antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
So all TWC's DCX3400 DVRs are 320GB? I never checked mine. According to its PDF manual, that would be 110-210 SD hours and 30-45 HD hours.

Does this DVR let us put recordings on external HDDs and are they encrypted?

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

1 recommendation

rv65

Premium Member

All DCX running iGuide and DCX-m boxes running Navigator do not support eSATA. Some motorola headends in Canada and in the US allow eSATA and the recordings are encrypted and tied to the box.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by rv65:

All DCX running iGuide and DCX-m boxes running Navigator do not support eSATA. Some motorola headends in Canada and in the US allow eSATA and the recordings are encrypted and tied to the box.

Ah thanks.
Steeve
Premium Member
join:2004-08-19

Steeve to broadabroad

Premium Member

to broadabroad
Some dcx3400M models have 500 gb drives

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Actually all TWC DCX3400-M boxes have 500 GB HDD's.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by rv65:

Actually all TWC DCX3400-M boxes have 500 GB HDD's.

Hmm, I wonder if mine is M or not. Does the DVR's external label says M if it is M model?

vertigo
@myvzw.com

vertigo

Anon

Correct. The DCX3400, without the M is 320 GB. The DCX3400-M is 500 GB. The model on the box would tell you DCX3400-M if it was. A local TWC store had the DCX3400-M on display but the Navigator software is quite a bit slower than the iguide on the regular DCX3400. Perhaps the new black guide roll out will speed up the M boxes, but right now they haven't gotten updated in the LA area so I'd wait.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by vertigo :

Correct. The DCX3400, without the M is 320 GB. The DCX3400-M is 500 GB. The model on the box would tell you DCX3400-M if it was. A local TWC store had the DCX3400-M on display but the Navigator software is quite a bit slower than the iguide on the regular DCX3400. Perhaps the new black guide roll out will speed up the M boxes, but right now they haven't gotten updated in the LA area so I'd wait.

Oh, -M uses Navigator? Mine was using iGuide. So, mine is not -M model then! Strange that similiar DVRs using different DVR software guides. Wait, does that mean non-M models will get Navigator one day?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by antdude:

said by vertigo :

Oh, -M uses Navigator? Mine was using iGuide. So, mine is not -M model then! Strange that similiar DVRs using different DVR software guides. Wait, does that mean non-M models will get Navigator one day?

probably not for a long time as they just upgraded the software on the non M models to allow for StartOver/Lookback/Caller id on tv and eventually remote DVR. Also the DCX-M boxes use the cable modem inside them to communicate with the headend for guide data, VOD requests, caller id on tv info, cloud guide data, etc.

I don't think TWC has tested the cable modems in the DCX3200 and DCX3400s with navigator software. Also I don't know how the boxes would fair if they tried to load navigator onto them as the DCX3200 and DCX3400 are using legacy QSPK communications with the headend and the Navigator version on the DCX-M uses the cable modem so they might not be able to do a cutover to Navigator as they have not developed a legacy version for motorola boxes to convert the software.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

probably not for a long time as they just upgraded the software on the non M models to allow for StartOver/Lookback/Caller id on tv and eventually remote DVR. Also the DCX-M boxes use the cable modem inside them to communicate with the headend for guide data, VOD requests, caller id on tv info, cloud guide data, etc.

I don't think TWC has tested the cable modems in the DCX3200 and DCX3400s with navigator software. Also I don't know how the boxes would fair if they tried to load navigator onto them as the DCX3200 and DCX3400 are using legacy QSPK communications with the headend and the Navigator version on the DCX-M uses the cable modem so they might not be able to do a cutover to Navigator as they have not developed a legacy version for motorola boxes to convert the software.

Ah OK. I do have Arris TM502G cable modem for digital phone and Internet beside the DVR. I wouldn't want all three services to be in one box (TV, phone, and Internet). Sheesh.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 recommendation

motorola870

said by antdude:

Ah OK. I do have Arris TM502G cable modem for digital phone and Internet beside the DVR. I wouldn't want all three services to be in one box (TV, phone, and Internet). Sheesh.

no it is not the same the cable box just gets guide data and talks to the headend using the modem in the cable box. There is no internet browser or phone in it although comcast is testing skype and facebook on their X1 boxes.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

no it is not the same the cable box just gets guide data and talks to the headend using the modem in the cable box. There is no internet browser or phone in it although comcast is testing skype and facebook on their X1 boxes.

Ah OK.