how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dan2112

join:2001-08-24
San Jose, CA
reply to b10010011

Re: Has Comcast's spam filters been breached?

Ditto.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to b10010011
However I find a similar wave occuring on non CC mail too.
I believe the short lull, caused by all the bot networks shutdowns is over as spammer move to differnt bots and even direct network spam machines.
Hopefully another wave of shutdowns (if it were to happen quickly) would severely limit the next wave.

Jordan_Ro

join:2009-02-09
kudos:1
Unfortunately, there is an Internet-wide resurgence in spam, the likes of which the industry hasn't really see in about 2 years. We are actively working these attacks and adjusting our filters. Thanks for bearing with us as we work through these attacks.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
Just marked four more messages today from my Inbox as spam. So far no non-spam emails have been marked as spam by Comcast.

I'm sure this is a challenge to weed out the spam while still delivering legitimate emails. Your efforts are appreciated.

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Jordan_Ro
I tried to forward a load of spam to the comcast spam email reporting address Friday or Saturday. Either I did something wrong (very possible) or the spam reporting box was down. I got a bounced email (not a valid email?) message in my inbox when I attempted this.

I was using the "missed-spam AT comcast" email address.

Dan2112

join:2001-08-24
San Jose, CA
reply to Jordan_Ro
More again today

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to b10010011
Knock on wood I've only received about 2-3 in the past couple months. Both of them spoofed to appear as if I sent them myself.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Jordan_Ro

join:2009-02-09
As is always the case, there's a game of cat and mouse going on with the recent spam attacks. Our missed spam mailbox hasn't been down, and is receiving reports in expected volumes, so double check your spelling. Remember it's dot net, not dot com.

thataboi

join:2004-03-09
Springfield, OR
reply to b10010011
Most spam filters are as useful as a screen door on a submarine. In other words they are easily bypassed. The only way to truly block unwanted spam is to have a filter that blocks all but what you list, or anyone with your specified generated key or certificate. Even then places you sign up for can't be trusted to keep your e-mail and other info safe and not sell off their list to others to make money. It's so bad you can sign up for a e-mail not even use it and get 1000's of spam the next day.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by thataboi:

Most spam filters are as useful as a screen door on a submarine....

That is true.

That is also why I expect an organization such as Comcast, with a huge number of Internet customers, to have spam filters that are better than most; spams filters that are among the best, if not the best.

techguyga
Premium
join:2003-12-31
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to thataboi
Most, but not all. We use a mixture of Barracuda and Cisco Ironport in our enterprise. Our end-users receive almost no spam at all...maybe 1 message every 3 or 4 months. For stuff that is questionable, we hold it on the device and users get a digest of quarantined mail. They make the choice of whether to release it or delete it. Both actions train the filters.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
techguyga,

Who is "we" mentioned in your post?

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to techguyga
Pretty sweet Techguyga, using a Barracuda at this small office and we have a total of 307K emails since 3 yrs or so. LOL.You get more spam per day than we get total emails for week!

Total Received 319,239 179 22

You did say Enterprise however compared to us as a small business

techguyga
Premium
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Streetlight
"We" would be the IT department at our company. I wan't clear, but in the configuration of either the Barracuda or the Ironport devices, you can have mail quarantined if it falls in a range of "maybe spam, maybe not". A quarantined mail digest is sent daily to each user with mail currently in their quarantine, and they decide whether it is spam or not.

Stuff that is definitely spam is dropped with no NDR at the mail gateway. Cuts down tremendously on traffic that makes it to the server.
--
My hourly rates:
$35 per hour.
$45 per hour if you want to watch.
$55 per hour if you want to help.
$100 per hour if you already tried to fix it.

techguyga
Premium
Buford, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to SHoTTa35
Cool. The Barracuda appliances we use are great, I've been really impressed with them. They were pretty easy to configure and out of the box, they give us great results.

The Cisco devices are awesome also, and give us a lot more functionality, but licensing is expensive and they are a bit tougher to configure.

sava700

join:2005-03-08
united state
reply to b10010011
wait... could this filter changes and whatever else going on that Comcast be doing cause my problem and they not know it??
»[E-mail] Some accounts work some do not?

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to techguyga
said by techguyga:

Most, but not all. We use a mixture of Barracuda and Cisco Ironport in our enterprise. Our end-users receive almost no spam at all...maybe 1 message every 3 or 4 months. ...

We used the Barracuda as well, with results fairly similar to yours.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to sava700
said by sava700:

wait... could this filter changes and whatever else going on that Comcast be doing cause my problem and they not know it??
»[E-mail] Some accounts work some do not?

Not likely. More likely is that you either have problems with your browser config (you need JavaScript enabled and access to googleapis.com enabled), or there are problems with the accounts you are trying to access.

Try setting up a POP3 email client to see if that works for you. i have on numerous occasions not been able to access Comcast/Xfinity webmail, but had no problems at all with using a Mozilla email client from a PC, or the built-in email client in my cell phone.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to b10010011
The rate of spam seems to be down to about one spam email per day per account.

The spam is still only occurriong on my Comcast email accounts, with the same email appearing on all the accounts.

Meanwhile the spam being rejected by my email server is down to about 55 emails per day, nearly the lowest level it has ever been. Typically it runs about twice that.