join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: Rogers NEW Ultimate 150/10 With Hitron

said by HiVolt:

That's psycho.

Agree 1000%. I think some folks lose a grip on reality when it comes to their Internet connection. $268.93 just to surf the web and DL a few movies etc. IMHO time for a little perspective on what it is you're actually paying for......

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

said by kliles:

I wondered that too (I have no idea...) but my first guess was that it is a right-angle power connector so that the box lies flat on the wall?

I can't see it being the power supply. This modem needs an AC to DC conversion, usually in the form of a brick. It also has a traditional power plug on the back. Perhaps it offers some other functionality.

Maybe it's for MoCA (Multimedia over Coax). maybe you plug in an extension cord to it, or it has some retractable cord inside that you pull out and plug it to an outlet for MoCA.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by HiVolt:

Maybe it's for MoCA (Multimedia over Coax). maybe you plug in an extension cord to it, or it has some retractable cord inside that you pull out and plug it to an outlet for MoCA.

Well, considering I spend a massive amount of time researching PC related hardware it sure would be nice if someone were to post the exact model number of Rogers latest cash cow in a box (then we would all know what the heck it is)......

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by creed3020:

said by kliles:

I wondered that too (I have no idea...) but my first guess was that it is a right-angle power connector so that the box lies flat on the wall?

I can't see it being the power supply. This modem needs an AC to DC conversion, usually in the form of a brick. It also has a traditional power plug on the back. Perhaps it offers some other functionality.

But why would Rogers include that? MoCA is not something they support for anything aside from their whole home pvr service and that does not require the set top boxes to be hooked up to any sort of router or modem.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Errr, I meant to say Powerline Networking, not MOCA... sorry...

Maybe they'll be offering one of those plug in adapters that you can plug in wherever you need internet (but wifi doesnt reach or the devices dont have wifi).

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by HiVolt:

Well, considering I spend a massive amount of time researching PC related hardware it sure would be nice if someone were to post the exact model number of Rogers latest cash cow in a box (then we would all know what the heck it is)......

»www.hitron-americas.com/ ··· s/cgn-2/

It's a customized version of the CGN2. The Rogers version has the red spots to make it consistent with the company branding, not sure if there are any internal or firmware based customizations.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
He can blow through the cap downloading "Linux Distros" in under 4 hours.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

said by kliles:

Technically you don't need a brick, it's just cheaper to provide one for the 120/220v 50/60hz conversions.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to LINCSAT

to LINCSAT
Specs are here: »www.hitron-americas.com/ ··· heet.pdf

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Nothing mentioned about that funny plug there...

But at least it's still only 8x4 channel bonding capable, meaning those with 8x4 cisco modems (and other modems on 3rd party providers) arent gonna be left out anytime soon.

elitefx
London, ON

1 recommendation

elitefx

said by HiVolt:

.....meaning those with 8x4 cisco modems (and other modems on 3rd party providers) arent gonna be left out anytime soon.

Yea, Cisco clearly states on it's Retail boxes that the DPC3XXX series is futureproof and IPv6 ready.............

PassingBy
@ica.net

PassingBy to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Looks like a USB charging cube that the OP just sat on that lip. I have a white one from Rayovac that sells at Walmart. You can use it to plug any device with a USB cable into the wall for charging so I doubt it has any relation to this modem at all. I actually plug one into the switched outlet at the back of my Rogers PVR, plug a USB powered fan into it and aim it at an attached external hard drive enclosure to keep it running cooler.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

I lightened the picture up for you guys.

PassingBy
@ica.net

PassingBy to PassingBy

Anon

to PassingBy
said by HiVolt:

I get it now ... that cube plug was just something placed there to hide what looks like a S/N tag behind it.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by PassingBy :

said by HiVolt:

I get it now ... that cube plug was just something placed there to hide what looks like a S/N tag behind it.

Hah! It looks like you may be right.. I hadn't noticed the flat part that its resting on.

Threw us for a nice curveball, and geeky possibilities of what it may be for, lol...

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to PassingBy

to PassingBy
I take my hat off to the OP. Actually that's very clever. That cube has garnered more attention than the Gateway itself. Doesn't take a lot to distract us.....

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to abitbent

Premium Member

to abitbent
said by abitbent:

Rogers Speed! Getting you to your usage cap quicker than ever before!

Hey here's a Ferrari, but don't drive it off the lot! That's just good value for money!

Yeah, it's like building an 18-lane expressway with a 180 kph speed limit but it's only 2 km long...

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
Damm...now I just have to laugh at myself.

We definitely took that one for a run. The absence of anything in the manual should have been our first clue.