join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to SusanBradley

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 14, 2012

said by SusanBradley:

Got word it should be fixed up now and should not reoffer over and over again.

Good. I also don't see it as well. Aren't we having fun?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

said by antdude:

said by SusanBradley:

Got word it should be fixed up now and should not reoffer over and over again.

Good. I also don't see it as well. Aren't we having fun?

The happiness has hit the fan... all thanks to Microsoft.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

2 recommendations

said by Dustyn:

The happiness has hit the fan... all thanks to Microsoft.

Hey, now let's not forget to thank Adobe as well. I mean, the Microsoft updates wouldn't be nearly as much fun these days, if we weren't updating Adobe 'stuff' at the same time.
I feel like I've died and gone to update heaven. (Or hell, whichever comes first).
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

Now where's my cup of Java!
I was sorta half expecting an Oracle update today too.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

Yeah, bring 'em on! (He said, while gently banging his head against the wall).
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

said by jabarnut:

I think some of you folks out there who get fired up about the relentless tirade of updates, secretly enjoy the process of installing them and being up to date... even if it is a patch Tuesday.
Of all people to get a patch right, it would HAVE to be Adobe, right? lol I'd say they have just as much experience as Microsoft does if not more so what with their tiresome Flash player updates.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit

2 recommendations

Oh, don't get me wrong. To be honest, with all of my ranting (sorry folks), this is really the only reason I even bother living.
(Ok, I promise I'm done now...carry on).

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to dp

According to the latest MS forum replies, this reoffer should be gone -- "The associated offering logic has been revised and should no longer continue re-offering."

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to dp

Ready, set, patch! Microsoft releases nine security updates for multiple products
This month's patch load: Nine bulletins, 5 of which are critical, that address 27 vulnerabilities.

»blogs.csoonline.com/network-secu···products

Good breakdown of the patches and some added info you might like to read from the experts.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

Well... looks like I got my wish...
Java 7 Update 6
»www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/···588.html
»www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/···681.html
--

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

( )

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to dp

Where is the update for the windows sidebar?
Or are we supposed to disable it indefinitely?

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits

Guess you did this ?
»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07···gadgets/

I say BS.. I even have fixit on the sidebar.

»www.ghacks.net/2009/04/20/micros···-gadget/

Redmond issued this advisory ahead of an upcoming Black Hat presentation by Mickey Shkatov and Toby Kohlenberg. The two have promised to reveal “interesting attack vectors” in a presentation called “We Have You By The Gadgets”.

Microsoft hasn’t provided any further information about the vulnerability, other than to say that users could install insecure Gadgets that enable remote code execution.

“Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access your computer’s files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time,” Microsoft notes.

Since Gadgets run with the rights of the current user, the vulnerability could allow exploits all the way up to administrative level.

The Microsoft fix disables the Windows Sidebar and Gadgets on all supported Vista and Windows 7 editions.

The unloved Sidebar feature for Gadgets was killed off in Windows 8, as was the Windows Live Gallery used to access Gadgets from the desktop.

»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/11···crosoft/

»isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=13651

So read this and decide for yourself
We have you by the gadgets
»media.blackhat.com/bh-us-12/Brie···s_WP.pdf

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by Name Game:

Guess you did this ?
»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07···gadgets/

I say BS.. I even have fixit on the sidebar.

»www.ghacks.net/2009/04/20/micros···-gadget/

Redmond issued this advisory ahead of an upcoming Black Hat presentation by Mickey Shkatov and Toby Kohlenberg. The two have promised to reveal “interesting attack vectors” in a presentation called “We Have You By The Gadgets”.

Microsoft hasn’t provided any further information about the vulnerability, other than to say that users could install insecure Gadgets that enable remote code execution.

“Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access your computer’s files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time,” Microsoft notes.

Since Gadgets run with the rights of the current user, the vulnerability could allow exploits all the way up to administrative level.

The Microsoft fix disables the Windows Sidebar and Gadgets on all supported Vista and Windows 7 editions.

The unloved Sidebar feature for Gadgets was killed off in Windows 8, as was the Windows Live Gallery used to access Gadgets from the desktop.

»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/11···crosoft/

»isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=13651

So read this and decide for yourself
We have you by the gadgets
»media.blackhat.com/bh-us-12/Brie···s_WP.pdf

I still use the gadgets.
I think its total bulls^^t that I have to disable a part of windows I like and paid alot of money for.
I wouldn't buy Windows 7 again if I knew the sidebar was broken and not to use it.
If I buy a car and they rip out the AC instead of fixing it I'd be pissed.

Sorry to rant on this thread but this is just lame.

I think Windows is dead.
You can't even get proper drivers anymore they are all generic crap from 2006.
You buy windows 7 and expect to get fixes and updates and before you do they just drop the ball and release a new OS?

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Hang in there buddie..you took the words out of my mouth too.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to Cartel

Yup.
Not only do they take away and remove things from Windows, but they also fail to fulfill their commitments to their customers.
Remember Windows Ultimate Extras? I'm still waiting!! I would prefer it if Microsoft does not release a patch through Windows Update to disable sidebar. The fix it article is sufficient enough.
If a patch becomes available... it will be DENIED on this system.
--

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dp

I did Windows Updates on two Windows 7 64bit computers without any problems.

I did Windows Updates on my Vista 32bit sp2 computer (it tooks updates for MS Office 2010, Vista and MS Office 2007). It said the updates installed successfully and instructed to reboot computer...which I did.

When the sign on screen finally appeared and I clicked on a standard user it said "preparing your desktop"...then said Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.dll could not be initialized. A message also said I was logged into a temporary profile.

I was very afraid to go into my admin account, in case the same thing would happen. I was debating on going to Last Known Good Configuration, but instead went into the Event Viewer. I found a message that Windows had saved my profile and would try to load it next time I logged into it. I think it also said something else had been using my profile.

I rebooted the computer and am happy to say I got back into my own account. I have no idea of what brought that on.

Sincerely, Libra