uniqs

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to newview

Premium Member

to newview

Re: New Internet plans Comcast is working on!!

10 isn't it?
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925 to anon8142012

to anon8142012
wow if these prices are true Comcast has definitely got upper hand on Verizon fios since the prices are so cheap compared to verizon fios 300 mbps Comcast make this come true I hope they get these speeds for business class internet as well And I will definately even pay up to $200 for 300 mbps for business class
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to anon8142012

to anon8142012
Click for full size
Interesting to compare against what is offered in this area:

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
-- $15.00 here and has been for YEARS

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by newview:

Hmmm

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy
$30 for 2 up is awesome.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to anon8142012

MVM

to anon8142012
Well, Karl Bode now has an item up on this in his ISP News area: »Here's Comcast's Coming Speed, Pricing Lineup [141] comments

In his news item he says: "I checked with a trusted source at Comcast and was told that this will be Comcast's lineup in "competitive" (read: FiOS) areas, and that these prices are accurate. The source tells me the first markets to see these speeds and prices will be predominately FiOS markets in early 2013, with most of Comcast's markets seeing these options by the end of next year."
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron to AVD

to AVD
Right, but do I have to have another service like TV to get that price ?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to anon8142012

to anon8142012
Assuming these speeds and pricing system is real (except for the 300/75 tier...I somehow doubt that it'll be $20 more than 100/25)...

Nice to see Comcast is utilizing their newly deployed upstream bonding to give people better upstream speeds. For me, assuming the 300/75 tier is BS, 100/25 is good enough on the upstream side that I wouldn't whine quite as loudly if I wasn't in a fiber-serviced area (though I'd still take FiOS over this). The added speed is particularly nice on the low end...having 5 Mbps up as standard will make a lot of folks' lives easier when it comes time to upload photos, videos, etc. From someone who just moved out of a Comcast area though, it's annoying to see Comcast's standard tier getting as much upload speed as the absolute fastest tiers available on most in the US. But hey, good on them. It's also nice to see download speeds increasing at a good pace (Performance will end up with better speeds than Blast got upgraded to last year...or this year, depending on the area).

On the devices side, I'm glad that Comcast will be offering tiers of devices, in case you want to lease a modem from them and bring your own router. I'm surprised by the lack of gigabit ports on the lower-end gateways though, since every DOCSIS 3 modem out there has gigabit Ethernet coming out of it. Maybe Comcast is custom-ordering some cheap new D3 gateway for its lower tiers (Basic/Performance/Preferred). At any rate, the devices aren't stellar spec-wise (I can get a 300M N router with gigabit ports for $60, or one with 100M ports for $30) but the pricing per month isn't the worst that's out there.

One key thing with these plans is that they are being suggested for Q2 2013. That's likely 6+ months away. On the plus side, it gives Comcast time to push upstream bonding, eight downstreams, etc. to more places so that everyone can get advertised speeds. On the negative side, folks will have to wait a bit to see these tiers, particularly if they aren't in a FiOS market (okay, EPB-served areas might get this too).

Also, pricing on the tiers isn't that spectacular when you add $15 for non-bundled access. Basic would end up at $44 per month, similar to what 1.5/384 is now (or is it 3/768?) Performance is $64. Preferred is $84, slightly more than the price that I paid for Ultra ($80 including modem rental) a few years ago. Then again, it has higher speeds than Ultra. Extreme is the same $115 as it is now.

Another thing that I'm guessing will happen: you won't get automatic speed upgrades for at least some of the current tiers because the new tier names and prices are different. Performance and Extreme may have upgrades applied automatically, but Comcast's lowest-end tiers may require an upgrade to get to Basic, and Blast may need to be re-tiered to arrive at Preferred. This may strip off promotional rates in some cases.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by iansltx:

Also, pricing on the tiers isn't that spectacular when you add $15 for non-bundled access.

I know Karl said these were the bundled prices, but I'm not convinced that's the case. The comparison I did was against the unbundled price. In any case, I'm not sure you have to add $15 to each tier. My August bill came with a 5 page pricing sheet for the current products. That sheet shows the following unbundled surcharge:

Economy Plus = $13
Perf Starter = $0
Perf = $9
Blast! = $9
Extreme 50 = $15
Extreme 100 = $0

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to anon8142012

to anon8142012
Couple of comments/questions:

1. Can the current Comcast infrastructure support 300 mb/s? I mean, the pedestal hardware, underground coax to the peds, amplifiers, in-house splitters, wiring etc., with ~100 to ~200 connections to the same node.

2. Also, remember receiving data and sending data involves transmitting something like 1,500 byte packets through many intermediate coax cables, amplifiers, switches, routers, fiber, etc. over multiple paths between both ends of a "connection." Furthermore, the other end of your connection's bandwidth may be limited to much less than what you purchased from Comcast. Can we rely on those intermediate stations to continuously and reliably transmit at 300 mb/s? This may mean that although the high speeds are advertised, only a limited number of subs on a node may buy it. Sorta' like DSL providers advertising "up to 25 mb/s" but you can only get 3 mb/s because the hardware in your neighborhood only supports that so you are limited to purchasing the lower bandwidth tier.

With all the upgrades Comcast has installed, maybe they can promise and deliver these speeds to anyone willing to pay for them.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to anon8142012

to anon8142012
Isn't Verizon charging around $200 for their 300 connection ? I HIGHLY doubt Comcast would only charge 119 for theirs, and now that I think about it wasn't Comcast supposed to be 305, to one up Verizon ?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to anon8142012

to anon8142012

(topic move) [OT] Morality Discussion

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 8 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[OT] Morality Discussion

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to ExoticFish

MVM

to ExoticFish

Re: New Internet plans Comcast is working on!!

said by ExoticFish:

Isn't Verizon charging around $200 for their 300 connection ? I HIGHLY doubt Comcast would only charge 119 for theirs, and now that I think about it wasn't Comcast supposed to be 305, to one up Verizon ?

Yes, that's why I was very skeptical in my initial post (»Re: New Internet plans Comcast is working on!!) about all this.

Besides falling back to 300 Mbps from 305, and changing the (just announced) name of that tier from "Platinum" to "Premier", that $119 price just seems way out of place. I really think it was a typo and should have been $199, matching Verizon FiOS's announced price for that speed.

It may be that the slide shows an earlier, preliminary plan, and then later on, some more changes were made to it that has resulted in the new tier announcements and speed changes we've seen recently.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to anon8142012

Premium Member

to anon8142012
wonder how long this will take to hit Philly Metro/Freedom Region.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

If FiOS is available, I'd look for the 300 tier relatively soon. I'm not counting on it being available to most users anytime soon.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

Comcast has to offer something more than FiOS, they cannot simply match.

1. You're getting less upload with Comcast.
2. It's higher latency than fiber.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

3. And more jitter.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to anon8142012

Premium Member

to anon8142012
At least Comcast still plans on offering cheaper plans to people who can't afford or don't want the top tiers, unlike stupid a** Charter!

Charter recently reduced their tiers down to only 2 plans (30M & 100M) and you can't even use your own modem anymore, although they say there is no more modem rental fee. Yeah, right!

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

3 edits

JigglyWiggly to EG

to EG
The only reason to stick with comcast over FIOS would be if you are not a gamer. Comcast's routing is mediocre compared to ATT's or Verizon's.

I don't know why they don't just make DOCSIS not all jittery.
Docsis 4.0 should do that, I mean DSL doesn't have any issues.

though 300 megabits at 130$ is kind of tempting if I lived in one of those areas.
But to be honest, once you get that fast, it's not quite fast enough for the fast things you'd want to be doing.

It's only fast enough once you have gigabit symetrical so you can actually treat the pc over the internet as if it were on your LAN.

75 megabits is nowhere close to that.
I also don't see how it would be possible to due 1 gigabit upload on their current cables or w/e. But I have no idea, you could go back to 2002 and say 300megabits on copper would be impossible.

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese

Premium Member

I play games, everynight, no issues with CC. At all.............

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

EG to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

Comcast's routing is mediocre compared to ATT's or Verizon's.

Sweeping statement / broad generalization ?

I don't know why they don't just make DOCSIS not all jittery.
Docsis 4.0 should do that,

Nature of the beast ?

though 300 megabits at 130$ is kind of tempting if I lived in one of those areas.
But to be honest, once you get that fast, it's not quite fast enough for the fast things you'd want to be doing.

It's only fast enough once you have gigabit symetrical so you can actually treat the pc over the internet as if it were on your LAN.

Wonder how many remote servers are out there that can actually push that speed ?

75 megabits is nowhere close to that.
I also don't see how it would be possible to due 1 gigabit upload on their current cables or w/e. But I have no idea, you could go back to 2002 and say 300megabits on copper would be impossible.

ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

1 edit

ExoticFish to whfsdude

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by ExoticFish:

Yeah ? I wasn't asking why, I know why.

My point was that Comcast announced a 305 tier, the image shows 300.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by ExoticFish:

3. No caps on FIOS

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

Wonder how many remote servers are out there that can actually push that speed ?

Its not about single connections anymore, there are so many devices on my lan and they are always pulling data. If I had more bandwidth, I would add even more (mostly media boxes)
AVD

AVD to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

3. No caps on FIOS

this

I guarantee you that these comcast rates are factoring in hard caps with data overages.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by AVD:

I guarantee you that these comcast rates are factoring in hard caps with data overages.

In FiOS markets, doubtful. Comcast did not even enforce their 250 gig cap here when they had it. This is even on congested nodes.

FiOS is a huge threat to them. Verizon here is almost done with their build out and will have the rest of the city done within a year and a half.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

said by EG:

Its not about single connections anymore, there are so many devices on my lan and they are always pulling data. If I had more bandwidth, I would add even more (mostly media boxes)

Point well taken !

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit

JigglyWiggly to Cheese

to Cheese
you are not a pro aimer, gotta have that surgeon aim
once you get on my level, all ping, click the image to zoom in, it's big
»dl.dropbox.com/u/4629417 ··· xer3.png
i'm not going to embed that, it's too large for this page.

also to EG
what do you mean?
just have a router that can push around a gigabit (pfsense) or if you have a fast consumer router you could probably do 500 mb/s
and then transfer files if both sides are gigabit
which I don't think we'll see for a long time
Expand your moderator at work