Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to xCalx

Re: [Home Network] How do I maximize my modems potential?

said by xCalx :

Thanks I'll try that IP Passthrough "thingy." I assume I need a static ip address assigned to the PS3 for this function to work properly?

I haven't done that in a while, so my memory is a bit hazy. However, my recollection is that you need to use DHCP on the device that is getting the IP Passthrough (and that will assign the public IP address to the IP Passthrough device, so I suspect that if that device had a private static IP address assigned, IP Passthrough would not work properly).

The 3347 uses the attached device's MAC address instead of an IP address, and if my memory serves me, you should be able to either select your Playstation from a drop-down menu, or inter its MAC address manually. Sorry that I can't provide any more specific instructions, but the only 3347 routers that I currently have access to belong to clients, and I can't take a chance on knocking one of them off-line by doing more than checking the initial steps for setting up IP Passthrough.

IP Passthrough, when you get it setup, will totally eliminate NAT to your Playstation, and will also eliminate any need for UPnP or port forwarding (since both of those functions are related to NAT). The only other thing you might need to do is to setup the 3347 firewall to "Clear Sailing", but if you are already forwarding ports, that has probably already been done.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

yesse

join:2004-05-09
Debary, FL

said by NetFixer:

The 3347 uses the attached device's MAC address instead of an IP address, and if my memory serves me, you should be able to either select your Playstation from a drop-down menu, or inter its MAC address manually.
[att=1]

I had to derive the PS3 MAC address from the DHCP server lease table in the Troublshooting|System Status section of the 3347 before setting up IP Pass-through. Enter it manually and you should be all set. Oh yeah,.. don't use WIFI if you don't have..hard wire from router to console if feasible.

xCalx

@algx.net
reply to NetFixer

One last thing. I've tried to research the IP Passthrough as much as possible before I make the change to the router. If I understand correctly, the firewall is being disabled completely to the IP Passthrough device. Which is ok if I'm just playing games, however, if I was to surf the net using the PS3 web browser or buy something from the playstation network store won't the PS3 be completely unprotected? And what if I add other devices to the network?

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

said by xCalx :

One last thing. I've tried to research the IP Passthrough as much as possible before I make the change to the router. If I understand correctly, the firewall is being disabled completely to the IP Passthrough device. Which is ok if I'm just playing games, however, if I was to surf the net using the PS3 web browser or buy something from the playstation network store won't the PS3 be completely unprotected? And what if I add other devices to the network?

I think that your are the only gamer I have ever communicated with who was concerned about (or even aware of) possible security problems.

The IP Passthrough mode does indeed bypass the firewall for the device setup to get the public IP address (that is the whole point of using IP Passthrough). My own past usage of IP Passthrough (for myself and for clients) was to either connect to a server (with its own internal firewall), or to another router (also with its own internal firewall). I don't know what kind of firewall (if any) is built into the Playstation. I do know that a lot of game console users do use IP Passthrough (or its equivalent in other modem/router boxes), or put their "modem" into bridge mode (and do PPPoE authentication in the console if PPPoE is required) in order to bypass both NAT and external firewalls.

However, the basic NAT firewall is still active for any other devices that are connected to the 3347 (either via Ethernet or WiFi).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

xCalx

@bellsouth.net

Thanks NetFixer; Your tutelage increased my connection speed to 765 download and 108 upload ... not bad considering I'm only paying for 756k dsl lite.

treyatl2006

join:2012-01-26
Atlanta, GA

Good luck on gaming with that connection. UpNp is only needed if you want to create a media server on your computer so that it can stream music, videos, and pictures to your ps3. The most important thing is the fact that you have a NAT 1 connection.

If you are really concerned with security, I would buy a good router, put the Motorola 3347 into bridgemode and then allow the new router to handle security and firewall concerns. That way you can open up the neccessary ports and not have to worry about any possible security attacks.

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

I have a couple of 3347's around and from time to time try one to replace my 2210...which hasn't failed since the bad ones were culled out years ago.
I am not a gamer but use VOIP as my only phone service along with having my ATA behind my router with NAT.
I tried every type of connection with the 3347 in bridged mode but never improved what I have now...6 meg down service that actually nets about 5.80.
I have the router send VOIP to the ATA with a fixed IP while forwarding the ports. In the past, the only reliable way to guarantee VOIP was to disable the SPI and SIP ALG. I was never convinced that the so-called router firewall did anything. The routers function really only routes correctly to each computer. That's why I always have a software firewall also engaged.
Does anyone have a similar setup and have they found a way to improve what I am getting?
ATT DSL Southeast..