join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to b10010011

Premium Member

to b10010011

Re: Has Comcast's spam filters been breached?

said by b10010011:

I have noticed a huge increase in the amount of spam on all my Comcast accounts. It looks like Comcast's spam filters have been breached and are becoming irrelevant.

The only thing I use my comcast.net email for is for communicating with Comcast, and for a couple of newletters and retailers that I don't want to associate with my own domains, and I have not noticed any spam in my comcast.net inboxes (and very little in the Spam folder for that matter).

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally turn off the Spam filtering for your comcast.net email account(s)?
Central PA
join:2003-07-09
Aspers, PA

Central PA

Spam filter enabled.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally turn off the Spam filtering for your comcast.net email account(s)?

I just double checked and spam filtering is on. Comcast's spam filtering was one of the few things I would normally give them a thumbs up for. As in the past is has been almost magical is it's ability to keep my inbox spam free.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by b10010011:

said by NetFixer:

I just double checked and spam filtering is on. Comcast's spam filtering was one of the few things I would normally give them a thumbs up for. As in the past is has been almost magical is it's ability to keep my inbox spam free.

Well, hopefully what you are seeing will pass after Comcast's Bayesian filtering catches up with whatever new spam technique it is currently missing. It is not unusual for a new spam technique to slip by before the filters recognize it.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

Yeah I hope you are right, I have been logging it to the web based email client and marking them as spam.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by b10010011:

Yeah I hope you are right, I have been logging it to the web based email client and marking them as spam.

Perhaps camper will post again in this thread with some additional information on the "hint" that was provided in this post: »Re: Has Comcast's spam filters been breached?
said by camper :

I do see one thing in common with all the emails that have gotten through the spam filter....

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

I've been getting more spam too. Several a day, up from almost zero.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by owlyn:

I've been getting more spam too. Several a day, up from almost zero.

Possibly the main reason that I am not seeing an increase in undetected spam in my comcast.net email accounts is because of the limited usage of my comcast.net email accounts. I have never used them for general email, only for communication with Comcast, and for a small number of sites (primarily as a login ID rather than for actual email usage). If the spammers don't know you are there, it is harder for them to send you spam.

OTOH, the more used email addresses for my own domains get a lot of spam. But my own email servers still manage to stuff most of it into the spam bucket (and the small amount that the servers miss is usually detected and quarantined by the Norton Anti-spam daemon and/or SeaMonkey's internal spam detection).

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to b10010011

Premium Member

to b10010011
said by b10010011:

I too have seen more spam on Comcast email accounts recently and have spent the time to go online and mark them as spam even though I normally download my email using Outlook. I just hope it helps Comcast to mark them as spam so I am not wasting my time.

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

The only thing I use my comcast.net email for is for communicating with Comcast

^ This.

and for a couple of newletters and retailers that I don't want to associate with my own domains

Never would even consider doing this.

The _only_ thing I've ever used the comcast email address for is as a backup address with my domain(s) ISP as a backup for when my own email is down, so that there's still a means of communicating via email.