All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

WINE-running an 64 bit windows .exe on a 32 bit kernel

Can I use Wine 1.4 to run an 64 bit exe file in an 32 bit linux system?
The hardware in the system does not support the x64 systems but can I emulate it some how?
darthanubis
join:2010-01-05
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis

Wow.

Let us know how that works for you?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to robman50

MVM

to robman50
Somehow I doubt it would work. Is there something preventing you from trying it?
robman50

robman50

To me it sounds like it will not work considering Windows keeps telling me it is 'not a valid Win32 application'. Also some 'virtual computing' programs say 'installing an 64 bit system requires an x64 processor.'
Since I really don't know Linux that well I don't know what it is capable of.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

leibold to robman50

MVM

to robman50
No!

Wine does not perform hardware emulation (well, at least not to that level) and therefore in order to execute 64-bit opcodes you do need to have a real 64-bit processor.
robman50

robman50

I kind of figured that it wouldn't work. Just thought I'd ask the more experienced users first (you guys)

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box to leibold

to leibold
Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" . It only translates the Windows system calls into Linux system calls. See here. That's why the Windows programs under Wine integrate so well with the rest of the Linux desktop.
mich64
join:2008-08-30

mich64 to robman50

to robman50
You can emulate x86_64 with qemu, but it will be slower.

To run 64 bit Windows binaries natively, you will need 64 bit versions of (at least) the kernel, wine and all shared libraries used by wine (including the dynamic linker).
robman50

robman50

what does it mean when it says 'exit with code 256'? that was with the 32 bit solitaire from win 7.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

In Unix like operating systems (including Linux) the exit code of a program is a composite of the return value from the program (if any) and if applicable the reason for any abnormal termination (in response to a signal).

The lower 8-bits (values 0 through 255) represent the return value from the program (convention is 0 for success and non-zero values for failure but there are exceptions). The higher 8 bits are used to indicate abnormal termination in response to a signal. Sometimes this is further subdivided into a 7-bit signal number and the 8th bit indicates whether or not a core-dump was generated to help analyze the abnormal termination.

The value 256 shifted right by 8 bits gives the value 1. Signal number 1 is SIGHUP (hang-up, dating back to the days of remote terminals) which means that the controlling terminal (perhaps a window on your desktop) was closed and that any programs started from it should now end since there is no longer anybody providing input or listening to any output.

Since you are getting this exit code while trying to run a windows executable I should probably mention that the above does not apply to dos/windows.

Still, SIGHUP is not unusual in cases where a GUI application creates a child process (which is then supposed to open a window with the user interface of the application) and the parent process exits (thinking it is done) before the child process is ready (switched controlling terminal to the pseudo-tty associated with the new window).