uniqs
share rss forum feed

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to Greg2600

Re: BBC America HD coming?

said by Greg2600:

Not sure if anyone else saw Copper, but I wasn't very impressed. Given the names involved behind the camera, I thought it would be better. The sets looked great, as did the costumes. However, the lack of authentic accents were plain pathetic. I simply hate that. Including star Tom Weston-Jones, a Brit, speaking with a bland modern American accent? As bad as Gangs of New York was, at least Scorsese got the period accents and language right.

I was going to check it out but after seeing the lukewarm reviews it got I decided to pass...plus Sunday nights are already filled up with Breaking Bad, True Blood and Falling Skies

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

Verizon claims they will be adding BBC HD VOD Folder soon, so in theory you should be able to catch up...

PaCK Fan

join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA
reply to robertf390_t

Checked it out last night.....what a complete bore of a station. The same show over and over and over? Nobody can claim to like this channel and at the same time diss the .TV crap. Fios wasted HD space on this???

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

said by PaCK Fan:

Checked it out last night.....what a complete bore of a station. The same show over and over and over? Nobody can claim to like this channel and at the same time diss the .TV crap. Fios wasted HD space on this???

Really, which show was it that was shown "over and over"?

BBCA-HD show repeats to the same degree, more or less, as other channels; e.g. Nat-Geo, A&E, History. The .TV channels are crap, BTW, as Verizon has as much said they are not there because they broadcast any decent content. BBCA, OTOH, has shows like Top Gear, Dramaville, Doctor Who, Ministry of Laughs and other original material from Britain. Maybe not to everyone's liking but clearly quality shows.

Don't act silly because you have an axe to grind.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

BBC-A does repeat a fair number of shows, but you also get the BBC version of the show(minus a few minutes since they add commercials...) way before someone in hollywood decides to do the exact same show set in the US......only with worse writing actors or both.....

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nlk10010

said by nlk10010:

said by PaCK Fan:

Really, which show was it that was shown "over and over"?

BBCA-HD show repeats to the same degree, more or less, as other channels; e.g. Nat-Geo, A&E, History. The .TV channels are crap, BTW, as Verizon has as much said they are not there because they broadcast any decent content. BBCA, OTOH, has shows like Top Gear, Dramaville, Doctor Who, Ministry of Laughs and other original material from Britain. Maybe not to everyone's liking but clearly quality shows.

Don't act silly because you have an axe to grind.

They decided to show copper several times. But that is not typical.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

I understand that, but TravelChannel, Bravo, etc. do that sometimes as well; i.e. run the exact same episode of the exact same show two or three times in a row. Exactly what the strategy behind it is I don't know, but the practice is not exclusive to BBCA.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to PaCK Fan

said by PaCK Fan:

It's far better than E! and yet E! gets good ratings, which is why FIOS added them. All about viewership.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to PaCK Fan

We typically watch programs, not channels, so I am not concerned about repeat after repeat. Most shows are recorded. The cable channels, in particular, seem to have a lot more commercials than the broadcast networks.

We enjoyed Copper, but it's probably the only BBC-A show we'll be watching. We also liked Fairly Legal on USA.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to PaCK Fan

said by PaCK Fan:

HUH!?!?!? Sorry but don't agree with you at all.

vectorvictor

join:2012-08-21

1 edit
reply to PaCK Fan

said by PaCK Fan:

I'm sorry, but if you truly checked it out last night, then I have to call bull on this post. I can understand if you don't care for the content, but to make sweeping, inaccurate generalizations? Not cool.

Last night had perhaps some of the best episodes that Top Gear has ever ran in HD, including the one where they test whether or not they can drive to the North Pole! I have yet to find someone that doesn't like the original Top Gear--especially their traveling episodes--if they actually give them a chance.

Hardly the same show, over and over, as you contend.

Plus, Copper was pretty decent, and there are other original shows (e.g. Doctor Who, Luther) that are starting up new seasons shortly.

Just because it may not be the straw that stirs your drink, doesn't mean it's garbage. I sure as hell don't care two bits about Lifetime, but I can at least acknowledge that they do have original programming that some may find worthwhile.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to robertf390_t

I get a kick out of threads that are technically no longer valid (aka BBCA-HD is now active) yet they just continue on and on and on...

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by bohratom:

I get a kick out of threads that are technically no longer valid (aka BBCA-HD is now active) yet they just continue on and on and on...

And I get a kick out of the irony of your post .
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to bohratom

is the MSG-HD is coming soon thread still active as well?

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA
reply to lakerfan82

BBC HD VOD folder is now live although quite disorganized...

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

is the MSG-HD is coming soon thread still active as well?

We are waiting for MSG +2 HD!!!
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to vectorvictor

said by vectorvictor:

Plus, Copper was pretty decent, and ....

I'm enjoying Copper very much, but am having trouble deciphering some of the dialog. I don't know whether its authentic early NY accents or differing dialects of (I'm assuming are UK-born) actors, but I found myself unable to figure out the dialog in a few scenes, and that was after raising the volume and replaying them a few times. I know that the Five Points was a melting pot of recent immigrants, and the native-born still had remnants of British accents, but when you combine Irish accents, NY accents, UK accents and (at times) arcane cultural/historical references, its sometimes very hard to figure out WTF they're saying.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by vectorvictor:

Plus, Copper was pretty decent, and ....

said by KCrimson:

I'm enjoying Copper very much, but am having trouble deciphering some of the dialog.

I usually watch all the "British" shows with Closed Captions enabled.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

What a brilliant and simple solution - thanks!

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to lakerfan82

There is no BBC America HD Folder here in VHO 7, as of now.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to MuDvAyNe

(topic move) No MSG+2 HD?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »No MSG+2 HD?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to robertf390_t

Does anyone know which QAM BBCA was put on, and if it shares the QAM with another channel, and if so what that channel is?

Expand your moderator at work

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

Does anyone know which QAM BBCA was put on, and if it shares the QAM with another channel, and if so what that channel is?

it's alone at 279 MHz

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to vectorvictor

said by vectorvictor:

Last night had perhaps some of the best episodes that Top Gear has ever ran in HD, including the one where they test whether or not they can drive to the North Pole! I have yet to find someone that doesn't like the original Top Gear--especially their traveling episodes--if they actually give them a chance.

Hardly the same show, over and over, as you contend.

Plus, Copper was pretty decent, and there are other original shows (e.g. Doctor Who, Luther) that are starting up new seasons shortly

doesn't History Channel also show Top Gear?...so you don't really need BBC-A to watch it

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

said by TitusTroy:

doesn't History Channel also show Top Gear?...so you don't really need BBC-A to watch it

I hope you're kidding!!!! The History version is horrendous. The Brits are much funnier on the original.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to TitusTroy

BBC America has the British version. The History channel has the American version , I believe.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
reply to TitusTroy

2 totally different shows.

TitusTroy

New York, NY
reply to Greg2600

I've never seen the show...I didn't know there were 2 separate versions

celticpride

@verizon.net

Frankly i'm a little surprised how many people seem to like this channel,I will never watch top gear i guess i'm not a car guy ,I recorded copper,i'm willing to watch another episode and give it a chance,but my wife bailed on me halfway through the show. I also watched a couple episodes of DR.WHO ,but i thought it was to silly but i might check it out again when the new season starts,The one show i really liked was LUTHER i set up a season pass fot that one!