how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

securityguy

join:2012-08-14
Birmingham, AL

Security Cams and Cable TV

This is my first post here. I browse every now and then when I need help with something.

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do. I've got a security camera like this: »www.amazon.com/Mini-Wireless-Col···s+camera
That I would like to hook up so that I can view it on an unused channel on any TV in my house that is connected to my cable tv connection.

My cable line enters my house and then runs into a 3-way splitter; from there 3 separate coax drops go to the 3 different TVs I have in my house. My cable is analog and my provider is Charter Cable.

I tried connecting an rf modulator like this: »www.amazon.com/Philips-SWS2103W-···odulator
Just before the 3-way splitter. This method worked and I was able to view my camera on all of my TVs on channel 3 but the modulator destroyed my signal on adjacent channels and all other channels had a lot of interference.

So my question is; what do I need to do to remove that interference? I'd like to have my camera broadcasting on channel 3 without interfering with any of the other channels around it. I know this method will work, I just have to figure out how.

Thanks!

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network

1 edit
This would work:
»www.atvresearch.com/add-a-channel.aspx
Edit: Just realized this may not work for what you want, since it can't combine into the middle of a group of channels.

This should work: »www.atvresearch.com/pcm55saw.aspx
Then use the splitters the way you are now, or better yet, a directional coupler/tap »www.atvresearch.com/TSC-SolderBack.aspx
Hook it up backwards, with the IN port towards the television and the OUT towards the cable source. The channel you're adding goes on the TAP port. A -6db would work fine.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
Thanks, but is there anything that's cheaper than that? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to keep my costs as low as I can.

UHF
Premium,MVM
That modulator isn't going to produce a clean signal. You need one with filtering in it so it doesn't splatter all over the adjacent channels.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
Well, I guess I'll just hook it up to one of my TV's instead of broadcasting it to all of them. I didn't realize I'd have to spend that much on the equipment necessary to do this. $80-$90 seems awfully steep for what I'm doing. If it was around $20 that would be great, but I don't think I'm going to find anything that cheap.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to securityguy
Inserting into "unused" channels is a hit or miss in modern cable systems. Many of the "unused" channels are digital.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
When I say unused I mean a channel that I don't watch. For me I never watch channel 3 so it wouldn't be a loss if it was replaced with my security camera feed.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to securityguy
If there's already and active channel there you'll have to filter it out first, then insert the new channel. The price just go even higher! I used to have a channel 3 combiner that worked reasonably well for doing that and wasn't all that expensive. I'll see if I can track one down.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
It's baffling to me how CCTV has been around so long and yet everything is still so expensive. Doesn't make sense.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to securityguy
"Expensive" is a relative term
This is more in your price range: »www.3starinc.com/eagle_aspen_sc-···ner.html

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

1 recommendation

reply to securityguy
$100 expensive?

You'd shit a brick if you saw the equipment bigger installs use.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by Edrick:

$100 expensive?
You'd shit a brick if you saw the equipment bigger installs use.

I was thinking the same

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to securityguy
You can get old Blonder Tongue modulators on fleabay for $50. Straight out of the CATV headend.

Cheap modulators (less than $200) usually have to be padded down. If the channel is occupied, it has to be filtered first. A UHF modulator might actually work better in your case.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to UHF
ditto

I wanted to replace a rotor antenna with two fixed antennas in order to get all the OTA channels without having to point the antenna. When I tried to price how much it would cost to do it properly many of the parts (multi-channel filter-amplifier, channel-traps/notch-filter) where $$$ each

I got lucky and a passive combiner worked fine (a $5 part) but some of the distant stations are clearly not as strong as they used to be (and still would be with the expensive gear).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

secguy123

@bellsouth.net
reply to UHF
My posts from my registered account are being held for some reason, so I'll have to post anonymously instead.

UHF, the combiner you linked to specified that channel 3 must be unused and in my case it's already being used. I did notice when looking at the channel lineup provided by Charter that I have a block of channels from 63-80 that are unused. They aren't even listed on Charter's tv guide or any other guide and all I pick up on those channels is static. I found this device: »www.shoptronics.com/nyrius-nrfm1···tor.html
which would allow me to tune to one of those vacant channels since it covers that range. From the reviews I've read it seems others have hooked security cameras up without any issues. Would this work in place of the other modulator I tried or would I still run into the same issues with interference? From the specs it appears that it IS an agile modulator which is what I'd need.

Also, if I were to get a digital set top box from Charter in order to receive digital channels, would this modulator interfere with its signal?

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to UHF
That might work, although it says that channel 3 must currently be unused. In my case, there is a channel there, although I never watch it. So I don't know if that would work or not.

Would something like this work? »www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NRFM100-Un···scending

I can already see that the problem I'm going to run into is whether or not there is a signal on the channel I'm replacing. There are about 5 channels I no longer get because they've switched over to digital, but I have no idea if they are still using the same channel only in a digital mode or if they've moved to another, higher, channel.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to UHF
Thanks, that's more like it! Would that do what I need it to without interfering with my other channels?

Also, out of curiosity would a device like this work? »www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NRFM100-Un···scending
Probably not what I'll buy, but I kept seeing these as I was browsing.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to UHF
Well, I don't see anything wrong with wanting to keep the cost down. Didn't realize that was a bad thing around here.

UHF, the signal combiner you linked me to says that channel 3 must be unused. For me, channel 3 is currently being used so that might b e a problem. I did some research and saw that with Charter in my area I have an unused block of channels from 63 to 79. In this case, they actually are unused; there are no broadcasts on this block. I also found this device »www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NRFM100-Un···duct_top
and it covers that range.

Would something like this work? Some of the reviews for it mention a setup similar to mine.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to securityguy
Well, I don't see anything wrong with wanting to keep the cost down. Didn't realize that was a bad thing around here.

UHF, the signal combiner you linked me to says that channel 3 must be unused. For me, channel 3 is currently being used so that might b e a problem. I did some research and saw that with Charter in my area I have an unused block of channels from 63 to 79. In this case, they actually are unused; there are no broadcasts on this block. I also found this device »www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NRFM100-Un···duct_top
and it covers that range.
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to securityguy

Re: Security Cams and Cable TV

said by securityguy:

Just before the 3-way splitter. This method worked and I was able to view my camera on all of my TVs on channel 3 but the modulator destroyed my signal on adjacent channels and all other channels had a lot of interference. Thanks!

First of all you need to block any channel 3 signal from the CATV side, and then you can insert your own channel 3 signal padded down to match the signal strength of the CATV system to feed downstream to your sets.

As Nunya mentioned you can do this with a used commercial modulator such as a Blonder Tongue BAVM which has a clean output with an output level control.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Blonder-Tongue-···ca24f504

As you have discovered if you do not pad the signal down to match the strength of the incoming CATV signal you will wipe out adjacent CATV channels and if you do not block channel 3 coming in it will intermodulate with your local signal causing problems as well.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

INtheKnow

@charter.com
reply to securityguy
" I did some research and saw that with Charter in my area I have an unused block of channels from 63 to 79. "

Please dont do this without consulting with Charter first you are going to end up shutting all of the modems in your node down including your own. also you are going to kill alot of your digital channels.
Ch 63 thru 79 are used for digital channels and Modem carriers. you'll need a 5 MHz - 50 MHz filter to put on the input before you modulate to prevent your camera feed from backfeeding as noise on the cable plant. "
Roll Tide!!!!!

INtheKnow

@charter.com
reply to 49528867
A word to the wise. You are going to get exactly what you are paying for in that $18 camera. It is going to be crap you would be much more happy if you check into a Lorex or Qsee or Swan setup that is available at Sams or Costco in your area that comes with 4 to 8 weather proof night vision cameras and a networked DVR that have a decent range on them. Also come with apps for smart phones ant pads for remote viewing and motion detection. for around $500. Then you have no need to modulate signals.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to secguy123
said by secguy123 :

I did notice when looking at the channel lineup provided by Charter that I have a block of channels from 63-80 that are unused. They aren't even listed on Charter's tv guide or any other guide and all I pick up on those channels is static.

I would wager that those channels are in use for data such as HSD downstream, VOD, or HDTV.

If you put the modulator on there, you're likely to decimate susch services in your home.

I used to do something similar with my Xbox 360, I back fed the xbox using an rf modulator so I could play it on any TV in the house... I just dealt with not being able to watch channel 3 or 5 I put it on channel 4.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to INtheKnow
I'll have you know that my "$18 camera" is working just fine. Thanks. Why would I go and spend $500 when the camera I have is working just fine? I don't throw my money away for no reason.

"Please dont do this without consulting with Charter first"
It's safe to say that Charter will be the LAST place I will consult. I don't care what they have to say on the matter.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to INtheKnow
said by INtheKnow :

" I did some research and saw that with Charter in my area I have an unused block of channels from 63 to 79. "

Please dont do this without consulting with Charter first you are going to end up shutting all of the modems in your node down including your own. also you are going to kill alot of your digital channels.
Ch 63 thru 79 are used for digital channels and Modem carriers. you'll need a 5 MHz - 50 MHz filter to put on the input before you modulate to prevent your camera feed from backfeeding as noise on the cable plant. "
Roll Tide!!!!!

If done properly, the signal wouldn't leave the home.

If done improperly, This would be a good way to get charter to come disconnect your house.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to 49528867
That looks good. How would I block channel 3 to prevent intermod?

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to securityguy
Change of plans. I'm just going to run 3 separate composite video cables from the camera's receiver to each of my 3 TVs. That way I can just switch over to the composite input on any of these TVs and be able to watch my camera that way. I figure this method will be a lot easier than broadcasting it over my Cable TV connection.

I can buy a few cables like this: »www.amazon.com/Male-Quality-Comp···__header
And run my camera's composite video output into a splitter like this: »www.amazon.com/RCA-Video-Splitte···splitter
And then just run cables from the output of that splitter to my TV's.

Much easier, and cheaper.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by securityguy:

Change of plans. I'm just going to run 3 separate composite video cables from the camera's receiver to each of my 3 TVs. That way I can just switch over to the composite input on any of these TVs and be able to watch my camera that way. I figure this method will be a lot easier than broadcasting it over my Cable TV connection.

I can buy a few cables like this: »www.amazon.com/Male-Quality-Comp···__header
And run my camera's composite video output into a splitter like this: »www.amazon.com/RCA-Video-Splitte···splitter
And then just run cables from the output of that splitter to my TV's.

Much easier, and cheaper.

.... so long as your cameras composite out has enough signal to drive the splitters and distance. Remember every time you two way split signal, the resulting output on each leg is half of what you had.

For almost 20 dollars tied up in doing this in composite, your only about 10 dollars away from a negative 3 trap and a fixed blonder tongue 3 channel mod.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to securityguy
said by securityguy:

I like to keep costs down, too, so no it's not a bad thing. The problem is that if done improperly you will interfere with the cable company, and that is a bad thing. I've used a Holland channel 3 combiner and it worked, even though there was already a channel 3 being broadcast. I don't see that particular unit for sale anymore, but I did see it in a channel 4 model.