uniqs
share rss forum feed

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

Has Comcast's spam filters been breached?

I have noticed a huge increase in the amount of spam on all my Comcast accounts. It looks like Comcast's spam filters have been breached and are becoming irrelevant.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Central PA

join:2003-07-09
Aspers, PA
I noticed the same thing here in Central Pennsylvania on Comcast.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to b10010011
said by b10010011:

I have noticed a huge increase in the amount of spam on all my Comcast accounts. It looks like Comcast's spam filters have been breached and are becoming irrelevant.

The only thing I use my comcast.net email for is for communicating with Comcast, and for a couple of newletters and retailers that I don't want to associate with my own domains, and I have not noticed any spam in my comcast.net inboxes (and very little in the Spam folder for that matter).

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally turn off the Spam filtering for your comcast.net email account(s)?
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Central PA

join:2003-07-09
Aspers, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Spam filter enabled.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to b10010011
said by b10010011:

I've also noticed a significant increase in spam, even though I have spam filtering enabled.

I do see one thing in common with all the emails that have gotten through the spam filter....

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by camper:

I've also noticed a significant increase in spam, even though I have spam filtering enabled.

I do see one thing in common with all the emails that have gotten through the spam filter....

And you are keeping this information to yourself because???
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally turn off the Spam filtering for your comcast.net email account(s)?

I just double checked and spam filtering is on. Comcast's spam filtering was one of the few things I would normally give them a thumbs up for. As in the past is has been almost magical is it's ability to keep my inbox spam free.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
said by b10010011:

said by NetFixer:

I just double checked and spam filtering is on. Comcast's spam filtering was one of the few things I would normally give them a thumbs up for. As in the past is has been almost magical is it's ability to keep my inbox spam free.

Well, hopefully what you are seeing will pass after Comcast's Bayesian filtering catches up with whatever new spam technique it is currently missing. It is not unusual for a new spam technique to slip by before the filters recognize it.

--

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Yeah I hope you are right, I have been logging it to the web based email client and marking them as spam.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by b10010011:

Yeah I hope you are right, I have been logging it to the web based email client and marking them as spam.

Perhaps camper will post again in this thread with some additional information on the "hint" that was provided in this post: »Re: Has Comcast's spam filters been breached?

said by camper :

--

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
I've been getting more spam too. Several a day, up from almost zero.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by owlyn:

I've been getting more spam too. Several a day, up from almost zero.

Possibly the main reason that I am not seeing an increase in undetected spam in my comcast.net email accounts is because of the limited usage of my comcast.net email accounts. I have never used them for general email, only for communication with Comcast, and for a small number of sites (primarily as a login ID rather than for actual email usage). If the spammers don't know you are there, it is harder for them to send you spam.

OTOH, the more used email addresses for my own domains get a lot of spam. But my own email servers still manage to stuff most of it into the spam bucket (and the small amount that the servers miss is usually detected and quarantined by the Norton Anti-spam daemon and/or SeaMonkey's internal spam detection).
--

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

And you are keeping this information to yourself because???

Just because I do not post a possible way to bypass comcast's spam filter on a public message board, does not mean that I am keeping it to myself.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to b10010011
said by b10010011:

I too have seen more spam on Comcast email accounts recently and have spent the time to go online and mark them as spam even though I normally download my email using Outlook. I just hope it helps Comcast to mark them as spam so I am not wasting my time.

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

The only thing I use my comcast.net email for is for communicating with Comcast

^ This.

and for a couple of newletters and retailers that I don't want to associate with my own domains

Never would even consider doing this.

The _only_ thing I've ever used the comcast email address for is as a backup address with my domain(s) ISP as a backup for when my own email is down, so that there's still a means of communicating via email.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD
reply to b10010011
FWIW I have also been seeing an increase in spam, but not only to my Comcast addresses. I have also been seeing an increase in spam to my domain addresses as well, so I suspect that, as has already been stated, the spammers have found a way around the latest filters. Such is the cyclical nature of spam and spam filtering.

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by madylarian:

FWIW I have also been seeing an increase in spam, but not only to my Comcast addresses. I have also been seeing an increase in spam to my domain addresses as well, so I suspect that, as has already been stated, the spammers have found a way around the latest filters. Such is the cyclical nature of spam and spam filtering.

I've seen an increase in spam as well to the email server that I run. Normally I reject about 100 to 110 messages per day for spam. Lately, the number has been around 120 to 130 per day. Not a large increase by any means. A couple of years ago, it was routinely around 1000 rejected messages per day.

Jordan_Ro

join:2009-02-09

1 recommendation

reply to madylarian
Spam as a whole, across the internet, has been on a dramatic increase despite news reports of several recent spam network takedowns. We are working to more aggressively deal with these recent spam attacks. Thank you for continue to report the messages as spam so that filtering will improve.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to b10010011
It looks like another rough weekend for Comcast's spam filters. I received a dozen or so spam messages in my account, none of which was caught by the spam filter. I went through and marked them as spam.

This spam attack appears to be focused on Comcast email accounts, as the volume of spam I receive on my non-Comcast accounts has been minimal, indeed, the lowest in a long time.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
said by camper:

It looks like another rough weekend for Comcast's spam filters. I received a dozen or so spam messages in my account, none of which were caught by the spam filter. I went through and marked them as spam.

This spam attack appears to be focused on Comcast email accounts, as the volume of spam I receive on my non-Comcast accounts has been minimal, indeed, the lowest in a long time.

Indeed, I received several this weekend after a lull the past week or so. I also received several copies on all my accounts of a mortgage spam and a learn foreign language spam.
--

Dan2112

join:2001-08-24
San Jose, CA
Ditto.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to b10010011
However I find a similar wave occuring on non CC mail too.
I believe the short lull, caused by all the bot networks shutdowns is over as spammer move to differnt bots and even direct network spam machines.
Hopefully another wave of shutdowns (if it were to happen quickly) would severely limit the next wave.

Jordan_Ro

Unfortunately, there is an Internet-wide resurgence in spam, the likes of which the industry hasn't really see in about 2 years. We are actively working these attacks and adjusting our filters. Thanks for bearing with us as we work through these attacks.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
Just marked four more messages today from my Inbox as spam. So far no non-spam emails have been marked as spam by Comcast.

I'm sure this is a challenge to weed out the spam while still delivering legitimate emails. Your efforts are appreciated.

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Jordan_Ro
I tried to forward a load of spam to the comcast spam email reporting address Friday or Saturday. Either I did something wrong (very possible) or the spam reporting box was down. I got a bounced email (not a valid email?) message in my inbox when I attempted this.

I was using the "missed-spam AT comcast" email address.

Dan2112

join:2001-08-24
San Jose, CA
reply to Jordan_Ro
More again today

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to b10010011
Knock on wood I've only received about 2-3 in the past couple months. Both of them spoofed to appear as if I sent them myself.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Jordan_Ro

As is always the case, there's a game of cat and mouse going on with the recent spam attacks. Our missed spam mailbox hasn't been down, and is receiving reports in expected volumes, so double check your spelling. Remember it's dot net, not dot com.

thataboi

join:2004-03-09
Springfield, OR
reply to b10010011
Most spam filters are as useful as a screen door on a submarine. In other words they are easily bypassed. The only way to truly block unwanted spam is to have a filter that blocks all but what you list, or anyone with your specified generated key or certificate. Even then places you sign up for can't be trusted to keep your e-mail and other info safe and not sell off their list to others to make money. It's so bad you can sign up for a e-mail not even use it and get 1000's of spam the next day.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by thataboi:

Most spam filters are as useful as a screen door on a submarine....

That is true.

That is also why I expect an organization such as Comcast, with a huge number of Internet customers, to have spam filters that are better than most; spams filters that are among the best, if not the best.