Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jordan

Re: [Line Problem] AT&T DSL self-installation

When AT&T has completed their portion of the physical install there will be dialtone on the line and the modem will sync.

If AT&T has completed the above steps and you still have no dialtone and modem sync, then you are not connected to the same pair AT&T has used to establish your service.

I'd like to think that part of AT&T's process would be to visit your NID and confirm modem sync by the due date. They may or may not inform you of this though.

The last time I went thru this, I just plugged a modem into the line and waited for it to sync. I already had phone service on that line so the presence of dialtone was not going to be the indicator.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by graysonf:

I'd like to think that part of AT&T's process would be to visit your NID and confirm modem sync by the due date. They may or may not inform you of this though.

They also may or may not bother to do it. My experience with my first AT&T DSL Direct install (well, actually it was BellSouth Standalone FastAccess...it was after the assimilation, but before the actual name change) was that AT&T just assumed that there was a connection to the NID for line two. in actuality there was not even a connection to my pedestal for the line pair that AT&T chose for that circuit, but AT&T support kept insisting that the install was "complete" and that it was my problem that I had no dial tone or modem sync. After several days and many phone calls and emails, I was finally able to get an install tech visit, and he had to put in missing cross connects in both the cross box and my pedestal. The really stupid part was that I had explicitly warned the AT&T sales rep that I already had a Covad circuit on line one, and I did not currently have dial tone on line two, and that I had never had AT&T POTS or DSL at that location (on line one or line two).

The second DSL direct install went better because I already had a Covad dedicated DSL circuit assigned to the wire pairs in the pedestal that went to my line one, so in that case AT&T's cross connects at the CO actually worked OK (all I had to do was change the PPPoE credentials from Covad's to AT&T's).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.