spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FLL

@friedmanllp.com

[TWC] TWC Wideband speed increases

Has there been any updates over the past year regarding TWC's wideband bandwidth increases? It seems they are stuck in 2009 mode & haven't upgraded their 50/5 plan in years.
Anyone know if they plan on doing any type of upgrades, specifically on the upload side similiar to Fios & Comcast recently announced upgrades in NYC?
We use TWC wideband 50/5 for our backup internet service at my firm; the 5Mb upload is just dismal.
Thank you.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

True upload speed is definitely more expensive to upgrade without problems I assume but downstream already exists in most places to support higher speeds. I actually care more about quality of service because it seems like in my area they just enable higher modulation channels without actually sweeping and upgrading the lines which just results in a lot of packet loss and such, speeds are mostly fine but its one thing to have speed another to have clean connection + speed.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

5 Mbps dismal? I'd hate to hear what you call 2 Mbps.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to FLL

Honestly, I would keep 30/5 or the 50/5 if it stays unlimited over Comcasts higher plans with the "low" caps. Could you get 2 modems and "bond" them together with a dual WAN router?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to FLL

said by FLL :

Has there been any updates over the past year regarding TWC's wideband bandwidth increases? It seems they are stuck in 2009 mode & haven't upgraded their 50/5 plan in years.
Anyone know if they plan on doing any type of upgrades, specifically on the upload side similiar to Fios & Comcast recently announced upgrades in NYC?
We use TWC wideband 50/5 for our backup internet service at my firm; the 5Mb upload is just dismal.
Thank you.

As you are using this as a secondary ISP at your buisness have you looked at TW Buisness class?? They may have higher tiers.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

TWCBC doesn't have any higher coax tiers than residential. They offer 35/5 and 50/5 over HFC. Anything more than that has to be delivered over fiber at this point (or by delivering more than one connection) and fiber costs a ton more per month (think $100+ per megabit per month). But hey, TWC fiber is solid stuff.

Y2A

join:2002-03-09
Flushing, NY
reply to FLL

Hell, if anything, I've been getting bandwidth DEcreases. Currently on 30/5 wideband but only seeing at best 25/0.5, as in 25mbps and 500KBPS, and that's non-peak hours. Peak hours are easily half of that. Ridiculous

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

said by Y2A:

Hell, if anything, I've been getting bandwidth DEcreases. Currently on 30/5 wideband but only seeing at best 25/0.5, as in 25mbps and 500KBPS, and that's non-peak hours. Peak hours are easily half of that. Ridiculous

Have you called in?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Y2A

join:2002-03-09
Flushing, NY

I posted in the TWC Direct Support forum here two months ago, and again earlier today because nothing was fixed. TWCPaulS responded and set a service appointment with a tech. Tech came and told me nothing was wrong on my end and that the neighborhood wiring needed fixing (don't know the exact wording, someone else was home when he was there) That was two months ago and I'm still having this problem, therefore nothing was fixed or the fix didn't work.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

Honestly, I would keep 30/5 or the 50/5 if it stays unlimited over Comcasts higher plans with the "low" caps.

Agreed. It's a solid amount of speed, but the fact that I can utilize it without worrying about limits is worth more than a higher cap to me.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

fatpipe

join:2011-10-02
Austin, TX
reply to swintec

I completely agree with the above sentiment. However bandwidth is like a drug that I can't get enough of and 300/75Mbps sounds so sweet!

But if it means usage caps, TWC can keep their bandwidth.

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA

Getting these speeds with the same old "Turbo" or Extreme speed upgrade.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to fatpipe

said by fatpipe:

But if it means usage caps, TWC can keep their bandwidth.

Speed increases or not TWC is aiming for the caps.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

said by bluepoint:

Speed increases or not TWC is aiming for the caps.

Tell me about it, I'm hoping that the higher tiers (30 and 50 Mbps) aren't going to have a cap or at least will have a cap that's decently sized for the speed tier.

I can get away with 500 GBs a month but 250 GBs? That's cutting it close.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to FLL

Any official word on caps? I am loving it my 50/5 (aside from few months of packet loss but now things are improving after cmts migration) but if they are going to cap it thats gonna be quite crappy considering I am paying $100 just for 50/5 package internet, one would expect no caps for price like that.

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14

2 edits

This is not official, since I'm not an insider that would know anything about upcoming mandatory caps (if any), but there is already a system of voluntary caps. i.e., with the "Internet Essentials" plans one can pay a slightly lower price for the Lite, Basic, and Standard tiers (I believe $5 discount per month) and have a 5 GB cap set, then there is a charge for any overage ($1 per GB up to $25 max). So right now people in those 3 tier levels can choose either to have a limited plan or an unlimited plan. Whether additional tiers will have that option later or whether it will become mandatory, I don't know, but again I'm just a layman and outsider.