share rss forum feed

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to JigglyWiggly

Re: New Internet plans Comcast is working on!!

I play games, everynight, no issues with CC. At all.............

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to JigglyWiggly

said by JigglyWiggly:

Comcast's routing is mediocre compared to ATT's or Verizon's.

Sweeping statement / broad generalization ?

I don't know why they don't just make DOCSIS not all jittery.
Docsis 4.0 should do that,

Nature of the beast ?

though 300 megabits at 130$ is kind of tempting if I lived in one of those areas.
But to be honest, once you get that fast, it's not quite fast enough for the fast things you'd want to be doing.

It's only fast enough once you have gigabit symetrical so you can actually treat the pc over the internet as if it were on your LAN.

Wonder how many remote servers are out there that can actually push that speed ?

75 megabits is nowhere close to that.
I also don't see how it would be possible to due 1 gigabit upload on their current cables or w/e. But I have no idea, you could go back to 2002 and say 300megabits on copper would be impossible.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 edit
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by ExoticFish:

Isn't Verizon charging around $200 for their 300 connection ? I HIGHLY doubt Comcast would only charge 119 for theirs, and now that I think about it wasn't Comcast supposed to be 305, to one up Verizon ?

Comcast has to offer something more than FiOS, they cannot simply match.

1. You're getting less upload with Comcast.
2. It's higher latency than fiber.

Yeah ? I wasn't asking why, I know why.

My point was that Comcast announced a 305 tier, the image shows 300.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by ExoticFish:

Isn't Verizon charging around $200 for their 300 connection ? I HIGHLY doubt Comcast would only charge 119 for theirs, and now that I think about it wasn't Comcast supposed to be 305, to one up Verizon ?

Comcast has to offer something more than FiOS, they cannot simply match.

1. You're getting less upload with Comcast.
2. It's higher latency than fiber.

3. No caps on FIOS
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to EG

said by EG:

It's only fast enough once you have gigabit symetrical so you can actually treat the pc over the internet as if it were on your LAN.

Wonder how many remote servers are out there that can actually push that speed ?

Its not about single connections anymore, there are so many devices on my lan and they are always pulling data. If I had more bandwidth, I would add even more (mostly media boxes)
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

3. No caps on FIOS

this

I guarantee you that these comcast rates are factoring in hard caps with data overages.
--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by AVD:

I guarantee you that these comcast rates are factoring in hard caps with data overages.

In FiOS markets, doubtful. Comcast did not even enforce their 250 gig cap here when they had it. This is even on congested nodes.

FiOS is a huge threat to them. Verizon here is almost done with their build out and will have the rest of the city done within a year and a half.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by EG:

Its not about single connections anymore, there are so many devices on my lan and they are always pulling data. If I had more bandwidth, I would add even more (mostly media boxes)

Point well taken !

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit
reply to Cheese

you are not a pro aimer, gotta have that surgeon aim
once you get on my level, all ping, click the image to zoom in, it's big
»dl.dropbox.com/u/46294175/hacker/haxer3.png
i'm not going to embed that, it's too large for this page.

also to EG
what do you mean?
just have a router that can push around a gigabit (pfsense) or if you have a fast consumer router you could probably do 500 mb/s
and then transfer files if both sides are gigabit
which I don't think we'll see for a long time

Expand your moderator at work

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

reply to anon8142012

Re: New Internet plans Comcast is working on!!

I play BF3 over Xbox Live, I have Performance for HSI, I play the game just fine. No problem for me, I even have 2 other people on my Wireless Network on there too at the same time.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

4 edits
reply to Anon

quake live's netcode is very finicky. There is a huge difference according to players between LAN and 20 ms ping. I can't confirm, I've never played on LAN. But there is a HUGE difference between 20 and 60. With Comcast I get 40-50 ms ping to LA, and I get 20ms to LA with att's DSL. Also way less jitter on ATT.
it feels a lot better with 20ms as well.
The LG sticks better, and the rails don't go through as much.
Quake live's LG and Railgun are all server side, and you can ask anyone on the forums, there is a big difference.

Comcast is bad for games.

not

@comcast.net
reply to anon8142012

How are these new? I'm currently getting 25/5 and getting dinged $49/month... an increase of $5 from where it used to be.

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to travelguy

said by travelguy:

Interesting to compare against what is offered in this area:

Those current rates don't really jive with what I'm paying now. I pay $72.95 for Blast, with no TV service. If I'm paying a $15 penalty for having unbundled service that would put Blast at $57.95.

Still, I'll be cutting back to Performance the day these new plans go into effect. Should save somewhere between $8 and $20 per month.

Sean3040

join:2012-10-20
reply to travelguy

Where will these plans be available? How can you confirm that Comcast will release these plans?

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

said by Sean3040:

Where will these plans be available? How can you confirm that Comcast will release these plans?

Call your local office. The pricing varies by region. Those prices are available now in my area per the bill insert. YMMV

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Oh yeah ? You can get the 300 package for $119 ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Tekneek

join:2012-02-19
Bethlehem, GA
reply to anon8142012

Similar to what others have suggested, this sounds possibly like new base rates for the speeds/service and then metered data usage. That would be awful. Fast speeds are less meaningful with data caps/metered usage.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by Tekneek:

Fast speeds are less meaningful with data caps/metered usage.

If I was selling a metered service, I would set it unrestricted for all.
--

Sean3040

join:2012-10-20
reply to travelguy

What area are you from that you got that bill insert?

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to ssavoy

said by ssavoy:

This seems too good to be true. 300mbps for $119/month is a steal.

If this isn't fake, it might be in FiOS-only areas. There's no reason to deploy this in areas dominated by 3-mbit DSL.

Nah, other than do something stupid, like, oh make the customers happy.

secomcastn

@comcast.net
reply to travelguy

What market are you in? Where did you get this information? When will this occur? Are you sure it's going to happen? Where will this happen (areas/market)

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to anon8142012

Bandwidth costs are going down, yet as they increase the speeds, they are increasing the price. IMO $49 is just too expensive for Internet.

I'll drop down to the $29 if these plans go into effect.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to Sean3040

Click for full size

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

they nickel and dime you

Secomcastn

@comcast.net
reply to travelguy

What market are you in? Was this actually in your bill or did you just find this somewhere? Is it true they will accomplish this by upgrading thier network from HFC to PON?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

They will be hfc and pon. The people that want the 305 tier will have fiber ran.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to Secomcastn

It was part of a much larger bill insert that covered all of Comcast services.