GeekInfoNow to medbuyer

to medbuyer

Re: Clearband (OMGFast)

The reason(s)
1. Cheaper.... get more for the price I pay now
2. Faster....50mb to start and "rumor" 100mb in three months
3. No contract
4. No data cap

I also know comcast will not price match or I would have course stayed with them. Asked them to give me the 50mb down for their business price $59.99 and they wouldn't. I could also get away with the residential as my plan...
See # 4

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by GeekInfoNow:

The reason(s)
3. No contract
4. No data cap

I also know comcast will not price match or I would have course stayed with them. Asked them to give me the 50mb down for their business price $59.99 and they wouldn't. I could also get away with the residential as my plan...
See # 4

OK, so does that mean that the Clearband (OMGFast) is really available, and that you now use that service? Your statement "I would have course stayed with them" implies past tense with regard to your Comcast service.

Or are you still just thinking about switching to a service that may still be vaporware (based on Channel One's reply to this thread)?
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to GeekInfoNow

to GeekInfoNow
said by GeekInfoNow:

The reason(s)
3. No contract
4. No data cap

See # 4

something that sounds too good to be true has always a catch....

in this case, 49528867 See Profile chimed in for his availability request and heard nothing, what more for tech support.

Price is one thing, support is another and company's track record / reviews is third when I choose a provider. All those 3 contribute to make a whole decision.

GeekInfoNow
join:2012-07-25

GeekInfoNow to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by GeekInfoNow:

The reason(s)
3. No contract
4. No data cap

See # 4

OK, so does that mean that the Clearband (OMGFast) is really available, and that you now use that service? Your statement "I would have course stayed with them" implies past tense with regard to your Comcast service.

Or are you still just thinking about switching to a service that may still be vaporware (based on Channel One's reply to this thread)?

They are available in margate, pomano and coral springs only now. My statement about I would have I could have been more clearer. I have them coming out Sunday for the install. I will scope them out and do a review. I will post a video on YouTube also. I won't cancel Comcast yet.... might mess around for a month with both to check pros and cons....

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by GeekInfoNow:

They are available in margate, pomano and coral springs only now. My statement about I would have I could have been more clearer. I have them coming out Sunday for the install. I will scope them out and do a review. I will post a video on YouTube also. I won't cancel Comcast yet.... might mess around for a month with both to check pros and cons....

Sounds like a good plan; don't burn your bridges until you are on the other side.

GeekInfoNow
join:2012-07-25

GeekInfoNow

Ill let you know and post here. I just cant find a review or video(that doesnt look scripted) anywhere....

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by GeekInfoNow:

Ill let you know and post here. I just cant find a review or video(that doesnt look scripted) anywhere....

Probably the best place on this site for your review would be the »Wireless Users Chat forum (and I see that you already have a thread there, looking for a review). You could just post a link to that review in this thread (since this entire thread really doesn't belong in this forum).

This service sounds interesting, and I hope that they can get past the funding and FCC licensing hurdles so that they can expand nation wide. It would be nice to see someone get established as a high speed fixed wireless provider before AT&T and Verizon get their fixed LTE services off the ground (competition is good).

Clear had the right idea, but they just did not have the proper spectrum or technology for high speed service (I use past tense even though Clear is still in business, because unless they can get sufficient funding and sufficient LTE spectrum, their days are numbered). In theory I can get Clear's ~4mbps service, but my own analysis of their antenna location and the terrain tells me that I would be lucky if Clear's service would even work for me without an external antenna on a tall mast (I already have one of those just to get cell phone coverage, and I don't think that the management of my apartment complex would be too thrilled if I drilled another hole in the brick wall for the cabling and erected another antenna).
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to GeekInfoNow

to GeekInfoNow
said by GeekInfoNow:

They are available in margate, pomano and coral springs only now.

hhmm...looking at their website and going into careers, the ad they have listed cablevision.jobs to go to see any job openings...

So OMGfast and Clearband is really a division of cablevision?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

said by GeekInfoNow:

They are available in margate, pomano and coral springs only now.

hhmm...looking at their website and going into careers, the ad they have listed cablevision.jobs to go to see any job openings...

So OMGfast and Clearband is really a division of cablevision?

Cablevision launches 'OMGFAST' wireless broadband service
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

"OMGFAST! is a developmental project offering high-speed wireless broadband service in Florida's Broward and Palm Beach counties. We currently have no expansion plans and any future plans would be informed by the business results," Cablevision VP of corporate communications Kelly McAndrew said in a statement provided to FierceCable.

Wayne