Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to bTU

Premium Member

to bTU

Re: MoP pre-patch on August 28th looks like

Looked at the MOP achievements in the WoWHead MOP DB. They're still listed exactly as they are now.

So that's encouraging, because I think all of that is datamined.

EDIT: There IS a Classy Panderen achievement, but its not listed as part of the meta. Monks aren't listed anywhere though.

EDIT #2: there's an acheive called "Challenge Mode Dungeon Challenges". Department of Redundancy Department.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

So let me get this straight

We'll have reg dungeons
Heroic
and then challenge mode?

Will challenge mode drop higher level gear or what?

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

Nick D

Premium Member

Challenge mode is a beautiful experiment.

But first, your full options:

Normal modes are for sub-90 dungeons. This includes the new dungeons tooled for 85-88ish.

Heroic modes are all level 90 only, and the dungeons that are only accessible at 90 are heroic-only (this is like not having normal modes of HoO, Lost City, and Grim Batol).

Heroics are supposed to be a lot easier than Cata (like, Wrath-level). LFR is now the next step.

Gear-wise, looks like heroics drop ilvl 463. For comparison, LFR will drop 476 in Mogu'shan (the first raid), and normal raids will drop 489 (again, in Mogu'shan).

Now, Challenge modes!

These are what people who complain about wanting things that you need to be awesome to obtain, but it also doesn't fux with the progression paths.

They award transmog-only gear. No stats.

They're gear-scaled (your current gear is always scaled to some fixed ilvl. So even if you're in the best heroic raid gear, won't matter, all are equal).

They're timed runs. Faster times get you Gold/Silver/Bronze "medals" for more rewards (titles, coloring on gear sets)

The best times are listed in-game for your server.

They're supposed to be a LOT harder. New abilities on bosses, CC required for trash, etc.

They're not available through LFD. Need to make your own 5-mans.

Basically you get to show off that you are in fact a badass, while not having it on the gear progression path. It's amazing, because you don't gate people from content based on their ability to gear up, AND you don't use elite fights to trivialize other content.

I'm excited

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Nick D:

Basically you get to show off that you are in fact a badass, while not having it on the gear progression path. It's amazing, because you don't gate people from content based on their ability to gear up, AND you don't use elite fights to trivialize other content.

I'm excited

Me to... /squeallikegirlsatahighschoolreunion

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 edit

Nick D

Premium Member

I mean, no one's going to care about "world first CM Scarlet Monastery" or "world fastest CM Temple of the Jade Serpent" because I'm sure those records will be comp based.

But beating your own best time will be a great way to have fun.

Also, I'm a huge fan of showing skill metrics in game. I think WoWProgress should be officially sanctioned and integrated into the UI somehow. I think an official damage meter is a good idea, because honestly, unless someone is helping you (or more likely berating you), do you even know you're playing terribly? (in-game only, without outside resources)

I suspect a large part of the issue with LFD and LFR is that casual players have no idea what the baselines should be. They don't know they're bad because they can't see what "good" is, and they wonder why they get yelled at.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd enjoy gear normalization at all levels of the game. Each time you defeat a raid boss, you get 1 extra ilvl in normalized gear or something, so that the raid becomes easier the more you farm it.

Of course, the gear RNG carrot is far more lucrative (and probably more fun in the long run). But it'd be nice to be able to accomodate my desire for "gear up until you can kill it, and then move on."

Just speculatin'.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
said by Nick D:

They're not available through LFD. Need to make your own 5-mans.

Can you use a cross-server group with B-net friends or must all players be on the same server?

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

That works fine, because its not random grouping. Times are recorded individually (I'm pretty sure), so if you broke a server record with B.net friends, you'd still rank.

There is the concept of a "guild group" for rep, challenges, and acheivements for it as well, but that's standard issue.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Didn't want to start a new thread so here it goes.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· XoyxLv64

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

thanks for posting the video here. I love the new orc model... and the setup was excellent. Great video. Can't wait.