how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jlester

join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.
reply to micwa

Re: Exede: Late night free zone - A reality!

It is official.

We are thrilled to announce the addition of the Late Night Free Zone to all of our Exede Internet retail service packages starting at Midnight tonight, August 14, 2012.

The Late Night Free Zone offers customers downloads and uploads with NO VOLUME CAP between 12 midnight - 5 a.m. every night (local to the customer's time zone). Downloads and uploads during this time will not count towards their data cap regardless of the Exede package your customer has subscribed to.
--
Motorola Canopy Wireless Broadband System
"Broadband For The Boonies"
Link Globally, Buy Locally. It Matters.

Meganano

join:2012-05-10

Who is "We"?

Are you with Viasat, Dish Network, or that Coop? (Do I get the free zone with Exede from Dish Network?)

jlester

join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.

The we is Viasat. I am a WB/Exede dealer. You will have to ask Dish if it applies to you as well.
J

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to micwa

All this information has been updated on the exede.com webpage. Can't get any more "official" than that . . . .

micwa

join:2009-01-13
Seminary, MS

Here's the official confirmation everyone has been wishing for...

»www.facebook.com/exedebroadband/···16519670

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to micwa

No confirmation from DISH or NRTC customers if this will be available to them. I certainly hope so....for those customers.

micwa

Seminary, MS

They are not offering the free download zone. The employee that runs the Exede Facebook urged one customer to contact DISH and request the feature. The way they put it, ViaSat does not and can not control what DISH/AT&T/NRTC offers.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by micwa:

The way they put it, ViaSat does not and can not control what DISH/AT&T/NRTC offers.

Which begs a bigger question....How much bandwidth does DISH/DirecTV/AT&T/NRTC buy?

Will Exede be 'porking out' and short changing those other users on these other resellers?

Bandwidth allocation...does Exede even have a bandwidth "Pie Chart" showing allocation amounts to all resellers, including itself?

Most interesting topic, which begs other related questions...are network management policies being applied fairly to all?

micwa

Seminary, MS

said by DrStrangLov:

said by micwa:

The way they put it, ViaSat does not and can not control what DISH/AT&T/NRTC offers.

Which begs a bigger question....How much bandwidth does DISH/DirecTV/AT&T/NRTC buy?

Will Exede be 'porking out' and short changing those other users on these other resellers?

Bandwidth allocation...does Exede even have a bandwidth "Pie Chart" showing allocation amounts to all resellers, including itself?

Most interesting topic, which begs other related questions...are network management policies being applied fairly to all?

I really don't know, and don't care?

Why would I?

DrStrangLov

said by micwa:

Why would I?

It's about "bandwidth fairness." Having someone else pork out-like an East Coast user-and dragging the network down while others in Midwest/Mountain/Pacific are in their primetime is quite unfair.

I'm in CDT, and on my beam around midnight, most all folks are in bed...but if I don't see my advertized speeds, I know the bandwidth is going somewhere else.

Robbing Peter, to pay Paul to pork out, is quite unfair

In other words, Network Managment Policy should be based upon each beam's activities. So, if few users are onboard my beam, I should get full speed ahead, while those on the midnight "all you can eat" should get throttled back.

BasilAR
WildBlue

join:2006-07-20
Parks, AR

said by DrStrangLov:

In other words, Network Managment Policy should be based upon each beam's activities.

I believe each beam has a preassigned bandwidth load. What happens in one beam does not affect an other. At least that was the case on the other three pre Viasat satellites. That is why we had some congested beams. Routing ground traffic is another story.
--
WildBlue - Beam 35 - value

DrStrangLov

said by BasilAR:

I believe each beam has a preassigned bandwidth load.

Since Exede's beginning, there has been a number of network changes.

Some months ago, I brought up this topic that my beam was being hammered when few users were online.

I have not re-evaluated this topic; network engineers may have a better foothold now on fine tuning these AcceleNet Servers and Cisco's traffic hardware.

My point here is that additional bandwidth should be acquired if others are being choked in their prime-time and graveyard hours, while others are porking out during their "all you can eat" hours.

mwkessler
Wildblue

join:2003-10-24
Harrington, DE
reply to micwa

Last night I downloaded a movie to try and get a consistent speed on my downloads. When I checked my usage meter I saw they charged me of r the download. I called customer service to let them knok and they promptly removed the data usage from the movie. The free period is 12am to 5am and officially started today at 12am.
--
Wildblue Exede 12/5 15gb cap. The worst ISP on the face of earth. I also have a account with Millenicom, to back up my unreliable Wildblue connection.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to DrStrangLov

said by DrStrangLov:

said by micwa:

Why would I?

It's about "bandwidth fairness." Having someone else pork out-like an East Coast user-and dragging the network down while others in Midwest/Mountain/Pacific are in their primetime is quite unfair.

I'm in CDT, and on my beam around midnight, most all folks are in bed...but if I don't see my advertized speeds, I know the bandwidth is going somewhere else.

Robbing Peter, to pay Paul to pork out, is quite unfair

In other words, Network Managment Policy should be based upon each beam's activities. So, if few users are onboard my beam, I should get full speed ahead, while those on the midnight "all you can eat" should get throttled back.

Exede does not offer a CIR as part of your contract. All speeds are best effort.

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state

Satellite is broken up in reigns as some refer to Nodes ... there could be 3 Nodes on one State for example. One node shouldn't affect others.

I don't believe that west, central, or east could affect each other unless the ground networks are overloaded junky servers.

I could be wrong someone correct me if so ...

ricky_005

united state

2 edits
reply to silbaco

@silbaco If I get hooked up on Gen 4 and getting dial-up speed shouldn't I have the right for a full refund included install etc...

O would I have to take them to court?

I know were dealing with Mafia style business models but this is why there should be federal regulation protecting consumers.

Secondly at what point does the Mafia say no more user accounts for that Sat?

Is the breaking point of the business model when it hits dial-up speed? Than you get a dial-up for $9 bucks .... Caught in Time Warp sent back 20 years.......You've Got Mail....LMAO

micwa

Seminary, MS
reply to mwkessler

It was probably reflecting data you used prior to the free download zone, since the meter lags. It's taken ViaSat 6 months just to get the meter operational.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to ricky_005

said by ricky_005:

@silbaco If I get hooked up on Gen 4 and getting dial-up speed shouldn't I have the right for a full refund included install etc...

O would I have to take them to court?

I know were dealing with Mafia style business models but this is why there should be federal regulation protecting consumers.

That would be a completely different situation. Getting dial-up speeds from a service and getting slightly reduced speeds during a couple hours a day (which Hughes has more or less proven to not actually happen) are not really comparable.

Although I do agree. We need regulations. Bad.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to DrStrangLov

said by DrStrangLov:

On Viasat-1 the spot beams assigned to specific gateways tend to be clumped together in the same time zone. The spot beams for only a few of them are spread out through different time zones, for example, the Tuscon Gateway with beams 327, 358 and 364. Generally the free zone will not overlap primetime for different spot beams using the same gateway.

As for your Exede-5, you are supposed to be assigned to the Riverside Gateway which services beams from Central to Pacific time zones. Your free zone begins at 11 pm in Mountain Time Zone here and 10 pm on the Pacific coast. Prime time slowdown usually abates between 10 and 11 pm local time. Maybe you should set your download manager to begin downloading at 1 am instead of midnight. Having service via NRTC and with a 10 GB/month cap, I am guessing you are so out of luck about getting a free zone.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

DrStrangLov

said by Spice300:

As for your Exede-5, you are supposed to be assigned to the Riverside Gateway

I'm on Phoenix AcceleNet Server, which takes care of Exede 5/12 beams. Riverside Gateway just passes on and receives my data traffic; it does not process data in Riverside.

ricky_005

united state

Whats you're average up and down speed during peak time?

And does the speed your getting feel responsively correct?

DrStrangLov

said by ricky_005:

And does the speed your getting feel responsively correct?

Primetime experiences are fine....upload speed was slowed way down from early afternoon until after primetime...this never effected my experiences since I'm not a heavy uploader.

I see today, just now, they may have fixed this issue:

:::.. Upload Test Results ..:::
Upload Connection:: 816 Kbps or 0.8 Mbps
Upload Test Size:: 2.9 MB or 2992 kB or 3063420 bytes
Upload Speed:: 102 kB/s
Tested At:: »TestMy.net version:12
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/db/qaIHQym
Test Time:: 2012-08-16 16:28:44 Local Time

Before, I might have seen 100 Kbps speed, now 816 Kbps. I'll have to check it in primetime.

I believe in Murphy's Law, but if they have a handle on Cisco's traffic machines, there might not be an issue.

My understanding on Hughes Download Zone, speeds drop during first several hours, and then rebounded. But, I understand Hughes is changing their Download policy to limit download amount to your plan size. Hence, it appears Hughes knows something...

ricky_005

united state

I think in the long term WB reputation will only get worst .... Imagine that....lol

If you offer 12Mbps you need to deliver. Being that there Sat is new and surely not loaded yet, having issues now are tell tell sign of Major PR problems down the road.

DrStrangLov

said by ricky_005:

If you offer 12Mbps you need to deliver.

I'm on Exede 5; see these test results taken today

Download Connection:: 7770 Kbps or 7.6 Mbps

Upload Connection:: 816 Kbps or 0.8 Mbps

»Re: Dynamic Address Changed: Phoenix AcceleNet Server

Spice300
Premium

Having Exede through an NRTC, do you, DrStrangeLov, have the Free Zone yet?

DrStrangLov

said by Spice300:

NRTC...have the Free Zone yet?

Unknown! I may test it tonight.

DrStrangLov

1 edit
reply to Spice300

RE: NRTC...have the Free Zone yet?

I installed 372 Mbytes of Vista updates on a computer with a clean install:

49% (5047 MB)
46% (4668 MB)

379 Mbytes difference....so NRTC meter was ticking just after midnight CDT. I did some light surfing also, some 7 Mbytes.

Footnote - Microsoft suggested I was downloading maybe around 621 Mbytes, but Networx and NRTC data meter showed about 372/379 Mbytes. I'll have to watch/record Microsoft's updates in the future, to see how actual download compares.

mwkessler
Wildblue

join:2003-10-24
Harrington, DE
reply to mwkessler

I will update my statement. I thought they were adding my data used during the free time back on to my account but I was wrong. As of right now they owe me 12gb in data and are in no hurry to add it back on to my account. Their system is not work for the free download periods.
--
Wildblue Exede 12/5 15gb cap. The worst ISP on the face of earth. I also have a account with Millenicom, to back up my unreliable Wildblue connection.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to DrStrangLov

said by DrStrangLov:

Footnote - Microsoft suggested I was downloading maybe around 621 Mbytes, but Networx and NRTC data meter showed about 372/379 Mbytes. I'll have to watch/record Microsoft's updates in the future, to see how actual download compares.

Your numbers are probably correct. Don't forget that the FEC component of the satellite segment adds redundant bits. The difference between 621 and 751 corresponds pretty close to 8-PSK @ FEC 5/6

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

Spice300
Premium
reply to DrStrangLov

DrStrangeLov, thanks for testing it.