Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271

said by Name Game:

Google chrome reworks it..and gives it their own number.

»forums.techguy.org/virus ··· l-3.html

That link says nothing about google reworking it and giving it their own number.

The adobe number reflected SHOULD be the number that Chrome has already been assigned. Otherwise it is useless to be there to begin with.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Never happen..and it will never be the same number since they rework it and it is in a sandbox..this is by agreement with the vendor and as i recall they pay for using it..but not sure on that point. Even had different files names

Note: The integrated Flash Player in Chrome has a different file name than the system plug-in. When you enable or disable plug-ins, ensure that you have identified the correct plug-in.

»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ome.html

Google Chrome Puts Sandbox Protection To Adobe Flash Player On Windows
»www.techno360.in/google- ··· u-safer/

»groups.google.com/forum/ ··· B1-25%5D

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
For lay people that are instructed to install the software without the Bell & Whistles, Mele20 See Profile the link posted at the top of this thread is my go-to link and has not failed me yet

I would not qualify the link as trash. It works. That's what matters.

Update as you choose and let others decide as they choose.

Simple enough.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

..and a good link it is for any user to start out with no matter what browser they are running since it will tell you what to do next ,if you need it and what version you currently have.

In the case of google chrome one will get this message...

Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available.

Do you have a different operating system or browser?

To learn more about the enhanced support for Flash Player in Chrome, including information for developers, see this TechNote.

Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

But that link is trash. It wants to install McAfee!! Do you and siljane have some deal going with McAfee?

How can either of you claim that link is the one that "lay people that are instructed to install the software without the Bell & Whistles" should choose? The link I suggested, and that is in the other thread in this forum about Flash install, does NOT want to install any crap on your computer. It is the one that lay users that fit YOUR description should use, not the link you persist in foisting on users every time Adobe has a Flash update and then we end up with a second thread with the best link that doesn't try to fool users into installing McAfee or whatever garbage Adobe is pushing that month.

The better link simply lets you install Flash Player with nothing to confuse or mislead anyone like your link does. For users that are totally ignorant about computers, Flash update should be on automatic and you should not be giving them a link to any download page because it updates automatically (that auto update is not ideal but better than the totally ignorant user ending up with two antivirus programs conflicting and not knowing what to do)!

When you post here, you are posting for users who have some knowledge about computers but they can get distracted by the link you keep giving and accidentally install garbage along with Flash update so why give them that bad link? If that link had OPT IN to get the garbage (such as McAfee) also installed that would be ok but Adobe has deliberately made that OPT OUT in the hopes of ensnaring folks who are distracted and not paying enough attention to see that they need to uncheck that box. I don't believe Adobe should be rewarded for this despicable behavior. The clean link is what you should link to unless you are benefiting somehow from giving a crap link that Adobe hopes to fool users with.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I always check those Adobe instalers (and installers in general) for the other apps that are offered and uncheck them. Don't users here always do that regardless of the link offered in a post? That said, I am using an older version of Flash now because the newer ones don't work right on my system. So, I'll have to take my chances, but I'm pretty careful.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Never happen..and it will never be the same number since they rework it and it is in a sandbox..this is by agreement with the vendor and as i recall they pay for using it..but not sure on that point. Even had different files names

Note: The integrated Flash Player in Chrome has a different file name than the system plug-in. When you enable or disable plug-ins, ensure that you have identified the correct plug-in.

Google Chrome Puts Sandbox Protection To Adobe Flash Player On Windows
»www.techno360.in/google- ··· u-safer/

»groups.google.com/forum/ ··· B1-25%5D

Then what exactly is the point of Adobe putting a number on their page showing what the current version is supposed to be if it doesn't match the version of Chrome that you are running and it is some imaginary internal number that the user wouldn't know? My comment has nothing to do with plug-ins. Talking strictly latest Chrome browser with built-in adobe. If the adobe page says "x" is the latest version of "x" then it should match what I'm using. Otherwise the info is totally useless.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Let's back up here..if you are really running google chrome and go to this page

»get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

It will not even tell you versions or numbers..it will tell you only..

"Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available.

To learn more about the enhanced support for Flash Player in Chrome, including information for developers, see this TechNote."

And nothing else..so game over..you do not have to do anything or worry about version numbers.

It detects you have google chrome...so are you telling me you also run other browser than google chrome ? If that is the case then go to that site running that browser and get updated for it.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by Mele20:

This is the clean link from the other thread.
»www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html

said by siljaline:

For lay people that are instructed to install the software without the Bell & Whistles, Mele20 See Profile the link posted at the top of this thread is my go-to link and has not failed me yet

I would not qualify the link as trash. It works. That's what matters.

Update as you choose and let others decide as they choose.

Simple enough.

While I agree with both of you to a certain extent, depending on the circumstances, seriously, siljaline See Profile. I think you'd be a lot happier with Mele's link in the future. No extra crap you have to avoid, and works flawlessly. I use that link exclusively for Flash.
(BTW, these are the same .exe installers I sometimes get from FileHippo, which are at times available there even before they are on the link Mele provided, amazingly).
I'm not saying it's not best to go directly to the vendors site, but I have no problem getting them from FileHippo either in this case. (One of the few sites site I happen to trust completely for downloads).
But Mele's link is my 'go-to' place for Flash for sure, and has been for quite a while.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game

Premium Member

I disagree for the following reasons.

1.We are today talking about this update need...

Release date: August 14, 2012

Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-18

»www.adobe.com/support/se ··· -18.html

2.this was the previous update need before that one..

Release date: June 8, 2012
Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-14
For users who cannot update to Flash Player 11.3.300.257, Adobe has developed a patched version of Flash Player 10.x, Flash Player 10.3.183.20, which can be downloaded here.

»www.adobe.com/support/se ··· -14.html

As you see that one also gives you info on a version called 10.3.183.20.

Now if a user went to the link Mele20 suggested they would see two versions for users with Windows and Internet Explorer.

They are...

Flash Player 11.3.300.271

For Windows and Internet Explorer

and

Flash Player 10.3.183.20

For Windows and Internet Explorer

»www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html

So just going to the link directly...which one should they install.

I realize the newer one should be obvious...but think on that particular page they should have added info as to why 10.3.183.20 was still offered...because there is no mention of it at all at the link for Release date: August 14, 2012

Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-18
»www.adobe.com/support/se ··· -18.html

Then I will tell you that some people who have Windows and Internet Explorer and even try to install 11.3.300.271..it will not work...so guess what they should do ?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

3 edits

1 recommendation

jabarnut

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

..so guess what they should do ?

Punt?

All kidding aside, I see where you're coming from. Some people can get easily confused. (Hell, I'm easily confused).
But certainly for most who hang out around here, they know what they're looking for...(including siljaline, I'm sure).
But hey, as long as your boat continues to float, all should be well.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

No..wait for half time and call in the old guys

10.3.183.20 is the latest version for IE 6 SP1 and the last version

I am surprise adobe even renders their site for IE6..and thought someone told me last week they could not get there with IE6 and had to installed another client browser.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

I am surprise adobe even renders their site for IE6..and thought someone told me last week they could not get there with IE6 and had to installed another client browser.

They do that strictly for 19579823 See Profile.
He has special privileges when it comes to IE 6.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 - Uninstalling old version ?

Thank you for notifying us.

I just noticed new instructions for the Uninstaller about deleting Flash files. I have always just ran the uninstaller and rebooted. How necessary is it to delete these files? Here's part of the instructions:

"Delete Flash Player files and folders.

Click Start > Run.

Copy and paste the following and click OK.
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

Delete all the files in this folder.

Follow step 1 to step 3 for the following:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
%appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player"

Sincerely, Libra

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271

said by jabarnut:

said by Name Game:

They do that strictly for 19579823 See Profile.
He has special privileges when it comes to IE 6.

good..have to look out for our buddies.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

kickass69 to Name Game

to Name Game
There's still plenty of people using 10.3.183.20 because of all the screw ups Adobe has been releasing since they started sandboxing and who knows what other 'tweaks' with Flash 11.3.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
I secretly do, for myself, for others that are clueless as to what an EXE or MSI are, I just give instructions to avoid all third party offerings.
It's not that complicated. I really don't see what the huge debate is on a go-to link.
It is not the default, so I can't tell a client to go there, necessarily.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

1 edit

1 recommendation

jabarnut

Premium Member

Hey, I understand completely. And if you're happy, then I'm happy.
Really no huge debate here on my end, just personal opinions that can easily be dismissed. Just ask my wife...she never listens to a damn thing I say. (And to be honest, I don't really blame her a whole lot, after the amazing number of years she's had to listen to me).

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

Totally understand, jabarnut See Profile sharing some pointy-stick
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 edit

EdmundGerber to Mele20

to Mele20
fuck it
dsilvers
join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

dsilvers to siljaline

to siljaline
Click for full size
Flash .271 breaks when run sandboxed in Firefox 14.0.1. Runs fine when not sandboxed.

Found a solution here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?

To disable Protected Mode, add the following line to your mms.cfg file located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash
Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

ProtectedMode=0

Protected mode changes permissions for flash and since I sandbox my internet facing applications I don't require it.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

There's still plenty of people using 10.3.183.20 because of all the screw ups Adobe has been releasing since they started sandboxing and who knows other 'tweaks' with Flash 11.3.

And old/unsupported OSes like Mac OS X 10.5.8 and W2K SP4.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

But that link is trash. It wants to install McAfee!! Do you and siljane have some deal going with McAfee?

Yes, selling trash gets big bucks. Ya'll should try it.
siljaline

siljaline to dsilvers

Premium Member

to dsilvers
Thank you for reporting this, dsilvers See Profile

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Let's back up here..if you are really running google chrome and go to this page

»get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

It will not even tell you versions or numbers..it will tell you only..

"Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available.

To learn more about the enhanced support for Flash Player in Chrome, including information for developers, see this TechNote."

And nothing else..so game over..you do not have to do anything or worry about version numbers.

It detects you have google chrome...so are you telling me you also run other browser than google chrome ? If that is the case then go to that site running that browser and get updated for it.

I am talking about this page here:
»www.adobe.com/software/f ··· h/about/

Adobe gives the latest version of their software; by browser & by OS.

It VERY CLEARLY SAYS that the latest version of flash for Chrome on Windows is 11.3.300.265. At the top for version info: You have version 11,3,31,227 installed.

I have the absolute latest version of Chrome installed (21.0.1180.79 m) and it is not matching what Adobe says should be the latest version.

If what you say is true about internal numbers, then that page is totally useless since it does not accurately reflect the actual Chrome version number that I as a user would see. Where in Chrome do you see this "internal" version number?

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game

Premium Member

Chrome is not Google Chrome...it's the other version with less fat.

see here for last aug 8 downloads

»forums.adobe.com/message/4612582

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

And old/unsupported OSes like Mac OS X 10.5.8 and W2K SP4.

Hey, I have an 11yr-old Win2K-SP4 box! I have Flash 11.1.102.63 (last version to install on Win2K) on it but to be honest I don't browse on it much. Mostly a backup machine these days. That said it works fine although a bit slow.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Yup version to download for Win2k

»www.oldapps.com/flash_pl ··· ows_2000

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well Adobe says Flash 10.x was the last to work on Win2K but 11.1.102.63 does install and operate

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 - Uninstalling old version ?

Sorry if I looked over your post in this now rather long thread, Libra See Profile

If you feel compelled to do a fresh install, the instructions would be Here

Keep us posted.