie or sports 720p is a better format due to a variety of reasons.

Almost completely false. There is only one scenario in which 720p might provide a legitimate benefit over 1080i, and that is with content produced at greater than 30fps. As of now, that only applies to some sporting events (though granted, Disney and Fox produce all of their sporting events at 60fps, so for them 720p makes sense.)

For all other content, the added detail of 1080i is much more important than the faster framerate of 720p.

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

3 edits
reply to robertf390_t

Well for WHATEVER the reason, I concur, the picture is very clean and enjoyable.

Aside from being 1080i, it is broadcasting at a full 15-18mbps. Most cable channels are 11-13, which absolutely makes a difference. I think that's primary what we're picking up on.

Branden

@verizon.net
reply to robertf390_t

BBCAmerica HD replaced The Olympic 3D channel space, ch 1003, which is then remapped to the more appropriate ch 689 space. ch1003 has been designated "LOOR," Local Organization, however is currently a duplicate of BBCAHD.

I guess Verizon felt felt bad after making us 3D watchers SUFFER through NBC's horrid commercial interruptions which happen about every 5 minutes in either a "break" form or a super-imposed advert of the frackin' Lorax! (You know what I'm talking about!"

Mr Torture

@verizon.net
reply to LeftyGuitar

said by LeftyGuitar:

Of course it's not part of the PRIME, apparently it's only on EXTREME/ULT. argh.............@ least I have it on my D* account. Lookin' forward to their show "COPPER" !

Very disappointed with FIOS. To get this channel I would have to pay another $20/month to upgrade from Prime to Extreme/Ult. package. Why should I have to pay extra for a channel that is available on SD and PACKED with commercials? I hope this isn't going to happen wjen Cartoon Network is rolled out. GREED....

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10

I dont get all the whining about commercials on channels.

Thats what dvrs are for....hello its 2012.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Torture

said by Mr Torture :

Very disappointed with FIOS. To get this channel I would have to pay another $20/month to upgrade from Prime to Extreme/Ult. package. Why should I have to pay extra for a channel that is available on SD and PACKED with commercials? I hope this isn't going to happen wjen Cartoon Network is rolled out. GREED....

BBC America SD has never been in Prime. Verizon didn't change anything.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

said by danclan:

Almost completely false. There is only one scenario in which 720p might provide a legitimate benefit over 1080i, and that is with content produced at greater than 30fps. As of now, that only applies to some sporting events (though granted, Disney and Fox produce all of their sporting events at 60fps, so for them 720p makes sense.)

For all other content, the added detail of 1080i is much more important than the faster framerate of 720p.

Not false at all. There is no ONE scenario in which 720p is better there are many. We can beat this to death but if you like what you see and are happy then it wont matter as only a very small minority of users ever even know what the resolution is of what they are watching or even care.

Between source material and our televisions the image has been manipulated multiple times - compression/conversion and processing by the STB and finally your TV you rarely every get to see true 720p or 1080i images.

Watch a bluray then watch the same show from a major broadcaster and THEN people can really see what they have been missing.

eival

join:2008-07-09

love how they launch it just a day before the new Top Gear series starts.....the wrong Top Gear series

this channel wont be relevant for almost 6 months till the UKs version new season comes around...

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to robertf390_t

Not sure if anyone else saw Copper, but I wasn't very impressed. Given the names involved behind the camera, I thought it would be better. The sets looked great, as did the costumes. However, the lack of authentic accents were plain pathetic. I simply hate that. Including star Tom Weston-Jones, a Brit, speaking with a bland modern American accent? As bad as Gangs of New York was, at least Scorsese got the period accents and language right.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to robertf390_t

Boy, I sure can see why people were clamoring for this channel for so long. 8-to-10 hour blocks of Gordon Ramsey shows and Top Gear repeats, with a Dr. Who or Battlestar Gallactica repeat and one hour of original programming sprinkled throughout. Good Lord.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

said by bsangs:

Boy, I sure can see why people were clamoring for this channel for so long.

Well to be fair, it was better back when I was asking for it. It's been a while.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

bull3964

@stargate.net
reply to robertf390_t

We are in a summer lull between seasons of new shows. Doctor Who will be starting up in a few weeks.

Go take a look at the crap that most of the other cable stations are showing during the day in the summer.

PaCK Fan

join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA
reply to robertf390_t

For those of us new to the whole BBC America and have never watched it before, what is the big deal about the channel?

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PaCK Fan:

For those of us new to the whole BBC America and have never watched it before, what is the big deal about the channel?

See above. That's what I'd like to know.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

Not sure if anyone else saw Copper, but I wasn't very impressed.

Yes, but I can name quite a few great series that have had an inauspicious opening episode.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to robertf390_t

BBC America is not for everyone! Not every channel appeals to everyone! For those of us you love even some of its programming, getting it in HD is tremendous. SD TV channels are horrible viewing.

russty

@nih.gov

The five Six Nations rugby matches in HD alone make it worthwhile to me.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to bull3964

said by bull3964 :

We are in a summer lull between seasons of new shows. Doctor Who will be starting up in a few weeks.

Go take a look at the crap that most of the other cable stations are showing during the day in the summer.

Good point. I'm waiting for L&O UK to come back as well as Verizon adding the HD VOD selections so I can watch the good stuff while Gordon is being Gordon.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Andy from CA:

Good point. I'm waiting for L&O UK to come back

I'd love to see the British spy series "SPOOKS", Which was renamed MI-5 for the States.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

Not sure if anyone else saw Copper, but I wasn't very impressed. Given the names involved behind the camera, I thought it would be better. The sets looked great, as did the costumes. However, the lack of authentic accents were plain pathetic. I simply hate that. Including star Tom Weston-Jones, a Brit, speaking with a bland modern American accent? As bad as Gangs of New York was, at least Scorsese got the period accents and language right.

I was going to check it out but after seeing the lukewarm reviews it got I decided to pass...plus Sunday nights are already filled up with Breaking Bad, True Blood and Falling Skies

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

Verizon claims they will be adding BBC HD VOD Folder soon, so in theory you should be able to catch up...

PaCK Fan

join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA
reply to robertf390_t

Checked it out last night.....what a complete bore of a station. The same show over and over and over? Nobody can claim to like this channel and at the same time diss the .TV crap. Fios wasted HD space on this???

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

said by PaCK Fan:

Checked it out last night.....what a complete bore of a station. The same show over and over and over? Nobody can claim to like this channel and at the same time diss the .TV crap. Fios wasted HD space on this???

Really, which show was it that was shown "over and over"?

BBCA-HD show repeats to the same degree, more or less, as other channels; e.g. Nat-Geo, A&E, History. The .TV channels are crap, BTW, as Verizon has as much said they are not there because they broadcast any decent content. BBCA, OTOH, has shows like Top Gear, Dramaville, Doctor Who, Ministry of Laughs and other original material from Britain. Maybe not to everyone's liking but clearly quality shows.

Don't act silly because you have an axe to grind.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

BBC-A does repeat a fair number of shows, but you also get the BBC version of the show(minus a few minutes since they add commercials...) way before someone in hollywood decides to do the exact same show set in the US......only with worse writing actors or both.....

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nlk10010

said by nlk10010:

said by PaCK Fan:

Really, which show was it that was shown "over and over"?

BBCA-HD show repeats to the same degree, more or less, as other channels; e.g. Nat-Geo, A&E, History. The .TV channels are crap, BTW, as Verizon has as much said they are not there because they broadcast any decent content. BBCA, OTOH, has shows like Top Gear, Dramaville, Doctor Who, Ministry of Laughs and other original material from Britain. Maybe not to everyone's liking but clearly quality shows.

Don't act silly because you have an axe to grind.

They decided to show copper several times. But that is not typical.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

I understand that, but TravelChannel, Bravo, etc. do that sometimes as well; i.e. run the exact same episode of the exact same show two or three times in a row. Exactly what the strategy behind it is I don't know, but the practice is not exclusive to BBCA.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to PaCK Fan

said by PaCK Fan:

It's far better than E! and yet E! gets good ratings, which is why FIOS added them. All about viewership.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to PaCK Fan

We typically watch programs, not channels, so I am not concerned about repeat after repeat. Most shows are recorded. The cable channels, in particular, seem to have a lot more commercials than the broadcast networks.

We enjoyed Copper, but it's probably the only BBC-A show we'll be watching. We also liked Fairly Legal on USA.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to PaCK Fan

said by PaCK Fan:

HUH!?!?!? Sorry but don't agree with you at all.