spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

micwa

join:2009-01-13
Seminary, MS

Exede: Late night free zone - A reality!

Copy and paste the links below (do not click)

»help.wildblue.net/care/article/4810

»help.wildblue.net/care/article/5190

So now what do the HN users say they got that Exede doesn't?

Seriously, I am very happy about this. Good to know ViaSat listens to us customers.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Interesting. Especially since Hughesnet is rumored to have done away with their free period on Gen4.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to micwa

said by micwa:

So now what do the HN users say they got that Exede doesn't?

I say that it's reasonably conclusive proof that Doctor Strange is dead wrong when he tries to convince us that ViaSat leads and Hughes follows

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

admin1234

@myvzw.com

I can't Believe anyone listen to DR anyways. watch his post he go's off topic all time. Or when he post he seems a little off.

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to micwa

I just ignore his posts as nothing is usually added of value to the discussion.

This could definitely be a postive step for Viasat. But is it true? No official announcement has been made about this and Viasat moderators have been strangely quiet!

BasilAR
WildBlue

join:2006-07-20
Parks, AR

Someone on Exede can try it out tonight and report back.
--
WildBlue - Beam 35 - value

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to OldSatUser

It is posted on Wildblue's Knowledge Base and on Exede's Internet site which elevates it well above roomer.

Exede Late Night Free Zone

quote:
100% FREE data usage from 12 midnight – 5 a.m. every night (per your local time zone).

Both DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD usage are free.

Speeds restored each night. If you have already used up your Data Allowance for the month, you can still use the Late Night Free Zone at the normal speed.
There is a caveat for customers who acquired service through NRTC and Dish Network:

quote:
Q: I purchased Exede through DISH or my local telephone company (NRTC). Do I get Late Night Free Zone?

A: If you receive your monthly bill from ViaSat (provider of Exede), you get this feature. If you receive your monthly invoice from another provider, please contact them directly to determine if this feature is currently available.

stinkyboots

@wildblue.net
reply to micwa

Cautiously optimistic, although the speed is poor on Exede in this area, it's better than it was, more consistent.

Waiting for the announcement, if it's Exede12 only, etc., doesn't look that way from the documents. Also, if it's only temporary. I guess I am still stung from when Wildblue started, who's to say they won't double the latency again and lower the caps.

micwa

Seminary, MS
reply to Spice300

Dish told one user on WB World to "check back in a couple of days".

micwa

Seminary, MS

Oh and the Data Allowance Policy enforcement has begun today.

mwkessler
Wildblue

join:2003-10-24
Harrington, DE
reply to stinkyboots

Several people on this forum and Exede led me to believe I was the only person in the country that was having speed issues. I get on average 4mbs down and 756 to 1024 up...
--
Wildblue Exede 12/5 15gb cap. The worst ISP on the face of earth. I also have a account with Millenicom, to back up my unreliable Wildblue connection.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to Spice300

Three moderators on the Viasat board and not one can confirm or deny it though? Nothing announced on their Facebook page. No "official" announcement from Viasat either.

Very strange on how this is coming down. I would think a change in data monitoring this significant would be communicated to every customer.

stinkyboots

@wildblue.net
reply to mwkessler

said by mwkessler:

Several people on this forum and Exede led me to believe I was the only person in the country that was having speed issues. I get on average 4mbs down and 756 to 1024 up...

It was very inconsistent for some time, one neighbor had it removed after a couple months. The last couple years I was saying wait for this, a few upgraded without talking to me. I got my rear end chewed by a few people, of course they could have spoken to me again before they ordered. Download speeds, test sites, large file downloads from fast sites, were less than two meg, sporadic, but not more than that, it would go up and down. They wanted to watch the online cattle auctions, didn't work, very jerky, cutting out. It worked on old Wildblue. A few different installs by a couple different installers, the problem was not on this end, unless they were doing the same thing wrong. All numbers/signal were good and I checked the dishes, etc., everything looked good to me. Last time I checked a couple weeks ago it a hair over 2 meg sometimes, sometimes rarely a hair over 3. Page to page browsing, I was still not impressed, and neither were the people that had it, but it was functioning. I'm recalling the way it was when Wildblue was new, and that's about what it looks like (in other words, I wish they would just turn "my" latency back to 6 years ago). Maybe if the caps are turned on it will improve.

Still waiting on old Wildblue. Verizon put in a tower so I can get 1 bar of 3G in the house, so Millenicom is now an option (I don't care about super speed). Few will be on that tower, plus the line running to it is owned by the phone company in the village, and they are upgrading it. Of course they are using the resources they were going to use to upgrade us to DSL out here, so of course that is delayed for years, maybe canceled (according to them). Low pings are good, 20 Gig cap is good enough, but being able to download updates to Linux, movies, etc. without caps is also nice. Hughesnet will probably be similar in their upgrade here, if they do it, since the new satellite doesn't cover here either of course.

stinkyboots

@wildblue.net
reply to micwa

Forgot to add, speeds I mentioned were not tested at primetime. Those were morning, noon, afternoon.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to micwa

Certainly peaks my interest, this was one of my main reasons that I preferred Hughes over WB when I got my service. I still prefer the daily plans, but this sure sets to stir things up a bit.

Still waiting on a official announcement for Hughes Gen4 pricing / FAP / etc.

But this defiantly makes Exede/WB look a lot better than they did previously.

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state

2 edits

Maybe Exede has got wind of the true HughesNets plans and are attempting to take the wind out of there sail's?

Or, could it be the trouble Exede is in with download speeds only being around %17 of there claimed speed during the time majority of the users use the service?

Glad McDonalds doesnt work this way ... 12:00pm lunch time......Instead of a 1/4 Pounder they give you a 1/20th of a Pounder ...and a fry. Maybe that's how they operate in Ethiopia.

marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI
reply to micwa

I called Dish Network and the tech was unaware of »www.exede.com/exede-customers/la···ree-zone nothing has been said to him.

Dropped from the 15GB package to 10GB their lowest plan for $52 (tax), last month used 3.4GB so makes sense to save $30.

Yep, Dish Network meter counts down so they are not following WB yet

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to micwa

marsh you already have other internet sources...so why would you need that bigger Exede plan

I still would like an "official" announcement from Viasat on this. A webpage is still just a webpage. Seems strange there wouldn't be a press release or something as this is a big marketing move for them.

marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

said by OldSatUser:

marsh you already have other internet sources...so why would you need that bigger Exede plan

Hi OldSatUser
Sometimes I wonder why myself other than the web/
internet is my entertainment. No wife/job or other distractions.

Now I did drop to Exede lowest basic plan 10GB/12Mb/s $52 gives me that fast response 12-17Mb/s is common, ping 700ms Magic Jack is better than a C phone delay.

9000 HN free zone 1am-6am cst has the advantage of big downloads, 1Mb/s plan off the congestion hours usually 2-3Mb/s, congestion hours near 1Mb/s.

Ouch 3G WiFi router allows me to go mobile (seldom do) with heavy storms is no problem.
$42 was 50GB but they dropped it to 20GB.

Beta tester for Gen4 Echostar 17.
Ask a mountain climber why, because it's there.
A lifetime gadget guy since the beginning before calculators, slide rule math is intense with electronics bench repair.
Life has been good to me.

My guess HN will reconsider keeping the free zone, speculation will continue to be that.
I'd like to see if direct for Exede free time, sure appears to be their web site.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit
reply to micwa

I see this is now mentioned on their main website. It would be foolish for Hughes not to continue to offer theirs.

jlester

join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.
reply to micwa

It is official.

We are thrilled to announce the addition of the Late Night Free Zone to all of our Exede Internet retail service packages starting at Midnight tonight, August 14, 2012.

The Late Night Free Zone offers customers downloads and uploads with NO VOLUME CAP between 12 midnight - 5 a.m. every night (local to the customer's time zone). Downloads and uploads during this time will not count towards their data cap regardless of the Exede package your customer has subscribed to.
--
Motorola Canopy Wireless Broadband System
"Broadband For The Boonies"
Link Globally, Buy Locally. It Matters.

Meganano

Who is "We"?

Are you with Viasat, Dish Network, or that Coop? (Do I get the free zone with Exede from Dish Network?)

jlester

join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.

The we is Viasat. I am a WB/Exede dealer. You will have to ask Dish if it applies to you as well.
J

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to micwa

All this information has been updated on the exede.com webpage. Can't get any more "official" than that . . . .

micwa

Seminary, MS

Here's the official confirmation everyone has been wishing for...

»www.facebook.com/exedebroadband/···16519670

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to micwa

No confirmation from DISH or NRTC customers if this will be available to them. I certainly hope so....for those customers.

micwa

Seminary, MS

They are not offering the free download zone. The employee that runs the Exede Facebook urged one customer to contact DISH and request the feature. The way they put it, ViaSat does not and can not control what DISH/AT&T/NRTC offers.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by micwa:

The way they put it, ViaSat does not and can not control what DISH/AT&T/NRTC offers.

Which begs a bigger question....How much bandwidth does DISH/DirecTV/AT&T/NRTC buy?

Will Exede be 'porking out' and short changing those other users on these other resellers?

Bandwidth allocation...does Exede even have a bandwidth "Pie Chart" showing allocation amounts to all resellers, including itself?

Most interesting topic, which begs other related questions...are network management policies being applied fairly to all?

micwa

Seminary, MS

said by DrStrangLov:

said by micwa:

The way they put it, ViaSat does not and can not control what DISH/AT&T/NRTC offers.

Which begs a bigger question....How much bandwidth does DISH/DirecTV/AT&T/NRTC buy?

Will Exede be 'porking out' and short changing those other users on these other resellers?

Bandwidth allocation...does Exede even have a bandwidth "Pie Chart" showing allocation amounts to all resellers, including itself?

Most interesting topic, which begs other related questions...are network management policies being applied fairly to all?

I really don't know, and don't care?

Why would I?

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by micwa:

Why would I?

It's about "bandwidth fairness." Having someone else pork out-like an East Coast user-and dragging the network down while others in Midwest/Mountain/Pacific are in their primetime is quite unfair.

I'm in CDT, and on my beam around midnight, most all folks are in bed...but if I don't see my advertized speeds, I know the bandwidth is going somewhere else.

Robbing Peter, to pay Paul to pork out, is quite unfair

In other words, Network Managment Policy should be based upon each beam's activities. So, if few users are onboard my beam, I should get full speed ahead, while those on the midnight "all you can eat" should get throttled back.