share rss forum feed

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Mele20

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271

said by Mele20:

But what does that have to do with my wondering why that link you gave says Flash Player in Google Chrome is "non-free"? How can that be when Google Chrome is free? It doesn't make any sense.

Okay, possibly this link will enlighten you to why it was a cost:
»fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

What the ...is wrong the forum software? It won't let me edit so that Name Game appears correctly. It ignores the edit...I did 4 times and it just ignores it.

I've noticed that too, but at the time is was via a web filter proxy at work, the javascript was all screwed and froze, then worked then froze....I was loosing the normal responses I have grown used to. But as it was via proxy, who knows, script corrupting somehow?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

Yeah, I get that GuruGuy See Profile is frustrated because Name Game is being loose with his words...he means Chromium when he says "Chrome". But what does that have to do with my wondering why that link you gave says Flash Player in Google Chrome is "non-free"? How can that be when Google Chrome is free? It doesn't make any sense.

What the ...is wrong the forum software? It won't let me edit so that Name Game appears correctly. It ignores the edit...I did 4 times and it just ignores it.

I did not mean chromium.. I meant chrome and it is the one in the beta channel where they explain you can neuter out the "pepper flash" that google chrome has in the sandbox by deleting it (just go to chrome://plugins and disable Flash (2 files) - Version: 11.3.31.227 and Shockwave Flash 11.3 r31) The you go back to Adobe and it will not find the 11.3.31.227 so you can install the other one they have there which will not be working in the sandbox. It is low fat cause that then can be use with other browsers you might have installed like IE..but is stupid to do because pepper flash works great and in a sandbox for added protection to the user. You have then change it from the standard addition of Google Chrome..I hesitated to tell Guruguy all that..but if one want to be persistent on just how messed up and confusing the Adobe site is to all browser users...have at it..I certainly agree which is why I posted earlier I live without any adobe products.. As you see I also added a smiley.

Then if you really do that..you can run around with your head cut off like others are doing each time to update their flash thingie manually..and trying to figure out why it does not work or what version do I need..which give us these great long threads on each adobe flash update announcements ...Go figure.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to jabarnut
I kind of like this link for testing Flash.
»www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
Lets you know what version you have installed, as compared to the latest versions for Windows, Mac, Chrome, Linux, etc.

(Why did I reply to myself? I didn't really need to know this).

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Click for full size
It's the link I already suggested people use first to start out the "process" and at that link I can also block the advertisment that adobe has to smack you in the face.

faceillusion

join:2009-12-12
australia

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline
Click for full size
Click for full size
Got this current version installed after what seemed a convoluted path compared to previous updates for Flash Player.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
You are not alone on the action list not found

»www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1C2CHN···&bih=746

Most common reason seemed to be..Possibly you have tried to download and install the FlashPlayer version intended for Internet Explorer, instead of the plugin for Firefox. (See related thread /questions/859758#answer-228076 When trying to update Adobe Flash Player, message says no ActionList found. )

»support.mozilla.org/en-US/questi···r-228076

But have also seem similar error when some used the msi instead of the exe.

faceillusion

australia

1 recommendation

I was installing in Opera ... so made sure I didn't tick "Yes, install Google Chrome - optional" - [URL=http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/][/URL]

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for posting..will put it in the things to remember to help others.

faceillusion

australia
Click for full size
You're welcome ...BTW, I just updated my IE6 to v11.3.300.265

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit

1 recommendation

It's scary to still see some people using IE6.
I'd continue to use it even today if I thought it complied with standards and was secure. But it's neither of those things.
EDIT: Oh... and no tabs!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to faceillusion
Cheers for this, faceillusion See Profile

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

It's scary to still see some people using IE6.
I'd continue to use it even today if I thought it complied with standards and was secure. But it's neither of those things.
EDIT: Oh... and no tabs!

I agree. I don't generally use IE anyway (mostly Opera), but even the latest versions of IE has tabs. To me, tabs are one of the greatest things since sliced bread....don't know how I'd live without them at this point.
How Dude111 See Profile survives without tabs in this day and age, is beyond anything I can even begin to understand.
(Oops...sorry, That's probably best said in another thread)
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to siljaline

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 - Uninstalling old version ?

Hi Randy,

I wasn't sure if I responded to your post. When I tried to delete the files I think I copied the file path wrong, because I got a message from Windows says it was the wrong syntax or something like that.

I ended up using the Adobe Uninstaller on all three computers, not deleting any files, rebooting the computers and then installing the latest Flash version. It seemed to go well.

I just checked (in Vista) Windows/system32/macromed/Flash and everything in there shows the latest version of Flash and the date is 8/16/12. The actual macromed folder is last modified 2/12 and date created was 2009.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Hi Libra,

Manually deleting files via Windows explorer is a bit of a slippery slope if you are not careful, glad the end result was positive.

If you feel compelled to fully uninstall Adobe to do a fresh install, you should use the Adobe utility

Libra
Premium
USA
Do you just install "over the top"?

btw, that's where I got the uninstall utility and those instructions to use "run" to find and delete those files. I don't remember that in the past (unless I just ignored it).

Sincerely, Libra
Expand your moderator at work

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to Libra

I install over-top unless there are issues of which I have encounted none of the many Flash releases of late.
Expand your moderator at work

Libra
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

Thank you. Maybe I will start installing "over the top". I imagine if there were a problem I'd have to use the uninstaller and delete those files I'm not comfortable deleting anyway.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Your welcome Libra See Profile I've never felt compelled to do much fussing with Adobe Flash.

Over the years, despite all the issues, I have had few as have my cohorts in the security community. Though we all like to bash Adobe for announcing not at all or on Patch Tuesdays.

I just bang over-top less the fluff, make sure nothing's been changed to my system and sit and wait for the next one to come along.

Regards,

Silj

Libra
Premium
USA
Thank you, that's encouraging.

Sincerely, Libra

siljaline
Premium