how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rantanamo

@verizon.net
reply to dmine45

Re: BBC America HD coming?

Ceton InfiniTV/Media Center seeing it in VHO1. Now where is Cartoon Network?

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to robertf390_t
Noticed very good PQ on 689 last night.

But I will be an unhappy camper if Verizon doesn't deliver the PAC-12 network by mid-September for the first USC football game scheduled.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to robertf390_t
Can we lock this thread now that it's here?

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to Nezmo
BBC America HD Channel 689 is Up and Running in VHO-2 here in Tampa Bay FL.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to aaronwt
MPEG2 ... PTUY ... I Spit on YOU! lol

MPEG-4 for the Win !

And soon-to-be H.265, for the Love of My Life.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by webcobbler :

MPEG2 ... PTUY ... I Spit on YOU! lol

MPEG-4 for the Win !

And soon-to-be H.265, for the Love of My Life.

Aren't they calling it HEVC now?

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
said by aaronwt:

Aren't they calling it HEVC now?

H.264 was also known as AVC. H.xxx is the ITU-T name and AVC, HEVC, etc. is the MPEG name. It's just like IEEE 1394\Firewire\iLink

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
completely OT
said by tennisman94:

xx is the ITU-T name and AVC, HEVC, etc. is the MPEG name. It's just like IEEE 1394\Firewire\iLink

Nominated for "post of the week"
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to johnf2
said by johnf2:

Yes, BBC America HD, a long time coming but it's here!!! As webcobbler said, you can really see the different in picture quality between the two feeds.
This a good entertainment add. A four smile rating!

There are 2 feeds? What resolution are the other cable and satellite providers showing at?
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
He was talking about the difference in BBCA being a 1080i channel vs 720p channel.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bytezboy
said by Bytezboy:

said by johnf2:

Yes, BBC America HD, a long time coming but it's here!!! As webcobbler said, you can really see the different in picture quality between the two feeds.
This a good entertainment add. A four smile rating!

There are 2 feeds? What resolution are the other cable and satellite providers showing at?

What I was talking about was the difference between the SD feed and the newly added HD feed, the PQ difference between them.

thanks icemannyri, your explanation was better than my (too short) commnent

johnf2
--
VHO8

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to billhere
said by billhere:

The picture quality is stunning. Noticeably better than on most other HD channels.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Steely:

said by billhere:

The picture quality is stunning. Noticeably better than on most other HD channels.

Yes, I too would describe the BBC America HD ch 689 PQ as stunning !!!
--
VHO8

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
said by johnf2:

said by Steely:

said by billhere:

Yes, I too would describe the BBC America HD ch 689 PQ as stunning !!!

Is it? I've already seen so much of the content in SD that it naturally looks so much better with the details. I think many of us are seeing that effect. It's not really better than other channels but appears so after watching it in SD for so long.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to robertf390_t
Well they usually show movies in OAR, which is fantastic, except they stuff in 55 commercials, which is dreadful!

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to danclan
said by danclan:

Is it? I've already seen so much of the content in SD that it naturally looks so much better with the details. I think many of us are seeing that effect. It's not really better than other channels but appears so after watching it in SD for so long.

Your theory is good but doesn't hold water in my case. I haven't watched anything on BBC America in years. I just tuned to 689 and was immediately impressed by the way the detail and colors really "popped" off the screen. None of the surrounding HD channels had quite the same effect.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danclan
Actually it is, dancian. It is broadcast at 1080i. a lot of HD channels are 720, and few others are 1080i.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to johnf2
I was referring to that it was 1080i, compared to 720, as a HD channel. 1080 being a better picture quality picture than 720, and 1080. As icemannyr1 correctly thought.

But also, it is def a better quality between SD and HD. As johnf2 said.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to lakerfan82
said by lakerfan82:

Now we just need the HD on demand folder!

From the official announcement. "Verizon also plans to add BBC AMERICA HD to its FiOS TV Video on Demand offering soon."

danclan

Midlothian, VA
you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 1080i and 720p. And for any action movie or sports 720p is a better format due to a variety of reasons.

So rage on about how 1080i is "better" but if you are happy then enjoy as it's new HD content and that always a good thing regardless how they broadcast it.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by danclan:

you would be hard pressed to see any difference between 1080i and 720p. And for any action movie or sports 720p is a better format due to a variety of reasons.

So rage on about how 1080i is "better" but if you are happy then enjoy as it's new HD content and that always a good thing regardless how they broadcast it.

Whether 1080i or 720p is better than the other is usually in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I find the 720p stations (e.g. ESPN, ABC, Fox in Los Angeles, etc.) to be "softer" than the 1080i stations (e.g. HDNet Movies, CNN, CBS in Los Angeles). This goes for the LA stations when received over the air. Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I won't get in an argument with anybody on which is better because it doesn't really matter. So don't jump on my comment please!

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to danclan
said by danclan:

Almost completely false. There is only one scenario in which 720p might provide a legitimate benefit over 1080i, and that is with content produced at greater than 30fps. As of now, that only applies to some sporting events (though granted, Disney and Fox produce all of their sporting events at 60fps, so for them 720p makes sense.)

For all other content, the added detail of 1080i is much more important than the faster framerate of 720p.

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

3 edits
reply to robertf390_t
Well for WHATEVER the reason, I concur, the picture is very clean and enjoyable.

Aside from being 1080i, it is broadcasting at a full 15-18mbps. Most cable channels are 11-13, which absolutely makes a difference. I think that's primary what we're picking up on.

Branden

@verizon.net
reply to robertf390_t
BBCAmerica HD replaced The Olympic 3D channel space, ch 1003, which is then remapped to the more appropriate ch 689 space. ch1003 has been designated "LOOR," Local Organization, however is currently a duplicate of BBCAHD.

I guess Verizon felt felt bad after making us 3D watchers SUFFER through NBC's horrid commercial interruptions which happen about every 5 minutes in either a "break" form or a super-imposed advert of the frackin' Lorax! (You know what I'm talking about!"

Mr Torture

@verizon.net
reply to LeftyGuitar
said by LeftyGuitar:

Of course it's not part of the PRIME, apparently it's only on EXTREME/ULT. argh.............@ least I have it on my D* account. Lookin' forward to their show "COPPER" !

Very disappointed with FIOS. To get this channel I would have to pay another $20/month to upgrade from Prime to Extreme/Ult. package. Why should I have to pay extra for a channel that is available on SD and PACKED with commercials? I hope this isn't going to happen wjen Cartoon Network is rolled out. GREED....

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10
I dont get all the whining about commercials on channels.

Thats what dvrs are for....hello its 2012.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Mr Torture
said by Mr Torture :

Very disappointed with FIOS. To get this channel I would have to pay another $20/month to upgrade from Prime to Extreme/Ult. package. Why should I have to pay extra for a channel that is available on SD and PACKED with commercials? I hope this isn't going to happen wjen Cartoon Network is rolled out. GREED....

BBC America SD has never been in Prime. Verizon didn't change anything.

danclan

Midlothian, VA
reply to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

said by danclan:

Almost completely false. There is only one scenario in which 720p might provide a legitimate benefit over 1080i, and that is with content produced at greater than 30fps. As of now, that only applies to some sporting events (though granted, Disney and Fox produce all of their sporting events at 60fps, so for them 720p makes sense.)

For all other content, the added detail of 1080i is much more important than the faster framerate of 720p.

Not false at all. There is no ONE scenario in which 720p is better there are many. We can beat this to death but if you like what you see and are happy then it wont matter as only a very small minority of users ever even know what the resolution is of what they are watching or even care.

Between source material and our televisions the image has been manipulated multiple times - compression/conversion and processing by the STB and finally your TV you rarely every get to see true 720p or 1080i images.

Watch a bluray then watch the same show from a major broadcaster and THEN people can really see what they have been missing.

eival

join:2008-07-09
love how they launch it just a day before the new Top Gear series starts.....the wrong Top Gear series

this channel wont be relevant for almost 6 months till the UKs version new season comes around...

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to robertf390_t
Not sure if anyone else saw Copper, but I wasn't very impressed. Given the names involved behind the camera, I thought it would be better. The sets looked great, as did the costumes. However, the lack of authentic accents were plain pathetic. I simply hate that. Including star Tom Weston-Jones, a Brit, speaking with a bland modern American accent? As bad as Gangs of New York was, at least Scorsese got the period accents and language right.