All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MissUser1011
@bell.ca

MissUser1011

Anon

Does Bell Fibe 15/10 actually download at 15mbs?

I wanted to get bell 25 down, but its not offered in my area so I'm thinking of plans between bells 15/10 and rogers 28Mbps (more expensive). My question was whether bell 15 Mbps down actually is consistently downloading at 15Mbps (or close to it), because Rogers is absolutely crap when it comes to their speed, my guess is if I get the 28Mbps down I will probably download close to 10Mpbs. However, if bell fibe 15 is consistent in its speed it makes sense to get that.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

If you can't get 25 with bell, then forget about 15/10... maybe more 15/1...

You'll get the speed if your not far from the CO or remote.

XanderLo
join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo to MissUser1011

to MissUser1011
You'll get max 15 / 0.7 with Bell. Far from the 15/10 you'd expect. That's because VDSL2 is not available in your area. I'm in the same situation. Sucks.

MissUser1011
@bell.ca

MissUser1011

Anon

I dont really mind the upload speed, I just need consistant download speed, does bell give you consistent 15gb down (or close to it)?

XanderLo
join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

If your line can handle a 17-18mbps sync, reliable 15mbps is achievable.

MissUser1011
@bell.ca

MissUser1011

Anon

How do I test that?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by MissUser1011 :

How do I test that?

There is only one way to know for sure: order, test, demand a refund if you do cannot get anywhere near it since they should have rejected the order if they cannot fulfill it.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to MissUser1011

Anon

to MissUser1011
No one can give you a definite answer. Broadband speed is all location dependent. You say that Rogers is crap due to their speed, that is only your experience. There are a lot of people who have never had problems with the speed on Rogers. This could be a result of poor line quality, or node congestion. On Bell you may not get consistent speeds due to distance from a CO or Remote, or due to old internal wiring. You simply can't know unless you try. Pretty sure Bell has a money back guarantee so that you can cancel without fees or penalties within a certain period of time so you can test and see whether it will work out for you.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to MissUser1011

to MissUser1011
you can get an estimate on your attainable rates by checking line statistics on a compatible dsl modem.

If you cannot get the line statistics from your modem, bell Can give them to you as well, you can make a post in their direct forum (if you are already with bell)

here is what a good line looks like... attenuation is below 25db on the download.

[img]
»dl.dropbox.com/u/570792/ ··· ng[/img]

MissUser1011
@bell.ca

MissUser1011 to yyzlhr

Anon

to yyzlhr
any idea how I can check line statistics on modem?
InvalidError

InvalidError to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

you can get an estimate on your attainable rates by checking line statistics on a compatible dsl modem.

That works only for people who already have working DSL service.
said by Cloneman:

here is what a good line looks like... attenuation is below 25db on the download.

Your link returned 404.

I doubt OP would qualify for 15/10 if he had 25dB attenuation on ADSL1 since that would put him over the 1km mark whereas Bell's limit for VDSL2 is around 800m.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by InvalidError:

Your link returned 404.

I doubt OP would qualify for 15/10 if he had 25dB attenuation on ADSL1 since that would put him over the 1km mark whereas Bell's limit for VDSL2 is around 800m.

There's no real relationship between ADSL1 line stats and VDSL2 line stats, since ADSL1 is more likely to be directly on the CO, while VDSL2 is guaranteed to be on the closest remote.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by Guspaz:

There's no real relationship between ADSL1 line stats and VDSL2 line stats

There is, albeit an indirect one.

ADSL1 uses signals up to 1.5MHz which has ~20dB/km attenuation
ADSL2 uses signals up to 3MHz which has ~25dB/km attenuation
VDSL2 12a uses signals all the way to 12MHz which has 40+dB/km attenuation
said by Guspaz:

ADSL1 is more likely to be directly on the CO, while VDSL2 is guaranteed to be on the closest remote.

I would be curious about how many people get ADSL1 from CO vs remotes in areas where ADSL2+ or VDSL2 is available. While we have anecdotal evidence from handfuls of people having distance-related sync issues or getting booted off remotes every month, we also have a silent majority: the tens/hundreds of thousands of people using xDSL without any problems.

My hunch is that CO-fed ADSL1/ADSL2+ is the exception rather than the norm these days.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

My comment was geared more toward checking how stable 15/1 would be, although I didn't now that ads attenuation was not a good indicator of vdsl attenuation

Guspaz: aren't multiple pieces of equipment hosted at each remote?

For example I have 3 DSL lines coming in, each one is hooked up to a different brand of equipment at the remote, somehow I doubt there's 3 remotes in my area.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by Cloneman:

My comment was geared more toward checking how stable 15/1 would be, although I didn't now that ads attenuation was not a good indicator of vdsl attenuation

For example I have 3 DSL lines coming in, each one is hooked up to a different brand of equipment at the remote, somehow I doubt there's 3 remotes in my area.

There's multiple equipment at the CO.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

said by kovy7:

said by Cloneman:

There's multiple equipment at the CO.

And you can also have multiple types of equipement at 'traditional' remotes (RSLAMS, SSLAMS, TSLAMS, COMBOS, etc etc).

And you can have both alcatel and lucent equipment at the OPI/JWI.

Not arguing against your point Kovy, just adding my 2 cents
Conner03
join:2007-09-10
Whitby, ON

Conner03 to MissUser1011

to MissUser1011
Depends on how close you are to the Intarweb equipment.

Whatever it is it will be consistent, as you are not sharing your connection as you would be with Rogers. (kids come home and the Rogers tree branches droop from the traffic)

Clean your phone jack with a pencil eraser and it might even go up.