spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gruto12

join:2012-08-14

Distribution Amp and Ultra TV

My cable distribution panel has a 1 ghz amp. Have had WOW for over a year SD. HD, with no issues. Will Ultra TV work with the exisiting amp and home cabling?

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

When I had UltraTV installed a few weeks ago, I was told by the installer that Amps would cause the media player boxes to not function correctly. I removed my amp from the line but found the signal on clear QAM channels to be extremely poor after being split through two 8 way splitters for every room in my house... so I replaced the amp and have had no issues with anything functioning incorrectly. Everything's been working fine for me since the day I got it installed.. so that's as much as I can tell you.

dfs

@wideopenwest.com
reply to gruto12

I have one leg of a two way splitter going to the gateway and another leg going to another two way splitter feeding my 5 way amp. The other leg goes to another two way splitter to feed both media players. All working fine.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to gruto12

My installer treated it just like the gateway was a cable modem. A two-way splitter with one going to the gateway, the other split to the amp, and the amp to whatever else. No difference with, or without it, so that's how I'd do it if you're concerned about the signal.

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL

Yep, I have the same setup as Jimmy. Wouldn't run the amp output to the gateway, just go with what's stated above if possible.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to gruto12

Installer removed my amp and told me I absolutely can't use it. He installed a 4 port splitter in its place.

I'm getting alot of dropped pictures and audio cutouts now but there's nothing I can do.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Then get them back out there, either they will get the hint that you need the amp or will find the actual issue, or both.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Body Count

See if you can figure out what the signal levels are.

Did you have the amp before? Because it's a $30 one-time charge, and after that you OWN the amp.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

I bought the amp. The amp is already mine. Is there a way to see the signal levels on the UltraTV box? I'm sure there's a combination of buttons to press to bring it up. I saw the installer do it but didn't see what he pressed.

ampz

@wideopenwest.com
reply to gruto12

The installers are told they cannot use amps with the ultra tv. They are only doing what they are told to do. Dont always blame installers because alot of the times there hands are tied with things like this.

ampz

@wideopenwest.com
reply to gruto12

Yes there is a way to check signals but what your going to see is the tuners on the gateway and if its running right off the two way they should all be good.

dsttechs

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Body Count

192.168.100.1 To check the levels on the modem.
192.168.0.1 Choose MoCA Tab, choose Advanced to see the levels at each media player.

The gateway determines the transmit level needed to reach each media player, so there is no need to have an amplifier within the MoCA network. If a 1GHz amp is inside the MoCA network it could potentially cause communications issues because the MoCA standard uses RF signals with an operating frequency range of 500 to 1650 MHz. So if your gateway is transmitting at 1500 MHz your 1000 MHz (1GHz) amp won't let that frequency pass, or it may but it will do it poorly.

Any amplifier should be used outside of the MoCA network (off a split before the outlet that feeds the gateway) and only on outlets that feed TVs with QAM tuners, or set top boxes.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:34

said by dsttechs :

192.168.100.1 To check the levels on the modem.
192.168.0.1 Choose MoCA Tab, choose Advanced to see the levels at each media player.

The gateway determines the transmit level needed to reach each media player, so there is no need to have an amplifier within the MoCA network. If a 1GHz amp is inside the MoCA network it could potentially cause communications issues because the MoCA standard uses RF signals with an operating frequency range of 500 to 1650 MHz. So if your gateway is transmitting at 1500 MHz your 1000 MHz (1GHz) amp won't let that frequency pass, or it may but it will do it poorly.

Any amplifier should be used outside of the MoCA network (off a split before the outlet that feeds the gateway) and only on outlets that feed TVs with QAM tuners, or set top boxes.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. We don't recommend the use of a 1ghz amp with the service. Depending on the amp, you may have issues passing the MoCA frequencies through it. If the amp knocks out anything above 1ghz, or degrades it too much, the media players will have issues talking to the gateway, and vice versa.

The nice part that makes up for this, is that the media players and the gateway auto negotiate their power levels inside the home. They can talk to each other pretty well through multiple splitters, and should never require an amplifier to work properly. I hooked up a gateway and a media player through 5 splitters backwards (using only the out ports on the splitters), and they were still able to communicate. If you require an amp for QAM tuners or DTAs, I would recommend putting them on a separate network in the home where there is no MoCA needed, that way the amp will not interfere with the MoCA communication.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center