site

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

New Internet plans Comcast is working on!!

»i.imgur.com/jBKd4.jpg

My friend managed to get this image. Looks like they're completely changing both the internet plans and the modems you get. I know it wasn't supposed to go out, but I HAD to share this. All I have is this one image, no further details about it. There's some fine print on the bottom that's kind of hard to read, but it looks like it says that it's not final.

I want these plans NOW!!

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

Please tell me your friend does not work in the NE section of the US.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA

2 edits

Awesome, but it would depend on caps.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
reply to anon8142012

These plans are already public information in the NE region. Pretty sure they only apply to the NE region anyway.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to anon8142012

300/75 for $120? That's optimistic.

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
reply to anon8142012

100/25 for $99
300/75 for $119

So, triple the speed for $20 more per month?! Wow!

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by voiptalk:

100/25 for $99
300/75 for $119

So, triple the speed for $20 more per month?! Wow!

Yeah, not buying that.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to anon8142012

It appears to be slide 19/32, so it could be 1 plan that was survey'd, or "We can't do this" or promo pricing with QUAD$$$ play or base price with 50GB or whatever.
I'd have to see more slides or an actual mock flyer/press release before I get on that boat.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to anon8142012

If the prices look reasonable expect a catch 22, in which case Performance look reasonable at $49.

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to anon8142012

I look forward to saving $20/month. I don't expect it to actually happen, though.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to anon8142012

Salt for everyone.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to whfsdude

NE as in North East or NE as in New England.

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
reply to anon8142012

This seems too good to be true. 300mbps for $119/month is a steal.

If this isn't fake, it might be in FiOS-only areas. There's no reason to deploy this in areas dominated by 3-mbit DSL.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to anon8142012

We aren't far away from these plans now. $70 for 50/10? That is the current blast service, and that is just a tad less than I pay now. The only two plans that are much less are the top two plans. With the caps the way they are now, I would only get the blast service. Now, if they had larger caps for the faster speeds, then I would consider getting them. Right now, that isn't the case though.

This slide is interesting to say the least. Its plausible to see this kind of pricing.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Basically all those other speeds are already known and there since Comcast already rolled those out in the NE (North East). The 300 for $119 though might be pushing it, i'd see $149 or even $179 to try undercut Verizon a bit but guess we will see soon enough

I just want 100-120Mbps and 15-20Mbps Up and i'm golden!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by SHoTTa35 :

Basically all those other speeds are already known and there since Comcast already rolled those out in the NE (North East). The 300 for $119 though might be pushing it, i'd see $149 or even $179 to try undercut Verizon a bit but guess we will see soon enough

I just want 100-120Mbps and 15-20Mbps Up and i'm golden!

With that speed, I want to see 750gb-1TB monthly caps included.
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

But at that price, I'd guess that you are going to see overages, probably above 300GB.
It's the only way to explain the really cheap rates at the top end.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by tshirt:

But at that price, I'd guess that you are going to see overages, probably above 300GB.
It's the only way to explain the really cheap rates at the top end.

With the caps currently being evaluated, I don't know what to expect. It is my hope that larger caps come with faster plans. That hasn't been ironed out. I would agree with you that the cheap rates on the top end may be in relation to just keeping the lower caps. It certainly sounds plausible.
--

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
reply to anon8142012

As always ... add $15.00 a month if you do not subscribe to their cableTV.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to anon8142012

To me, this slide looks like something out of a Comcast marketing department brainstorming meeting, maybe held several months ago, when they first got word of Verizon FiOS coming out with their “Quantum” (300/65) tier. Then sometime later on, they finalized their plans with the recently announced “Platinum” 305/65 tier and the Northeast speed upgrades.

From the speeds quoted (100 vs. 105, 300/75 vs. 305/65), the names used for some of the tiers (“Premier” vs. “Platinum”), to the incredible price for that “300/75” tier (I think it was a typo and was supposed to say "$199" instead of "$119"), I have to agree with the others who are very skeptical about this.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to newview

10 isn't it?

greg925

join:2010-12-23
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to anon8142012

wow if these prices are true Comcast has definitely got upper hand on Verizon fios since the prices are so cheap compared to verizon fios 300 mbps Comcast make this come true I hope they get these speeds for business class internet as well And I will definately even pay up to $200 for 300 mbps for business class

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to anon8142012

Click for full size
Interesting to compare against what is offered in this area:

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
reply to Cheese

-- $15.00 here and has been for YEARS

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

said by newview:

Hmmm

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to travelguy

$30 for 2 up is awesome.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to anon8142012

Well, Karl Bode now has an item up on this in his ISP News area: »Here's Comcast's Coming Speed, Pricing Lineup

In his news item he says: "I checked with a trusted source at Comcast and was told that this will be Comcast's lineup in "competitive" (read: FiOS) areas, and that these prices are accurate. The source tells me the first markets to see these speeds and prices will be predominately FiOS markets in early 2013, with most of Comcast's markets seeing these options by the end of next year."

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to AVD

Right, but do I have to have another service like TV to get that price ?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to anon8142012

Assuming these speeds and pricing system is real (except for the 300/75 tier...I somehow doubt that it'll be $20 more than 100/25)...

Nice to see Comcast is utilizing their newly deployed upstream bonding to give people better upstream speeds. For me, assuming the 300/75 tier is BS, 100/25 is good enough on the upstream side that I wouldn't whine quite as loudly if I wasn't in a fiber-serviced area (though I'd still take FiOS over this). The added speed is particularly nice on the low end...having 5 Mbps up as standard will make a lot of folks' lives easier when it comes time to upload photos, videos, etc. From someone who just moved out of a Comcast area though, it's annoying to see Comcast's standard tier getting as much upload speed as the absolute fastest tiers available on most in the US. But hey, good on them. It's also nice to see download speeds increasing at a good pace (Performance will end up with better speeds than Blast got upgraded to last year...or this year, depending on the area).

On the devices side, I'm glad that Comcast will be offering tiers of devices, in case you want to lease a modem from them and bring your own router. I'm surprised by the lack of gigabit ports on the lower-end gateways though, since every DOCSIS 3 modem out there has gigabit Ethernet coming out of it. Maybe Comcast is custom-ordering some cheap new D3 gateway for its lower tiers (Basic/Performance/Preferred). At any rate, the devices aren't stellar spec-wise (I can get a 300M N router with gigabit ports for $60, or one with 100M ports for $30) but the pricing per month isn't the worst that's out there.

One key thing with these plans is that they are being suggested for Q2 2013. That's likely 6+ months away. On the plus side, it gives Comcast time to push upstream bonding, eight downstreams, etc. to more places so that everyone can get advertised speeds. On the negative side, folks will have to wait a bit to see these tiers, particularly if they aren't in a FiOS market (okay, EPB-served areas might get this too).

Also, pricing on the tiers isn't that spectacular when you add $15 for non-bundled access. Basic would end up at $44 per month, similar to what 1.5/384 is now (or is it 3/768?) Performance is $64. Preferred is $84, slightly more than the price that I paid for Ultra ($80 including modem rental) a few years ago. Then again, it has higher speeds than Ultra. Extreme is the same $115 as it is now.

Another thing that I'm guessing will happen: you won't get automatic speed upgrades for at least some of the current tiers because the new tier names and prices are different. Performance and Extreme may have upgrades applied automatically, but Comcast's lowest-end tiers may require an upgrade to get to Basic, and Blast may need to be re-tiered to arrive at Preferred. This may strip off promotional rates in some cases.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

said by iansltx:

Also, pricing on the tiers isn't that spectacular when you add $15 for non-bundled access.

I know Karl said these were the bundled prices, but I'm not convinced that's the case. The comparison I did was against the unbundled price. In any case, I'm not sure you have to add $15 to each tier. My August bill came with a 5 page pricing sheet for the current products. That sheet shows the following unbundled surcharge:

Economy Plus = $13
Perf Starter = $0
Perf = $9
Blast! = $9
Extreme 50 = $15
Extreme 100 = $0